Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressivness in the car

Options
  • 22-12-2009 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I have two dogs, terrier mixes that we have had for around a year. THey are both around 2 years old

Lately they have both become very aggressive in the car. THey both are in the boot, obviously with the cover off it. EVery time someone walks by the car or a motorbike goes by, they start growling and barking and bearing their teeth, not in a playful way. Its definitely aggressive.

How do I address this? Im stumped as its really hard when I have to try concentrate on the road too :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Someone might have better advice - but if you were to drive them somewhere, say a parking lot or somewhere where people would be going by etc. Park the car / maybe leave the engine running (so they are thinking you're going to move maybe) and try training / disciplining them then (when you're not driving and thus it's not dangerous).
    So when people go by and they growl etc, you're able to correct them safely. And see over time if you can get it to work?
    (maybe someone will have a good method to try, but I would assume correcting them when they're *in* the car doing it would be best).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I advise you to get a car crate and if need be cover it with a sheet at first, so they can't see out. It's a sefer way of travelling for them and will give you more peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mirror Image

On the subject of cars:

My Dog strongly dislikes cars. It is very difficult to get him in to the car for vet visits, trips to the park etc. He will not jump in of his own accord and generally treats and toys do not work. Once in he suffers from travel sickness.

I have taken him on short trips around the block to get him used to the sensation of the car, but he drools bucket loads. He just gets so nervous. I have even sat in the boot, while the car is switched off, and encouraged him to hop in but he stands looking in at me.

I would love him to jump in immediatly when I call him without any hesitation and look forward to the journey. Any advice on how to help him overcome this fear is greatly appreciated.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Feed him in the car with all the doors open and the engine off. Encourage him to run through the car, in one side, out the other. Do ignore his reluctance and keep at it, a little bit at a time. It will take time, it's not a quick fix scenario.

Advertisement