Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend some PC games

Options
  • 22-12-2009 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a new game, preferably a sci fi rpg or real time strategy which would be fun rather than painstaking and rule laden if you catch my drift.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well my number one game of all time is Company Of Heroes. Even tho' its over three years old at this stage, I can jump back in at any stage and have a game. Its a WWII RTS, but well worth a look.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sci-fi RTS? Supreme Commander or Dawn of War 2. Sci-fi RPG? Mass Effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭extrinzic

UFO: Enemy Unknown. You can buy this through steam. I know it's old, and the graphics are low res, but make no mistake, this game is pure genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

War Front: Turning Point was fun IMO

Left 4 Dead

The new Command & Conquer will be out in a couple of months.

Another vote here for Company of Heroes though, great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Sci-fi RTS: cant do better than Homeworld

Sci-Fi RPG: Deus Ex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Auvers wrote: »

Both oldies, but both excellent games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Auvers wrote: »

solid choices,
    starcraft and system shock 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Sins of a solar empire
    Mass effect (or vampire the masquerade bloodlines if you don't mind vampire based rpgs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Solitaire

Minesweeper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Thanks for the recommendations
    bizmark wrote: »
    Sins of a solar empire
    Mass effect (or vampire the masquerade bloodlines if you don't mind vampire based rpgs)

I was considering SoaSe but is it like Galactic Civilizations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

sorta its primarily a space based rts with gal civ type game play elements you take planet's and each planet has a certain amount of logistic points/resource's for you to improve it (industrial / fleet production / money / research and such buildings are unlocked with research) there's a number of different planet types with different use's volcano planets = metal and low population so less money but lots of metal ,Desert = large enough population and lots of space for building improvements, Earth type planets are all rounder's with the largest population so most money etc etc most of your time will be taken up trying to take planets to shore up your resource short falls....its a super long ass game though its not uncommon for each game to take 5 hours :|

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

AI : Fleet Command
    Xcom Apocalypse (this can be played in real time rather than the turnbased first two of the series)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Fallout 3 and the add ons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭extrinzic

Nevore wrote: »

Xcom Apocalypse (this can be played in real time rather than the turnbased first two of the series)

The ufo series was part real-time, part turn-based. I think people forget the geoscape mode was real-time (with fast-forward).
    Edit: Anyway, turn based soldier/alien combat rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

I'll also say Mass effect and Dawn of War 2, Mass effect 2 in january and Dawn of War 2 expansion in january also. :)

It really amazes me how few people only read the subject of a post and proceed to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

extrinzic wrote: »
    The ufo series was part real-time, part turn-based. I think people forget the geoscape mode was real-time (with fast-forward).
    Edit: Anyway, turn based soldier/alien combat rules.
    True, true.
    I like turn based as well, but plenty of people don't. Especially younger gamers since, well, they've never played anything older than wc3 or Red Alert. ;) Didn't know the OP, so thought it worth mentioning.

Advertisement