Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[C&C] Frozen pond - be harsh

• 22-12-2009 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

This is a panorama of a frozen pond in Menlo village, Co. Galway. I've tried as much as possible to match the scene as it was in reality - just after sunset, foggy and with a snow storm moving in overhead off the lough.

Too dark? Too blue? Click for larger.

2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Bit too blue for my liking, would tone down the blue a bit so theres more of a balance between the blue and white, maybe a tiny bit brighter too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

I quite like it, but it probably is a bit too blue and maybe a bit too dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

i like it, but it's a bit too dark. As in, there isn't anything in the image to break up the darkness on the left side. My eye is tending to be drawn off the page into the dark part. Maybe brightening up that bit would give it a bit more balance.
    I do like the colour though, it's very....cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

i like it, but it's a bit too dark. As in, there isn't anything in the image to break up the darkness on the left side. My eye is tending to be drawn off the page into the dark part. Maybe brightening up that bit would give it a bit more balance.
    I do like the colour though, it's very....cold.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Love those clouds! Maybe a little dark, but great picture.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

There's no swans in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

be harsh = random thread thata way >>

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

They'd be all frozen. :(

More fixes: Foreground was cropped, image was brightened and saturation was dropped.

1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Fenster wrote: »
    [C&C] Frozen pond - be harsh

It's a pile of shyte!

(:D sorry mate couldn't resist)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

The darker side of the photo still overpowers the light, even with the change. Maybe try bringing out more of the brightness on the lighter side to even it out because the contrast looks good, but it could be really striking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Id lighten up the sky on the left hand side, balance it out with the right hand side.

I might also try brightening up the whole picture, I know your going for a dark cold sort of a winter shot but give it a go

http://www.videosift.com/video/Insane-Canadian-Fisherman-eh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Id lighten up the sky on the left hand side, balance it out with the right hand side.

I might also try brightening up the whole picture, I know your going for a dark cold sort of a winter shot but give it a go

http://www.videosift.com/video/Insane-Canadian-Fisherman-eh

whats the point of adding the video clip ?

On topic..... everyone seems to be wanting you to brighten the left side to even it up .... alternatively...darken the right side to even it out.

people just want to see in the detail....I like the pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

do you have your own vision for this photo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I dunno but I quite like it. Two things I think would have improved;

a) lower the position of the camera (get closer to the ground)
    and
    b) try ensure the inclusion of the full ice surround to the lake.

I like the blue and the imbalance in the light is well, interesting methinks.

Perhaps raise the overall brightness across the image to try get a little more detail in the silhouetted trees at the back of the image.

Just my opinion but I quite like it.

Version #3:

3.jpg

Advertisement