Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom Vans Parking In Residential Areas

• 22-12-2009 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi I have a problem with a neighbour who parks a large Eircom Van in front of my house 24/7 its only ever gone for a few hours a day and apart from that its there all the time. This van compleatly blocks my view and is unsightly as well as a nuisance when kids are playing near it and when reversing out of my driveway.All I can see when I look out my front windows is a huge Eircom logo and I dont like it. I tried parking my own car outside my house to stop this van being parked there and would you believe this guy and his wife came in and told me that it was his space and he has been parking there for 15 years and that anyway I was only renting (obviously mad). They even move my bins on bin day so they can park there. Is there a bylaw on parking commercial Vehicles in residential areas. I am not sure which planet these bullies live on. Should I report it to Eircom and would they care?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Markroan wrote: »
    Is there a bylaw on parking commercial Vehicles in residential areas.

No
    Should I report it to Eircom and would they care?

If he has p*ssed you off then call up Eircom and ask why there is a van parked outside your house all day everyday. They might be interested themselves to know why he is not at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I am not sure which planet these bullies live on

I'm not sure what planet you live on tbh.

You sound like a customer of ours who complained because the car we gave her was "too red" to be looking at out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You sound like a customer of ours who complained because the car we gave her was "too red" to be looking at out the window.

:D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

as long as his road tax is paid and there are no double yellow etc lines he can park where he wants. You dont own the road (either does he)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I thought there was something brought in about 10 years ago about parking rigs in residential areas. Think its based on axels or vehicle size though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

As said ring eircom or lse keep parking there yourself when the space is free. As long as there is tax and insurance on your car he can do bugger all. Donesn't matter if you rent or not. In fact I would go as far as buying a piece of crap taxing it and let it rot outside the house just to piss them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Hi I have a problem with a neighbour who parks a large Eircom Van in front of my house 24/7 its only ever gone for a few hours a day and apart from that its there all the time.... They even move my bins on bin day so they can park there.

Should I report it to Eircom and would they care?
    I doubt they'd care that the CIA are watching your house.

As said ring eircom or lse keep parking there yourself when the space is free. As long as there is tax and insurance on your car he can do bugger all. Donesn't matter if you rent or not. In fact I would go as far as buying a piece of crap taxing it and let it rot outside the house just to piss them off.

Good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I tried parking my own car outside my house to stop this van being parked there

Sounds like a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭j1974

Hi I have a problem with a neighbour who parks a large Eircom Van in front of my house 24/7 its only ever gone for a few hours a day and apart from that its there all the time. This van compleatly blocks my view and is unsightly as well as a nuisance when kids are playing near it and when reversing out of my driveway.All I can see when I look out my front windows is a huge Eircom logo and I dont like it. I tried parking my own car outside my house to stop this van being parked there and would you believe this guy and his wife came in and told me that it was his space and he has been parking there for 15 years and that anyway I was only renting (obviously mad). They even move my bins on bin day so they can park there. Is there a bylaw on parking commercial Vehicles in residential areas. I am not sure which planet these bullies live on. Should I report it to Eircom and would they care?

i think the space sounds like a frist come first served thing, but to be honest if he came into your house and asked you to move your car, and you subsequently did, then your mad and very foolish. you called him a bully so I take it you did move when he asked you to, correct?????

then there's no point crying on some thread about how you think you might report him, you had a chance to give him what for and you didn't, you're now a spinless whimp in his eyes unfortunately, so i say either man up or stop being a winger. sorry for sounding cruel but the dilema is very simple. unless there's a parking number on some space which matches his or your house number, it's free space for whomever gets there first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

What he said^ :). Thats gas about the car being 'too red' Drummerboy :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Tell him you can park where you like within the parking regulations of the area.
    Tell him if he has an issue with it he can take it up with the Gardai.

If there is no allocation of spaces then he has no right to any particular space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

I could be way off the mark here, but do you live in Dublin 16 by anychance OP? If it is where I'm thinking of, please keep parking there! First come first served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭badlyparkedmerc

Ignore Mr. Eircom. Even more so since he needed his wife with him as backup, You can be 100% certain it's the wife who wants it out of her sight in the first place.

There's two of these vans around my area - adding a certain air of halting site to the environs (not that there's anything wrong with that) - but not bothering anyone. For ages I thought the vans were semi-abandoned as they seemed a bit derelict and permanently parked in the same spot, until I realized the owners just have "attractive" work hours.

The way some Eircom workers use the older company vans seems a little borderline taxwise as I vaguely remember from a previous job that there's some rules on whether the van is in fact a BIK if he's just using it to get him back and forth to work, you tend to see newer vans on callouts and the older ones parked around estates - which is a little suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

He hadn't the balls to come in on his own, he brought his wife with him! Did she do all the talking? Just keep annoying them and park there whenever you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If vans are blocking your view when exiting your driveway, they are a traffic obstruction. You can complain to the gardai etc.

If a tenant in rented accomodation is nuisance parking it's technically anti-social behaviour, the landlord is responsible, and there is recourse through the local authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

As others have said, if the space is free, park there. If he comes around, just tell that as this is his second time calling to make thinly veiled threats that you're noting the time and date and that next time you will make a complaint to both the Gardai and the owner of his vehicle (Eircom). He doesn't own the road but neither do you.
    The same thing used to happen outside a house my wife used to live in before we got married, an Eircom van again. He'd park outside her rented house, despite there being no car parked outside his own. If I got there before him, I parked there, simple as but he was so derranged as to come out and move the van if I left even though he never moved it outside business hours other than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

alias no.9 wrote: »
    He'd park outside her rented house, despite there being no car parked outside his own.

He probably thought nobody would suss he was bunking off work if it was parked outside someone else's house!

He probably thought nobody would suss he was bunking off work if it was parked outside someone else's house!

Nah, in fairness to him, you could nearly set your watch by the time he left for work in the morning and got home in the evening, he just had a wierd attachment to that space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Most Eircom staff now bring their vans home and some work from home,so forget about calling the Company, you will waste your time. I would find this quite annyoying if it was parked in front of my house.His attitude is also an issue.:rolleyes: I would take every opportunity to park there myself and encourage my friends to do likewise, especially when they are going on hols:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Landyaddict

Oh this is getting good. Very good.

I had a similiar problem with one of my land rovers ( the reverse, its parked outside my house and not blocking anyone)
    ?Anyhoo, the res comittee sent in a lone member to ask me to move the land rover as it was " an eye sore". He called in at 10pm in the evening.

Well now, he came to the wrong man, I told him I would not be moving my vehicle unless I was driving it somewere and I told him to **** off and who ever had the problem could come talk to me directly and not via the res comittee. I told him( as already stated here) The vehicle is Tax and insured, so whats the problem.

Never heard another word from them on the matter. I now have TWO Land rovers parked at my house.

If this guy and his big Eircom van is parking out side your house and not his own, block him from doing so. I can arrange a visit with my LArge Land rover for a few days over christmas!!!!

Anyway, ring eircom complaints and see what happens.
    Funny how the van is there nearly all the time.

things like........... (opps got me a warning)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Dear Eircom,

One of your vans is legally parked outside my house.

Please move it so it's outside someone elses house.

Thanks,
    Op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it would be tempting to buy a cheapy with a little tax left and leave it there for a week or two....parking wars are a big problem always arent they and the only real solution is to move...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Landyaddict

Don't they have a "hows my driving" sticker on the back of most Eircom trucks and an ID number to identify the van?

If so, then ring it and complain.

class comment. id do the same actually, buy a clapped out banger and let them see you pushing it into place, lock the door and throw the key over your shoulder into the shrubbery, or river if there's one close by.:cool:

Oh this is getting good. Very good.

I had a similiar problem with one of my land rovers ( the reverse, its parked outside my house and not blocking anyone)
    ?Anyhoo, the res comittee sent in a lone member to ask me to move the land rover as it was " an eye sore". He called in at 10pm in the evening.

Well now, he came to the wrong man, I told him I would not be moving my vehicle unless I was driving it somewere and I told him to **** off and who ever had the problem could come talk to me directly and not via the res comittee. I told him( as already stated here) The vehicle is Tax and insured, so whats the problem.

Never heard another word from them on the matter. I now have TWO Land rovers parked at my house.

If this guy and his big Eircom van is parking out side your house and not his own, block him from doing so. I can arrange a visit with my LArge Land rover for a few days over christmas!!!!

Anyway, ring eircom complaints and see what happens.
    Funny how the van is there nearly all the time.

things like nails and wood come to mind ;)

to the OP, see how this person quoted above, took no crap!!! they were short, sharp, assertive and knew exactly where they stood on this issue. Your neighbour is a chancer and that's why his wife came in tow!!!

If you took this stance in the first place I'm sure he'd move everytime he saw you coming from now on, he was testing the water by callin into you.
    you could learn alot from out land rover ( but not ECO friendly) driving chum above her. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

You've cited ruining the view etc. as though it'll somehow justify your whinge, but will you just come to your senses here for a minute? You live in a flipping housing estate - What view? The view of the other side of the road? Of the overgrown grass with the bin bag hovering around in the centre of the estate? You haven't bought the house, and while you've every right to a peaceful life, it's not like you're stuck there, are you? You're renting, and bitching and moaning. Those are the facts as I see it.

The man uses the van for work. He parks it outside your (rented) house and whether you like it or not, either one of you is entitled to park there... If he happens to get there earlier, he can park there. If he has a van and a car, and there are two spaces along the footpath outside your adjoining houses, he can park there. If you happen to be out 'til late, tough luck. That's how it is. So no matter what else people suggest, that isn't going to change for you.

If you want to be guaranteed a parking space, or that a van won't take pride of place outside your sitting room window, rent another house with a driveway/allocated parking or one that's out in the sticks. Living in an urban development, you just have to put up with it or move. Simple as that.

Honestly lad, what's next? Complaining about the kids hanging around the lamp-post outside your house? Kicking off over them running amok on their bicycles in the green-spaces? You sound like a curtain twitcher.

What you're complaining about would pi$$ me off too, but I wouldn't have a chip on my shoulder about it. Nobody's breaking the law here. That man, your landlords neighbour, has probably lived there for a lot longer than you do. He's also probably been parking in that space for years. Yet you seem to think you've some right to it over him....neither of you do, he just has his working hours on his side....

This isn't a motors issue - It's all down to being neighbourly, and your apparent inability to be a good one.

j1974 wrote: »
    you could learn alot from out land rover ( but not ECO friendly) driving chum above her. :D

In fairness now, Landyadict said the the problem was that he had a Landrover parked outside his house. It's just as ecologically sound as a Prius when it's parked.

to the OP, see how this person quoted above, took no crap!!! they were short, sharp, assertive and knew exactly where they stood on this issue. Your neighbour is a chancer and that's why his wife came in tow!!!

If you took this stance in the first place I'm sure he'd move everytime he saw you coming from now on, he was testing the water by callin into you.

Fairly skewed take on things there lads. Robbie has every right to park outside his neighbours house if he wants to, let alone his own house, just like the Eircom man's entitled to park outside the OP's house. Robbie would have told the residents committee curtain twitcher to take a run and jump if he'd had two 'rovers end to end outside his house too, I've no doubt.

I reckon the Eircom man would have more right to take encouragement from Robbie than the OP has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I tried parking my own car outside my house to stop this van being parked there and would you believe this guy and his wife came in and told me that it was his space and he has been parking there for 15 years and that anyway I was only renting (obviously mad).

If he's legally allowed to park there, then so are you.
    Park there if you want.

A residents association in an estate near me previously had approached the council to get commercial vehicles banned from the estate but that was the exception. Not sure if that has been revoked since.

I've a group of the charity bag robbing collecting immigrants across the road from me with 4 loud diesel engined vans coming and going all hours of the morning ( 12am, 4am etc ). Using the road like a van depot.
    But it's still legal.

Next time your man comes around you could always threaten to ring up the revenue office and ask them if your man is being taxed for benefit-in-kind. I think there's a tax on having the benefit of a company vehicle ?
    But that's about it.

Revenue link

we live in apartments and 2 years ago we had some girls park in out spot at least 3 times in a row, despite the fact that ot was clearly numbered ( the neck of them ). anyway I was not living with my girlfriend ant the time and one night she came home upset after not being able to park in her spot, one of the girls had blatantely parked and left a note on her car reading " hi there, if you need your spot, ring 087...... and I'll come vacate it for you.

my girlfriend is very soft but unfortunately for the notes writer, I'm not.
    I took the note, wend down stairs, banged the door down until two girls answered, I pointed to the car asked who it belonged to. One girl burst out laffing and apologised whilst assuring me it would be moved in ten minutes. I told her that my girlfriend had been way too nice to them in the first and second instance. "she asked you twice to move nicely, yet you're still parking there!!, at which point the smiles began to turn down, Now I'm f.cking telling you and who ever else lives there, park there again and you wont be able to move your car.

one smart arse threatened to call the police so I encouraged her to do so and adived her that i would be sittin in my car now blocking there's.

They bottled it, and moved the car all whilst apologising that it wouldnt happen again. sometimes you have to be abit nasty to get your point accross. and before you say anything, there was guys there at the time, so they were welcome to come out and have a lash, which they didnt. they probably saw my point.......

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭McCalvin

one smart arse threatened to call the police so I encouraged her to do so and adived her that i would be sittin in my car now blocking there's.

They bottled it, and moved the car all whilst apologising that it wouldnt happen again. sometimes you have to be abit nasty to get your point accross. and before you say anything, there was guys there at the time, so they were welcome to come out and have a lash, which they didnt. they probably saw my point.......

You're a hero!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭USER X

Dont want to hijack the thread here but im interested in the whole being parked on a road with no tax thing. A friend of mine lives in a housing estate and theres a load of cars parked on the road but his neighbour has a big white high roof Iveco van. The thing is rusting to pieces with weeds growing out of it and hasnt moved in a few years. Theres no tax or insurance or anything on it.... Any way to get rid of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

USER X wrote: »
    Dont want to hijack the thread here but im interested in the whole being parked on a road with no tax thing. A friend of mine lives in a housing estate and theres a load of cars parked on the road but his neighbour has a big white high roof Iveco van. The thing is rusting to pieces with weeds growing out of it and hasnt moved in a few years. Theres no tax or insurance or anything on it.... Any way to get rid of it?

Call the Gardai and complain about the untaxed vehicle. When they tell you to call the council, do that. They'll tell you that there's nothing they can do if there are reg plates on the vehicle.

You know what you need to do. ;)

McCalvin wrote: »
    You're a hero!

oh contrare my attempting to be sarcastic wannabe friend, I'm YOUR hero.
    send me a post when the girls in your ballet troupe hide your tu tu again, i'll be happy to get it back for you, that way mammy can go to bingo and daddy wont have to come pic you up, for the 3rd week.

• Advertisement

oh contrare my attempting to be sarcastic wannabe friend, I'm YOUR hero.
    send me a post when the girls in your ballet troupe hide your tu tu again, i'll be happy to get it back for you, that way mammy can go to bingo and daddy wont have to come pic you up, for the 3rd week.

nuff respect. bit harsh though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Why is the van driver not parking outside his own house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Cause he's a bollox :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

faceman wrote: »

Spoils the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

I've had this problem in my estate, I drive a van, which is parked outside my neighbours window and door (my apartments alocated spot) every night and weekend. She complained to our landlord, to which i explained that van is how i earn my living, it is my car. i offered to swap allocated spaces but she refused, saying she liked her space but wanted me gone, end solution, nothing happened, hope she likes blue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I now have TWO Land rovers parked at my house.

TWO Land Rovers!!! TWO!!! That's unforgivable. Now if they were Landcruisers that'd be ok, but ******* Land Rovers!!!

Jerseyful Mazes, your poor neighbours ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    You've cited ruining the view etc. as though it'll somehow justify your whinge, but will you just come to your senses here for a minute? You live in a flipping housing estate - What view? The view of the other side of the road? Of the overgrown grass with the bin bag hovering around in the centre of the estate? You haven't bought the house, and while you've every right to a peaceful life, it's not like you're stuck there, are you? You're renting, and bitching and moaning. Those are the facts as I see it.

The man uses the van for work. He parks it outside your (rented) house and whether you like it or not, either one of you is entitled to park there... If he happens to get there earlier, he can park there. If he has a van and a car, and there are two spaces along the footpath outside your adjoining houses, he can park there. If you happen to be out 'til late, tough luck. That's how it is. So no matter what else people suggest, that isn't going to change for you.

If you want to be guaranteed a parking space, or that a van won't take pride of place outside your sitting room window, rent another house with a driveway/allocated parking or one that's out in the sticks. Living in an urban development, you just have to put up with it or move. Simple as that.

Honestly lad, what's next? Complaining about the kids hanging around the lamp-post outside your house? Kicking off over them running amok on their bicycles in the green-spaces? You sound like a curtain twitcher.

What you're complaining about would pi$$ me off too, but I wouldn't have a chip on my shoulder about it. Nobody's breaking the law here. That man, your landlords neighbour, has probably lived there for a lot longer than you do. He's also probably been parking in that space for years. Yet you seem to think you've some right to it over him....neither of you do, he just has his working hours on his side....

This isn't a motors issue - It's all down to being neighbourly, and your apparent inability to be a good one.

What a complete load of sh1te.

Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Could you not at least expand on why you think so?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

O/p you should be reversing IN to your driveway not out. I have no sympathy for people who reverse out of driveways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

faceman wrote: »

...for the same reason said Eircom man didn't do the talking at the OP's door.......She's the reason - She doesn't want it outsider HER window....'cos it's ugly.

QED methinks for OP's reasons for not wanting it outside his window........

Btw, in the estate in Galway we have a house in, which is managed by a mgt company, it specifically bars commercial vehicles, so ..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Jo King wrote: »
    O/p you should be reversing IN to your driveway not out. I have no sympathy for people who reverse out of driveways.

...indeed, have a look HERE ........... technically........you could get points on your licence for "Contravention of requirements regarding reversing of vehicles"....one grounds for which could be........poor visibility........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

I think there is a rule that applies to some eircom "workers:rolleyes:" which state they are entitled not to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

If you've got a problem.............. maybe you could hire......

The A-Team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭kenbrady

I'm not.
    I took the note, wend down stairs, banged the door down until two girls answered, I pointed to the car asked who it belonged to. One girl burst out laffing and apologised whilst assuring me it would be moved in ten minutes. I told her that my girlfriend had been way too nice to them in the first and second instance. "she asked you twice to move nicely, yet you're still parking there!!, at which point the smiles began to turn down, Now I'm f.cking telling you and who ever else lives there, park there again and you wont be able to move your car.

I can't believe you posted that, it's pathetic threatening girls over a parking space. Especially when they left a number and were more than willing to move the car.
    How sad must your life be if you get so worked up over something so trivial and need to win petty little victories. Did you feel tough after bullying girls.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement