Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catalunya v Argentina - Camp Nou - 7:30pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mayordenis wrote: »
    you mean Abidal in defence? He's french.

4-2 now

Albiol maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Des wrote: »
    Xabi Alonso is a Basque

He grew up on the same street as Mikel Arteta.

Xabi also spent a summer in Dublin learning English. He liked GAA i hear.

Morf wrote: »

Ha!, I heard that too on Morning Ireland one morning in the Summer, when Madrid where here training and playing Rovers.

Don't think it went down too well with the Rovers faithful :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yep, meant Albiol. Apologies.

greendom wrote: »
    Osassuna is in Pamplona and so is also a part of the Basque country. If Biarritz had a top flight football team they would be part of it to

It's complicated, even less people there want to be part of a independent Basque country than in the autonomous Basque region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Demichelis has been rank awful tonight.

Not sure how he still plays for Bayern.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

mostle I would agree though

Casillas
    Ramos, Albiol, Marchena, Arbeloa
    Mata/Cazorla/Jaoquin, Iniesta, Senna, Silva
    Villa, Torres

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

But where does it stop?

If there's a Basque/Catalan team does every region get a team?

Galicia, Extremadura and Asturias would all be eligible afaik.

redout wrote: »
    Demichelis has been rank awful tonight.

Not sure how he still plays for Bayern.

Easily one of the most hyped-up and over-rated players in the Bundesliga. Plays well about 10% of the time, 20% Average and the rest utter ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

But where does it stop?

Andalucia would want a part of the action as would the Valencia region

• Advertisement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_communities_of_Spain

the Balaeric Islands would have some decent wingers

But where does it stop?

Galicia do have their own team. Their jersey being diagonal blue stripes on white.

They're not recognised but i imagine they play occasional friendlies like Euskadi and Catalunya.

I always thought of your username as ever so slightly Basque in origin.

mayordenis wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_communities_of_Spain

the Balaeric Islands would have some decent wingers

I think the Balearics throw their lot in with Catalunya.

Jaysis Denis, wiki is taking a hammering tonight :p

I always thought of your username as ever so slightly Basque in origin.

Nahh, German :p

Although I did spend a summer in Bilbao...

Jaysis Denis, wiki is taking a hammering tonight :p

Still not gonna give them a donation the ****ers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Vokes wrote: »
    I guess the best Spain team minus Basque / Catalonia at the moment would be: Casillas; Ramos, Abidol, Arbeloa; Alonso, Iniesta, Senna, Silva; Villa, Torres + 1 other defender .... ?

EDIT/ Actually, no Alonso.

Didn't Iniesta play a game for the Catalans? Not sure where his persuasion would be.

It's complicated, even less people there want to be part of a independent Basque country than in the autonomous Basque region.

Yes, that's true that part has never been as committed to independence as the rest.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Didn't Iniesta play a game for the Catalans? Not sure where his persuasion would be.

I guess that's the thing, not being regulated by Fifa means they don't subscribe to the same rules of nationality eligibility.
    So I guess it's a slight grey area unless they go with 100% place of birth.

• Advertisement

m@cc@ wrote: »

Iniesta was suppose to be a Real Madrid player but his Ma didnt like the area where the cantera was. Full of brothels and such. True story.

Game Over

4-2

game over, 4-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Not a bad game, thanks for the heads up on this redout

Not a bad game, thanks for the heads up on this redout

No problem brother.

game over, 4-2

Good match all the same, a nice debut for Cruyff.

Their case to Fifa should be stronger now they have a full-time coach / set-up

• Advertisement

It's still not a strong case!

It's still not a strong case!

Add to that the fact Cruyff has barely passable Spanish and practically no Catalan.

Disgrace for a man who has lived there about 30 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It was Meath.
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/offthefield/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=17468

Add to that the fact Cruyff has barely passable Spanish and practically no Catalan.

I always thought his Spanish was very good. When I lived over there I understood him better than anyone else (well alongside Michael Robinson) .:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Was Kells in Meath where he stayed and learned English and he has been photographed in Meath tops when he was at Liverpool, and made a joke after the Henry handball about wearing his Meath top under his Real top when he next plays against Henry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Oops should have read the whole thread before making a reply.

I now see that Ush said about Meath already.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Ha!, I heard that too on Morning Ireland one morning in the Summer, when Madrid where here training and playing Rovers.

Don't think it went down too well with the Rovers faithful :D

Why not?

He called his son, Jordi! Isn't that enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Pardon me.

He didn't spend a summer in Dublin, it was Meath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Interesting thread. All politics aside though, it really shows how strong Spain are at the moment that one of their regions can beat Argentina!

Perpignan got a mention somewhere in the thread, as did Biarritz. I know that Biarritz have played a couple of their home rugby matches in San Sebastian and I'm almost certain that Perpignan have played once or twice in the Nou Camp or the Olympic stadium in Barcelona.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

No league, no assosication, no independant state.... they dont have a case.

Seaneh wrote: »
    no independant state....
    :confused:
    Scotland, Wales, England and NI are not independant states either, and were even less so at the time their different associations were founded and admitted to FIFA/UEFA.

And, the LoW was only formed in 1991, but they certainly had a national team before that.

And there most certainly IS a Catalan Football Federation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalonia_Football_Federation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

The Catalans really want to have their cake and eat it. There is no way they should get a Fifa recognised national team until they actually achieve independence and have a Catalan league. As it is they want to have it both ways, let's see how all the Barcelona fans like playing Girona and Sant Andreu every week instead of Sevilla and Valencia, then you would see demand for a seleccio drop off pretty quick.

The Basque country and Catalunya were the two regions which pushed for regional selections but of course in true cafe con leche para todos fashion everyone else got in on the act so - for a few years at least, enthusiasm seems to have dropped off recently - you had the ridiculous scenario of Murcian, Asturian etc "national teams". Apart from Galicia I don't think there was any real support for them and no-one really took the project seriously.

Yes, the Valencian region does speak a dialect of Catalan, as well as Spanish. Many locals like to believe it is a separate language.

I can understand the Basque push for a national team, people from Basque Country and Navarre are not ethnically spanish and struggle to see them self as part of spain, they always have and they always will, catalans are like people from cork or norfolk, they just think they are better than the rest of their country men but really, they just speak the same language with a funny accent.

• Advertisement

they just speak the same language with a funny accent.

What a load of bollix, Catalan is a definite separate language to Spanish, and had more in common with French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I can understand the Basque push for a national team, people from Basque Country and Navarre are not ethnically spanish and struggle to see them self as part of spain, they always have and they always will, catalans are like people from cork or norfolk, they just think they are better than the rest of their country men but really, they just speak the same language with a funny accent.

Now I'm not much of an expert on Catalonia, but from what little time I spent there and what little I learned of the region's history I can conclusively say that is a ridiculously ignorant post.

I spent a lot of time in spain in 2008.

week of the final, in barcelona, spanish jerseys everywhere, whole city was proudly spanish.

same week in pamplona, bilbao and san sabastian, not even a spanish jersey to be seen, lots of athleti, sociciad and ossasuna jerseys though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

week of the final, in barcelona, spanish jerseys everywhere, whole city was proudly spanish.

same week in pamplona, bilbao and san sabastian, not even a spanish jersey to be seen, lots of athleti, sociciad and ossasuna jerseys though.

This could also be because a lot of people have migrated from the 'Spanish' parts of Spain to Barcelona to work, but would be less likely to have migrated to Pamplona and San Sebastian as they don't offer the same opportunities.

I know a few people from Barcelona. Those who don't have family members from other parts of Spain view the Spanish national team with either indifference or hatred. One of the lads I know managed to dig out a Sweden jersey when they played Spain in euro 2008 and stormed out of a room full of Italians and Spaniards quicker than anyone else when Spain beat Italy on penalties. He most certainly is not proudly Spanish and the impression i get is that many Catalans, quite possibly a majority, feel the same way as he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Euskera as a language is dying and is mainly only spoken around Bilbao and San Sebastian, the rest of the Basque country don't really want to know, so the want for a separate nation is probably even less, making a regional football team highly unlikely, imo.

Euskera as a language is dying and is mainly only spoken around Bilbao and San Sebastian, the rest of the Basque country don't really want to know, so the want for a separate nation is probably even less, making a regional football team highly unlikely, imo.
    Fair enough, it may be not too strong in Navarre but over a million people still speak it.
    When I was in Gernika that's what most people spoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I was living in Barcelona at the time and didn't see anything like what you mentioned from the Catalans. One of the main sports bars in the city centre, which is owned by a Catalan guy, refused to show the Spanish matches during Euro 2008. Quite a few of my Catalan friends were supporting Germany in the final and none of them celebrated the win. The only place I saw a load of Spanish jerseys was in an Espanyol bar in Barceloneta for the final.

People speaking an awful lot of crap in this thread.

It much stronger in Donostia than Bilbao.

It was very strongly acted against by Franco and it's a testament to the persistence of a few that the language exists at all today.

All the kids learn it in school. They tend to have a much healthier attitude to it than Irish people feel towards Irish. Pride in it etc..

I'd hardly describe it as a dying language.

You can get a degree in it at NUI Maynooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

All I know is Catalonia children don't care about santa and are far more interested in a christmas log that defecates presents, which they "order to poop" and then "beat with sticks". This. Is. Awesome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ti%C3%B3_de_Nadal

Advertisement