Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your own finest moment in a game?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Being a goalkeeper to be sent off at U-14 level in a cup final.

We were 1-0 up in the 75th minute. Their centre forward was through one-on-one, I came charging out, made no effort to play the ball, simply scythed your man down with a pair of cool gloves. Straight red. I was booed and spat at as I walked off (I WAS ONLY 13, FFS!!! I know it was dirty and cynical, but does that give any adult the right to spit at a child?!). Resultant free kick went wide. We held on with ten men (and a centre half in goals) for the last fifteen and lifted the cup. Not a very honest or sporting moment, but one that I'm proud of in a kind of twisted way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i hit the crossbar with a (slightly - ahem - wind assisted) goal kick when i was 15

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

My first game with the junior team as a young lad we were winning quite comfortably so they gave me and the team waster a run out. Anyway, we got a counter attack and I made a run down the wing and got a perfect pass clean through on goal and with my first touch, I fell over the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

A couple that I clearly remember and not all for the right reasons! One game I played against another local team where I knew a good few of their players.We'd already been beaten like 4 or 5-0 by them that season so we werent expecting much out of the game but a load of my other mates came to watch as it was near where they lived.Anyways we got beaten 7-1 and I scored 2 og's :o but one of them was good enough to grace any football game! Everyone went up for a corner leaving me and their striker,corner broke down,counter attack followed with the winger running the ball then trying to pass to the striker.There was only thing I could do-volley it out for a corner.Unfortunately I hit it with the inside of my foot and flew into our top corner from about 30 yards.

Unfortunately an Evening Herald reporter happened to be there and he wrote something along the lines of "What happened next was simply extraordinary.Central Defender(My Name) hit the sweetest of volleys from outside the area...into his own net".I did get a few free drinks in the pub though!

Also being a Centre half,we dont get many oppurtunities to score,in my first 2 seasons I hadnt scored any.Woke up in my mates house,had a couple of joints before playing my game and I scored,not once but twice!! After my first goal I ran up the line high five-ing whoever was on the line then got back intop position and got sick all over the pitch,not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

kicking lumps out of Rooney for 90 minutes straight and thus being the reason he didnt get near our goal during that match. Although that is def a more retrospective finest moment cos we didnt know who the feck Rooney was at the time just that he was the top scorer in the Tournament we were in.

Itso facto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I've been playing football at a high level for a good few years and all I can think about are bads things!

Losing the SFAI Cup final in U13s, season after losing the cup final.

This season I saved a penalty in a sudden death penalty shoot out in the SFAI last 64, only for our player to miss. We went on to lose that too :(

God, I hate this sport :pac:

I'll come back with a good memory later hopefully :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Playing in a match between two teams from my school year.
    The other lads are winning by a goal, 4-3 or 5-4..
    Im playin centre back and havent had the greatest game in the world..
    We get a corner, as im running forward just making headway into their half to try and get my head on the ball, I see my teamate taking a quick corner, while shouting "dont Fcuking take it quick" i notice the ball coming towards me and from 30 yards I hit a ridiculous volley into the top left corner!
    Rooneys volley against newcastle, while giving out to the referee, was fresh in everyones memory after that!

Needless to say, it wont be happening again!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Osu wrote: »
    Itso facto

a quick google search found this

Wayne%20Rooney22.jpg

thats Wayne with the golden boot award in the front Centre. He played for PYE fc (no not Pie) under 13s. I played for Swords celtic U-13s, and while at the Liverpool-Knowsley Soccer tournament we drew PYE fcs A team and their B team in our group. We beat their B team 2-1 and drew 0-0 with their A team which Included Wayne who we had all heard about cos he could not stop scoring in the tournie. It wasnt till a few years later when he was at Everton i believe that I realised who he was as he was on Sky Sports and mentioned the tournament and being golden boot winner a number of year on the trot in an interview iirc.

from another site
    This tournament is a great week of football played at a very high level and it gives local teams the opportunity to play against players from all over the world.

Personally, I have fond memories of the tournament having won the golden boot on the way to winning the Under-12 Championship when I played for Pye FC in 1998.

I hope that your experiences of the tournament are as memorable as my own.

Good luck to everyone involved

so no I didnt just make that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

Play right full, making a show of the left winger by megging him twice....so satisfying:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Wow. Great thread. I've never played competitive football but I wish I could start. Even at 18 I feel like I've missed out greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

My own was playing in Turners cross in cup final U16. We won 4-0 and I scored two.

I scored about 5 goals in league in 26 games so scoring was not my strong point was normally defender in first place but then played in midfield was great player for pass and skill etc but scoring was never something I did enough.

Anyway back to game the two goals were outside the box and funnily both goals were bit like Darren Gibson brace against Spurs in League cup few weeks back. First was low shot into bottom corner just outside the D. Second I picked up from halfway beat two players and curled a nice goal into centre right corner of net but with nice power and went nuts towards the old Shed end. I taught I was Cantona that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Scoring the third goal of my life in an under-12s munster semi with my left leg from half a yard. I havent had a shot on target in a real match since :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

more regretful memories than finest memories. played for the school team in secondary school,was about 16,17 at the time, reaching the all ireland semi's 2yrs on the trot. didnt sign up the 2nd year and they got ti the final got beat 2-1 daryl murphy now playing at sunderland at the time scored our goal to make it one all but got they scored very late on in the game. who knows i could've played that game and prevented the late goal and maybe could've won.:(

but on another note that daryl murphy fella scored goals for fun.great talent unbelieveable what that guy could do. pity things didnt go as well as one would hope for him as in makin it big time but still not makin a bad living all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Scoring a hatrick against a small, fast and skilled team of barefoot Nepalese lads here in Oz.

We lost 10 - 3 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

My first and only goal ever for my schoolboy team (i played right back) a left footed toe bogger from the about 30 yards out.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

2 moments stand out:
    Under 16s - 0-2 down against our local rivals (bogmen!) and I set up my best mate for a goal and then scored a scissors kick to equalise....the place went bananas, I was mobbed....but I remember saying "get off me, we have to win this game!!" - only for us to concede near the end and lose 2-3 :( All for nothing.

Then onto "big boy soccer" :D Scored a couple and an assist against our other local rivals (knackers) and won 3-2 this time. After this I became an unfit fat bastard :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I played for a school boy team called S. Peters, well knowns for their senior teams but in Athlone there are only really 2 schoolboy teams worth giving a toss about, St. Francis and Willow Park, they fecking steam rolled everyone, except for one year (u16s) when we won the league and got to the SFAI semis. game against st. Josephs, playing left full, cut inside the winger as i knew he was going stright for the byline, headed straight for the penelty spot as im running the winger cuts inside their fullback leaving him on his arse, plays a 1-2 with our striker and rolls the ball straight infront of me, smacked it straight at the far bottom corner under the keepers legs.

Same season against Francis, free kick, just inside the final third, middle of the goal, smacked the ball as hard as I could, ball just dips under the bar, screamer.

The winter 3 seasons before in an indoor 5-a-side league, we won every game by atleast 3 goals, our b team got to the semis and lost on penelties, we beat the other finalists 7-1

We had a short enough team but most the lats were reeally good techincally and we all went to the same school so knew eachother inside out and the gym the tourny was played in was in our school and we played there every day so knew how to use the end walls, knew the high ball limit without even thinking, our keeper wasnt afraid to dive on it etc, we just played really naturally there.

one of the lads from that team is by far and away the best player I have ever played with or against, his name is Benny McGuinness, plays for Willow Park in the CCFL Senior Division, only about 5'3, but jesus his ball control is insane and he has a great football brain, if he was 4 inches taller he'd be playing atleast championship level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

In a five a side, I was backed in a corner beside my goal, I nutmeg the first guy, run a yard or two, do the same to the next guy, running at an angle I use the outside of my foot to slip it through the rushing defenders legs, then one on one with the goalie I throw him a dummy and land him on his backside, then as he's lying on the ground I chip it over his head. To make it sweeter some of the lads were teachers I was in school with. Thats the first one that came ito my head anyway. I got applause from the opposite team so thats why I remember I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

so no I didnt just make that up.

Never said ya did. Infact, I said it was a fact. Itso Facto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

5 goals in one game, man it felt good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Played for my local team all through underage untill u-16 where I switched to another team not so far away from home. In my first match I was benched after not turning up to training.

The team were 3-2 down and the manager decided to put me on as right back, even though I warned him Im a striker. Made a few clearances grand in the first ten minutes of being on but then I picked the ball up just before the half way line and decided feck it Im making a go of this and ran up field beating two players and playing a 1-2 with the lone striker before smashing it in bottom corner from outside the box.

I went on to set up the final two goals and we won 5-3. Needless to say he played me up front from then on :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Playing the Jamie Carragher John Terry role and succeeding.

If you saw me in person you'd understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

In a solar travel cup in liverpool under 14s second round the ball came out to the 18 yard box, I caught it on my chest and volleyed the ball top corner against an English team which we won 1 nil (was play at left back) then in the final we played bohemians in the final and we were winning 1 nil with 5 minutes left and they were throwing every thing at us, but we broke away and I always love overlapping so was speeding down the wing and I cut in and took it around some big stocky bloke and chipped it over the keepers head :), was sent off a minute later though, I gave somebody a copper leg for running into me :o, I know what a silly thing to do :rolleyes: Some great memories :).

Advertisement