Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

quad_red wrote: »
    I loved the original Mass Effect. And I've played it through a few times.

But went back to it the last day to try out the biotic's abilities. Something I really overlooked before.

And I'd forgotten how chuggy it was. It's the same impression you get when you're playing a PC game on the minimum specced pc allowed.

Chug chug chug...

Yeah it just seems to be dog when it comes to performance, total dog. I can't think of many 360 games with crap texture load times, low framerate and screen tearing combined into one ball.

Pity because there's a decent game under there.

For me i think its because i've been spoiled. Before this i was playing Halo 3 and before that Oblivion. Playing ME1 after those is just highlights its lack of polish and poor QA even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

So far ME2 is very polished. Haven't witnessed any texture pop in yet, still early days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

rizzla wrote: »
    So far ME2 is very polished. Haven't witnessed any texture pop in yet, still early days though.

good to hear. Sorry for going off topic above. Let the ME2 love in begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

rizzla wrote: »

Same, about 2 hrs in and haven't had any problems stick out. Having it on the HDD would be helping this I imagine.

Completely in love with this game, just like the first one. The world draws me in and the hours just fly by.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Same, about 2 hrs in and haven't had any problems stick out. Having it on the HDD would be helping this I imagine.

Completely in love with this game, just like the first one. The world draws me in and the hours just fly by.

I purposely didn't install it to the hard drive to test the texture issue out and it's all good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Has it been released :O or did ye get it in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

So my pc can handle this game. Is it a no brainer over the xbox version then?

What say you!

Can't find much comparisons on the web currently though I do have ME1 from the steam sale over xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

After just finishing ME1 on PC in time, its plain to see its a 360 port, texturing is horrible. But from what I have seen of ME2 it looks far crisper, probably as it was co developed for both systems to take advantage of the PC's extra grunt, so go with PC. Cheaper, better scalibility, plus chance of mods similar to Dragon Age (but I dont think Bioware will release a toolkit for it :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Would I be advised to pick up Mass Effect 1 before buying this one?

Valmont wrote: »
    Would I be advised to pick up Mass Effect 1 before buying this one?

It's not neccessary but you would get alot more from the game if you played the first one. If you don't want to play the first and don't mind some spoilers watch this to catch you up.

IGN's Mass Effect in 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

My god some of the teeth are huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You also get a lot of bonuses for importing your character from the previous game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

humanji wrote: »
    You also get a lot of bonuses for importing your character from the previous game.
    I love the way they've done it. I've actually lost count of the amount of people that i have met, that i saved or helped in some way, from the 1st game, and im only 10 hours into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Woden wrote: »
    So my pc can handle this game. Is it a no brainer over the xbox version then?

What say you!

Can't find much comparisons on the web currently though I do have ME1 from the steam sale over xmas.
    Not sure about comparisons, but I got it on PC purely for the character importing. Its done so so well.

Lots of save games here - http://www.annakie.com/me/home.htm

If you need one :) I cba finishing ME again, I'll grab one of the asshole save games to play the evil side.

Kiith wrote: »
    I love the way they've done it. I've actually lost count of the amount of people that i have met, that i saved or helped in some way, from the 1st game, and im only 10 hours into it.
    The sad thing is, I can't remember any of the people I've met, places I've been to or information I've recieved, so I haven't a clue why people know me. :D I'm thinking of trynig to play through ME1 again quickly just so I can get a grip as to what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Has anybody seen any prices around for ME2 on he 360?

Thinking maybe xtravision could be cheapest but tesco also a possibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Would one need to complete ME1 before buying ME2??!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

The best price I have seen is HMV where they have it for €39.99 or you can get it for €10 if you trade in Bayonetta

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Would one need to complete ME1 before buying ME2??!
    No. You may be a little confused over some of the plot, but the basic story just references a few bits and pieces of the original without going into major detail. You can always look up the story on Wikipedia. Or better yet, go out and get the original. It's still a great game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

humanji wrote: »
    The sad thing is, I can't remember any of the people I've met, places I've been to or information I've recieved, so I haven't a clue why people know me. :D I'm thinking of trynig to play through ME1 again quickly just so I can get a grip as to what's going on.

I completed ME1 about 2 weeks before ME2 came out and can barely remember half the people I met over the course of game. For some reason I remember the little people I did job for but not anyone who was involved in the main plot i.e. I remember
    getting the guys wifes remains on the citadel, even though he just sent a message on the ship but didn't remember the scientist girl where you find grunt even though she was major player with Saren
    . I kept having to use the option... Who are you?

That's a great option! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really liking this so far - my memory of part 1 was fuzzy, but the quick recaps at the import screen, codexes etc... are good for a refresh, and I've been recognising quite a few characters as they appear. Only two hours in, but story seems rather epic so far. Combat controls seemed awkward at first, but a nice blend of real-time / turn based once I got used to it - handy being able to use three abilities at once (thank you, advance combat training video!).

Decided to pick up the collector's edition because it looked great. Nice package I must say, but reminded me why I hate Gamestop (Smyths and Xtravision didn't have it :() so much in the process (Would you like 3 euro disc protection? No. Do you know what it is? Yes, please give me my game).

Decided to pick up the collector's edition because it looked great. Nice package I must say, but reminded me why I hate Gamestop (Smyths and Xtravision didn't have it :() so much in the process (Would you like 3 euro disc protection? No. Do you know what it is? Yes, please give me my game).

Use the renegade interupt and punch them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Surprised they didn't ask did you want the €20 strategy guide as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Anyone a good bit into the game yet?

I'm completely stuck. I have recruited all members except 1 it seems. The only missions I have left are all the lame ass "helping" ones about the crew and their problems. I can't see what I should do next. I have no interest in these side missions I just want to do the main story. But I cant use the mass relay into collector space nor can I contact the illusive man. I'm wandering around aimlessly.

I'm guessing these help missions are mandatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Bleh, Game completely blew with my C.E. pre-order, so I walked in Gamestop and picked it up there (they had plenty of copies, unlike Game who only got 11).

Played for 6 hours straight... so tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Elessar wrote: »
    Anyone a good bit into the game yet?

I'm completely stuck. I have recruited all members except 1 it seems. The only missions I have left are all the lame ass "helping" ones about the crew and their problems. I can't see what I should do next. I have no interest in these side missions I just want to do the main story. But I cant use the mass relay into collector space nor can I contact the illusive man. I'm wandering around aimlessly.

I'm guessing these help missions are mandatory?

Nope they're your option!! You really should do the loyalty missions though as it really deepens the game and without them your gonna fail the last mission badly! Also they are better then the actually story missions imo.

Onto your problem:
    I'm presuming the person your missing is on the the far left, Legion. You get him on your mission to get the Reaper IFF. This is the mission that forwards on the story and allows to use the Relay. Can't remember how you get this but i think it was part of the early story mission and you should have it. If its not him have no idea but that def sounds where you are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Onto your problem:
    I'm presuming the person your missing is on the the far left, Legion. You get him on your mission to get the Reaper IFF. This is the mission that forwards on the story and allows to use the Relay. Can't remember how you get this but i think it was part of the early story mission and you should have it. If its not him have no idea but that def sounds where you are at.

That's exactly who I'm missing! I don't know where to start that Reaper IFF mission though....can you remember where or from who you get it? The last main quest mission I did was the colony on Horizon. I have everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Fantastic game! Really enjoying it. Havent finished the first play through but Im already looking forward to repeating the game.

Advertisement