Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things to do in Charleroi when you're bored

• 22-12-2009 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

We're gonna be arriving in Charleroi at 10.45 of a Sunday in January, departing there at 21.00 the same day, any ideas for how we should amuse ourselves?

Been to Brussels a good few times and don't fancy shelling out the €22 for the shuttle bus - are there any attractions in Charleroi and the immediate surroundings?

Do you reckon it would be feasible to do a daytrip to Bruges in that relatively short timespan?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I've been to the Airport many times but not the actual town, it's a pain in the arse how secluded it is but that's Ryanair for you.

I'd suggest going to Ghent if you can, Brugges is lovely but i think it's further away than Ghent which is a lovely city in its own right. I'm not sure of the trains in Charleroi i've only ever got the shuttle bus from the Airport, if you've got the money get a return ticket to Brussels midi then in the train station get a return to Ghent. The bus to Brussels as you already know takes about 45 mins then the train to Ghent takes about 25 mins, train ticket should cost you about 14-15 quid return.

The train station in Ghent is called St. Peters station which is a bit outside the city centre so you just hop on the Number 4 tram there and 10 minutes leter you'll be in the city centre.

If you've got the energy and the money you should give it a go as it's a beautiful city, the only thing is, time might not be on your side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Just got back last night, spent the afternoon in Bruges, well worth the visit. Travelled by train from Charleroi, got the ticket for €13 return by booking a "shopping" ticket online.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Aibreann

gaf1983 wrote: »
    We're gonna be arriving in Charleroi at 10.45 of a Sunday in January, departing there at 21.00 the same day, any ideas for how we should amuse ourselves?

You can visit Charleroi, that a population of 200.000 inhabitants. There are 2 squares in there situated in upper and lower sides of the city. There are lot of nice buildings and statues you can visit in there.
    It's a nice place to take pictures and it's very close by train. You have time to go and come back for your flight.

Advertisement