Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do many people rent on their own

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

eth0_ wrote: »
    Do you think you could haggle down apartments for rent at 800 per month to 700? I've actually never haggled over rent before, it never occured to me. But I guess landlord's could be getting desperate now.

Definitely. There is still some landlords not willing to haggle but they're idiots. We went to view our apartment and when we said we were looking at similar for cheaper the first thing the agent said was the landlore would accept €75 under asking price.

If you don't haggle you're paying more than you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Graces7 wrote: »
    One aspect many forget in all this is that when you rent, maintenance and replacement of eg washing machines is included in the rent.

That can add up over the years...

Since we moved in here the washing machine AND fridge have had to be replaced.

Also in addition and again surprisignly it hasn't being mentioned so far in the thread seen as the thread is now quite clearly a rent versus buy debate is that when you rent you can up sticks and move without too much hassle generally if need be. If you bought more often than not you will not be afforded the same privelage on a whim. Another reason I'd certainly consider renting a much more favourable option for younger people who might be setting of on their career paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

eth0_ wrote: »
    Do you think you could haggle down apartments for rent at 800 per month to 700? I've actually never haggled over rent before, it never occured to me. But I guess landlord's could be getting desperate now.

Most certainly I'd be thinking. Nothing ventured nothing gained, if you don't ask you don't get etc. I'm sure that if he/ she had any cop on they'd at least meet you half way. Don't buy into this crap "I can't do it for any less than 800" or if they say something like that. Can they afford to have the appartment vacant.

Maybe time to learn to haggle eth0...its the name of the game these days;)

Remember that one of your greatest bargaining tools when haggling as a buyer is that you can walk away at any stage, although I accept its perhaps not necessairly quite this simple in the case of an appartment you are already renting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭PLIIM

Also in addition and again surprisignly it hasn't being mentioned so far in the thread seen as the thread is now quite clearly a rent versus buy debate is that when you rent you can up sticks and move without too much hassle generally if need be. If you bought more often than not you will not be afforded the same privelage on a whim. Another reason I'd certainly consider renting a much more favourable option for younger people who might be setting of on their career paths.

Thats true.
    Wen you are young and single and your career hasnt yet got going mobility is important.
    When you have kids, schools, wife to worry about, stability is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Go for it OP.

Renting your own flat is bliss and I'm happy to pay the extra money so I don't have to share with tv-hoggers or detergent-dodgers. :D

Bills are actually OK. NTL is the same amount everytime and I switched to Bord Gáis to save money. Once you do up a monthly budget and stick to it, you should be able to manage.
    You also get tax relief on things like your rent and service charges, every little helps :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement