Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmmm, 50euro on Steam for the normal version, and 10 euro extra for a "special" edition with filler promo material. What a rip off, anyone know of better deals for this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just wait and buy it in the shops. It'll be cheaper there. Also, Direct2Drive.co.uk are usually cheaper then Steam. Cant check it in work atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

play.com has it for 35 euro steam is a total rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

for the normal edition:
    €35.49 from play
    €30ish from amazon
    €29.69 from cdwow

game.co.uk has the collectors edition for £39.99, only place I've seen it for the pc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kiith wrote: »
    Just wait and buy it in the shops. It'll be cheaper there. Also, Direct2Drive.co.uk are usually cheaper then Steam. Cant check it in work atm.

Direct2Drive (the EU version) doesn't seem to be stocking it, guess i'll pick it up from cdWow then so (assuming the game is any good of course :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Game have this unnamed armour shown as their pre-order bonus. Anyone know what it is? Not listed on the "ME2 Pre-Order Bonus items for Non-North America customers explained" thread on the bioware forums.

Armour_Illust.jpg

It looks the same as the bonus armour you get with Steam's special edition:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/901242

pixelburp wrote: »
    It looks the same as the bonus armour you get with Steam's special edition:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/901242

The advanced regeneration armor or the inferno armour? I can't see any picture for the advanced regeneration armor on steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

The more I see of this game the better it looks....

Its going to be unreal....I will be playing it through multiple times I'd say to see every available scenario.
    Mantel wrote: »
    Game have this unnamed armour shown as their pre-order bonus.
    Armour_Illust.jpg

That armor is the Collector Armor, I think it is only available with the collectors ed.

EDIT: It increases a character's maximum health, health regeneration, and running speed, as well as the Collector Assault Rifle, which quickly depletes enemy shields

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Pre-ordered the CE in game, I'm excited but ever so slightly worried.
    I don't know why, can't see Bioware doing something hugely wrong with the game, and the fact that I loved the first.. *shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

cant wait for it, proper solid story, things you never see coming and situations that make you challenge how good of a gamer you are.

there were some places in the first game that i looked back on and would not have attempted had i known what i would be up against. love this game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Does anyone know if they have gotten rid of the crappy game leveling up with you?

You know where youd go to an area a certain level and youd find a gun at your level but if you went there at a much lower level the gun would be a crappier gun?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

joe123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they have gotten rid of the crappy game leveling up with you?

You know where youd go to an area a certain level and youd find a gun at your level but if you went there at a much lower level the gun would be a crappier gun?
    Why would they change that? For a game like Oblivion or Fallout, yes this is annoying. But for a more linear game, this makes perfect sense. Otherwise, you'd go to the one area that could give you the super gun, and never need to upgrade your weapons again. I quite liked the levelling in Mass Effect. Kept the game at a nice difficulty level throughout.

By the by, while we're waiting for this to come out & for those - like myself - who enjoyed the first game's soundtrack, the OST has already been released for digital download. It's the same kind of spacey, atmospheric schtick, though a little ... edgier? Punchier, I dunno, but there's a few less of the nice ethereal ambient tracks. Still a good OST though.

(I don't think there's too much in the way of spoilers in the titles by the way, they seem vague enough).
    http://ie.7digital.com/artists/ea-games-soundtrack/mass-effect-2-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I'm only getting round to play the first one through til the end. Played it before, but never finished it. How long should it take to finish, doing a reasonable amount of side quests?

Also is this worth pre-ordering and if so why?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

grizzly wrote: »
    I'm only getting round to play the first one through til the end. Played it before, but never finished it. How long should it take to finish, doing a reasonable amount of side quests?

well if i would be you i would finish 1st one and only only then get second one!

is it worth it? it depends, me persanally got sick of all elves and dorfs rpgs, andthis is the only one great sci-fi rpg. It has long dialogs, and alot of downtime with no combat, but thats what i love about true rpg, not just go get 10 hoos and bring them to daddy. you actually work on story with dialog and diplomacy!

grizzly wrote: »

I've done a few side quests and steam says I've put in 10 hours so far. I haven't gotten to Feros and Noveria. From what I can see in a guide I'm about a quarter or a third of the way through the main questline and I expect to put in another 30 hours or so.

As for pre-ordering, if you want some extra armour go for it otherwise it's just a game with a shiney thing attached to increase day one sales. Only the American's have played the game today so no one know's how good or crappy the bonus armour is. One of them gets a blackhole gun though :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think somewhere in the region of 25-30 hours is going to give you a fairly decent play through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ok i'm determined to give ME1 one last shot (only got about 3 hours into it) before buying the 2nd one.

any tips? I can't even remember the story at this stage. I wonder should i just restart altogether or resume my save and pick it up as a i go along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

quarryman wrote: »
    ok i'm determined to give ME1 one last shot (only got about 3 hours into it) before buying the 2nd one.

any tips? I can't even remember the story at this stage. I wonder should i just restart altogether or resume my save and pick it up as a i go along.

Probably worth knowing that you can always recheck your origin story (in the codex, I believe).

pixelburp wrote: »
    the OST has already been released for digital download....

(I don't think there's too much in the way of spoilers in the titles by the way, they seem vague enough).
    http://ie.7digital.com/artists/ea-games-soundtrack/mass-effect-2-1/

I hope so. I'm just after taking a look and seeing a track titled
    "Humans Are Disappearing"

Fnz wrote: »
    I hope so. I'm just after taking a look and seeing a track titled
    "Humans Are Disappearing"

It's pretty much the starting outline of the story you'd see if you watch anything about ME 2 over the last few weeks or if you've read any preview.

Mantel wrote: »
    It's pretty much the starting outline of the story you'd see if you watch anything about ME 2 over the last few weeks or if you've read any preview.

All stuff I've been avoiding, then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

what a ball of **** ME1 is. I decided to give it another go and sat through the install on the 360.

3 minutes in it locks up. In 4 years of playing the xbox 360 i think that's only happened once before.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

what a ball of **** ME1 is. I decided to give it another go and sat through the install on the 360.

3 minutes in it locks up. In 4 years of playing the xbox 360 i think that's only happened once before.

I never installed it never had any problemo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Never had it lock up on me once, installed or not. Could be an early warning sign that your 360 is on the way out:(
    Has happened to me twice recently actually (Bayonetta and ACII), damn thing had better not kick the bucket now of all times!

Amazon are only just preparing mine for delivery now, so I'll have it by Saturday at the earliest... (live in the UK) It's getting so damn hard to avoid spoilers now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I'm playing ME1 atm installed to HDD, no problems... other than rockets being able to shoot through hills, damn is that annoying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

tman wrote: »
    Has happened to me twice recently actually (Bayonetta and ACII), damn

Funny you mention those two, I had a freeze or two on both of those also.
    New 360 here :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I loved the original Mass Effect. And I've played it through a few times.

But went back to it the last day to try out the biotic's abilities. Something I really overlooked before.

And I'd forgotten how chuggy it was. It's the same impression you get when you're playing a PC game on the minimum specced pc allowed.

Chug chug chug...

Advertisement