Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai

• 22-12-2009 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭

Anyone got positive feedback about the gardai cos most of the stuff I hear and read about is very negative?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I like their hi-vis jackets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Whats up with the sig then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

One let me off with speeding once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

They say vehicle like ve-hi-cle. I like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Trí wrote: »
    They say vehicle like ve-hi-cle. I like that.

Always the jokers, that's what I like about them:(

• Advertisement

funnyname wrote: »
    Anyone got positive feedback about the gardai cos most of the stuff I hear and read about is very negative?

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Yep, plenty.
    Hundreds other do but you're never going to hear about it because people only want to hear the bad stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

:eek:
    A positive orientated thread about the gardai in AH...

The world's gone wobbly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They are the thin blue line that prevents civilized society from having fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

One positive thing is their far higher profile in recent weeks. I have seen so many beat, mountain biked and squad cars about Dundalk in the last 4 or 5 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

there's a hot female garda that works in Anglesea st. in Cork, is that positive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I got let off having to take a breath test at a check point once, was nice.

markok84 wrote: »
    there's a hot female garda that works in Anglesea st. in Cork, is that positive?

There's one in Dun Laoghaire too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

They seem smarter nowadays, i heard on Adrian Kennedy Phone Show one dude from finglas challenged the finglas gards to a boxing match for charity.

The Finglas Chief withdrew the idea... Clever Man lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Most of them are great craic imo. Its only when you act the dick that they come down on you.

I’m 30 yrs on this planet and I’ve only had a run in with one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

maybe they know each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

One positive thing is their far higher profile in recent weeks. I have seen so many beat, mountain biked and squad cars about Dundalk in the last 4 or 5 weeks.

Well its Dundalk!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lee_

Me too, very nice of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

They were probably more concerned about the 2 dead hookers in the back seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Great bunch of lads all together.

At the age of 15, they did not bother to stop me driving a tractor with no roll bar, tax or insurance.

In Dublin they dropped me home a couple of times (Being a bogger whose ma is from Kerry use to be fierce helpful when I lived in Dublin)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

There's a fair few hotties around that area.
    I dropped into the station by bakers for a licence replacement form a few weeks ago and the girl behind the desk was absolutely smoking hot.

I completely forgot about what I was there to do and just started chatting her up.
    After a 10 min chat I headed off and got home before I remembered why I went down in the first place and had to go back :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I like the boots the motorcycle gardai wear.

NothingMan wrote: »
    They were probably more concerned about the 2 dead hookers in the back seat.

I'm no idiot, they were in the boot, snugly out of sight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

funnyname wrote: »
    Anyone got positive feedback about the gardai

nope. If they had their way the people who help us have fun at the weekend would all be in jail :mad:.

:cool:

Also, ibtl :confused:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Yeah most of them aregrand,but there are the few arse wipes!

Hhe I can remember on St.Paddys day the eyar before last my friends hat was stollen by knackers runing past us and we said it to guard like tow sec later and he said "Piss off!".

Another time thouhg last year again my friend was one of the people working security for the No name clu festival in our town.We were all going to head back up too his house after and my fried who knew the guard asked him to give us a lift in the paddy wagon :D.All of us piled into the back,twoin the cage and one in the front he goes"Here lads have fun with this" and hads us the microphone for the speakers ontop,twas priceless" Hey..Hey you two..no conidling,you..walk faster...no faster!...No too fast!...Hey Marc...HI!".

Its things like that which promote better relationships with younger people with the guards :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Yep, plenty. I've had friendly ones stop for a chat with me on nice days, and they've been lovely (and some were hot), when I was younger they'd stop us whenever I was causing trouble with friends, and rightly so. When young'uns act the cnut, they should be told to stop, I've never found them to be unfair, if I wasn't causing any harm they'd just continue being friendly at us.
    I think most people who think "they're all cnuts" deserve whatever treatment they get from the gards, most of the time.
    They also got my phone back for me when it was robbed when I was about 15.

I'm not saying there aren't some bad eggs, but people seem to pick them out for their generalisations. I generalise by the good ones I've seen, which have been a huge majority for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

50-50 for me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Many moons ago Santa brought me the greatest presents ever. A car like the one below and a slide similar to, but not so aerodynamic and swish as the one below. Some dirty, filthy, rotten, ******* scumbags from up the park swiped them on Christmas day, after I'd been out in the front garden and had come in to put a coat on.

The Gardai mustered every Garda in the area and swept the entire park, getting them back in less than three hours. They were the toppermost people in my mind that day. (After Santa who brought the car and slide, and my Mammy who paid Santa for the car and slide.)

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/0/2/9/6/2/2/webimg/315807171_tp.jpg
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4156SwteZmL._SL500_.jpg

I have the utmost respect for the guys, but only when their chasing filthy teenagers away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I like the boots the motorcycle gardai wear.

+1

And they're the only men who can wear leather trousers and look hawt. There's few things more disappointing than spotting a motorcycle gardai only to realise he's wearing normal trousers. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

They are always very well dressed (most of the positives seem to be about what they wear)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

On the downside there seems to be more of them but on the upside they seem to be getting smaller and consequently less authorative as they try in vain to loom intimidatingly in your car window.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

On the downside there seems to be more of them

I think that's an upside. I prefer to see more cops on the street, keeps the scummers in check somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

Whilst my mate was getting his head kicked in last week, a female copper replied when asked "what did he do wrong" she said "we dont get paid enough" True story !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I think that's an upside. I prefer to see more cops on the street, keeps the scummers in check somewhat.

Yeah, but as someone said they're shrinking. You have to tape a few of em together to make one proper Garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

emm one time a guy in the off licence across the road got stabbed with a big knife they chased the guy to my road where he jumped over my back wall and disappeared then the gard's banged on my door said quick someones gone out your back i went ok then and not 1 garda charged through my house but about 25 of them. Then 4 garda van's lined up down my street.

My poor disabled mother nearly took a heart attack in the bedroom when she heard all the commotion going on and they never even got the bloke.

But at least one lad came back and apologized for the commotion was fairly nice about the whole thing and it was good to see them doing something other than hassle teenagers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've had some very positive experiences with the Gardai, and one or two not so nice experiences. Overall, I think they are professional and try their best with limited resources and backwards laws that protect criminals.

Gardai are just people, and as such, there are good and bad ones out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

They made being breathalised fun. Gave me the test and my OH who clearly had a few on her :) I was a zero (don't drink) and her one nearly caused the machine to blow up. Very friendly, very polite.

Got stopped once as I was 'lurking' outside someone's house. Having a smoke on the phone as it happened. Said hello, was polite. They were very nice. Just happend to see the same 2 lads driving past the next day and got a big flash of the lights!

The local garda in an area I used to work was dead sound, always had a minute to chat, and saved my ass from a total scummer one night! He just came outta nowhere and had the guy up agains the wall! It was awesome!

When I was little they let me use the siren!!! :)

There's 4 good encounters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

I think but for the farce of the gatso vans catching people doing a little over the speed limit on big wide main roads most people would have a LOT more time for the Gardai...before this I think most people had a lot of respect for them and I guess we still do...BUT some of the stuff that goes on in the name of road/traffic enforcement spoils it for 80% or more of us I think...I guess most people only really get to appreciate them when things turn nasty...("a friend in need...").Then again the whole thing of them turning up hours or even days after 'emergency' calls that you hear about doesnt help their PR either .But I guess thats more the politicians fault for their under resourcing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

Were you over the limit? Hardly a positive point about the Gardai if so ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I remember years ago a small group of us were walking along in town after a couple of drinks (literally 2 drinks) and the Gardai pulled up in a car and proceded to hastle this homeless chap who was sitting holding a cup.
    Friend of mine says to leave it out on the homeless guy, that he was only trying to get a few quid (It was Nov/Dec so I could see why he would need it)
    The Gardai (a ban garda mainly) proceeded to arrest my friend Rodney King style, grabbing him by the arm and shoving him onto the ground face first.
    He had done nothing wrong only voiced his concerns about the treatment of a homeless man.
    Safe to say that my viewpoint on the Gardai was changed that night.

I can't think of any positive stories...

Edit: Thought of something, my dad worked for a company that had a lot of money on hand and they suffered numerous robberies over the years and he has said on a few occasions how he always thought that they did a good and thorough job with regards to how they handled it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Wazdakka wrote: »
    There's a fair few hotties around that area.
    I dropped into the station by bakers for a licence replacement form a few weeks ago and the girl behind the desk was absolutely smoking hot.

I completely forgot about what I was there to do and just started chatting her up.
    After a 10 min chat I headed off and got home before I remembered why I went down in the first place and had to go back :o

There's a cracker in Store street too. I remember when my car was broken into we had a great auld natter till her male colleague turned up, she practically had to be dragged away from me...

Or I'm just single and deluded. Whatever.

Nah genuinely my aspirations to join the Guards aside, any dealings I've had with them have always been efficient and pleasant. We had a drunk trying to bash our door in one morning about 2 years ago and when we called them they had 2 squad cars on the road in about 3 minutes. Same with the car, your wan walked all the way from the station just to tell me there was feck all they could do, at least she was honest (and tbh, I wasn;t so worried about my car while she was chatting to me :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

one left me sleep inside the staion one night i was locked and missed my drive home, top bloke, until they changed shift then the biggest prick ever ****ed me out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

SV wrote: »
    Yep, plenty.
    Hundreds other do but you're never going to hear about it because people only want to hear the bad stuff.

thats it really.

Cops dont bother me at all. Some of them are tools but sure ya have good
    and bad in every job.

!_Brian_! wrote: »
    Were you over the limit? Hardly a positive point about the Gardai if so ...

No I wasn't.

Doesn't sound as good though if I say that :D

Was dropping people home from the house and was stopped and tested and then on the way back home 5 mins later was stopped again. When asked had I done it before, I answered "yes by your collegue over there 5 mins ago" and she just said "oh right, off you go so"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Havent had many encounters with them* but of those Ive had some were positive some negative some indifferent.

Of the negative encounters two involved downright pig ignorant power tripping members of the spieces on a the rest involved incompetence (more of the institutuonal kind rather than necessairly the fault of the individuals).

I have no time for people who think the cops can do no wrong or people who think the cops can do no right. Like any profession it has good and bad people working in it.

* I do have a couple of relatives in the cops but I dont get to see them that often and anyway they make a point of never "talking shop" (apart from always going on about how laughably bad those cop shows on TV are).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

Gardai are just people, and as such, there are good and bad ones out there.

It is a very hard thankless job, when I go through a checkpoint (always sober and polite) I make a point of thanking them after for the hard work they do.

Who would want to be out B testing people at 2am on a weekend night, or stuck patrolling neilstown.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I like them for their world renowned sense of fun, always willing to take part in a snowball fight, or impromptu rap session.

I also applaud their ability to appreciate a joke about them. Give a casual snort, make a bacon reference, or enquire about the best place to purchase a doughnut. You'll soon be rolling on the ground clutching your sides.

Jokes aside, no one deserves to be treated like a dick for doing their job, particularly when they are there to help you and keep you safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

I find that most of the younger guards (20-40)age group are ok and approchable which is a good thing for everyone...but alot of the older guards have no manners at all and treat everybody in a negative way,they only seem to have respect for the fools who kiss their ass and buy drink for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

I've never had a negative experience with them at all! Been stopped once or twice, because I had L Plates up and was alone in the car... But it's my bro that waslearning. I've that beautiful pink licence! And its always fun when it's a young Mr Garda stopping ya... who ya don't mind having to chat with :D

Also, my brother was in a really bad car crash and was in ICU unconscious for over a week. The Garda investigating visited every second day to see how he was, once on duty but usually out of his own time which was lovely.

They've a tough oul job, but any I've met have been lovely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Myself and the aul doll were driving from Limerick to Dublin round this time last year. The head gasket blew in the car just outside Roscrea so we rang the local cop station. They were out to us in less than twenty mins and pushed the car to a safe location at the side of the road and then gave us a lift to a hotel in the town. They even arranged for a local mechanic to come and have a look at the car and were just generally sound.
    Roscrea is a massive shithole btw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement