Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6k card debt. Probable actions and timeframe?

Options
  • 22-12-2009 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I've searched a lot of the threads and have also read the MABS info. There are just a couple of questons I'd like to clear up if possible.

1. Is a card company or bank likely to pursue someone in the courts for a 6k debt.
    2. If they sell to a collection agent is the agent likely to sue in court.
    3. If court action IS taken, how long does it take them to get a court date.
    4. What are the usual tactics of collection agents to collect and what practicle legal protection does a debtor have against harrasment.

I did read in an old thread that a bank won't bother to pursue a debtor for less than 40k, but I find that hard to believe. If someone that knows what he's talking about could enlighten me I'd appreciate it.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm not sure about questions 2,3 or 4, but as regards question 1, yes they may well pursue you through court for it. Several weeks ago a girl came into the branch where I work to settle her credit card debt in full, it had gone legal, she had received solicitors letters from the bank's solicitor and it was in the process of going to court. (I don't know how long it was going to take, or when the date was going to be set). But her father had given her a blank cheque to clear the credit card debt owed, and also the legal fees owed to the bank. The actual amount she had owed on the card was about €4500, and then there was about €700 legal costs on top of it if I remember rightly.

The best thing to do if you want to avoid going to court is keep the lines of communication open between yourself and the bank. Also make repayments, however small, because if it does end up going to court, it will work in your favour if you've been trying to clear the debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Travis09

Thx for the reply toots. I offered a fixed monthly amount from January which wasn't aceppted. I might just pay that amount for a while and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Banks could bring you to court for this amount.As toots said, keep lines of communication open between Bank and you. Once you are seen to be paying some of the debt off (you said you offered a fixed monthly amount from January which wasn't aceppted, I hope you still continued to pay this amount at minimum) banks may be more understanding as they can see the effort being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Did you offer a supporting budget and evidence of earnings to ack up your offer? If so i would be suprised for the CC company to refuse it if these things were supplied.

AS for the other questions it can be taken to court by bank and by a collections company. If collections company dont own the debt which is more likely in this country then they will get their solicitors to act on behalf of the bank. usually can be in court within about 4 month if no contact is made or payments being made.

My advice. contact the bank and advice them of your situation and put forward proposal backed up with budget and evidence of your earnings. make an offer you can afford.

Also rethink your finances as to how you got €6k into debt on a credit card??

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Travis09 wrote: »
    Thx for the reply toots. I offered a fixed monthly amount from January which wasn't aceppted. I might just pay that amount for a while and see what happens.

That's by far the best thing to do. I lost my job @ the start of 09 and had two fairly sizable card debts. Made an arrangement with one which was excepted, the other did not except, but I have kept paying them never the less. They haven't taken me to court a year on, although I have been talking to the bank's solicitors. Once you are making an effort, it goes a long way me thinks.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement