Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smackdown vs Raw 2010 - Unlock Stone Cold & The Rock

Options
  • 22-12-2009 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of buying the latest Smackdown... my mind was definitely made up when I heard that The Rock and Stone Cold were in it....

I seen on gamefaq, that you can enter "TheGreatOne" into a "cheat menu", to unlock the Rock.... but, it also seems that you had to pre-order in Gamestop and get a code to be able to unlock/download Stone Cold.

Whats the story with this? Is there any other way? I'd like the game, but I really don't think I'm arsed buying the game if I can't play as both just because I didn't pre-order and waited a couple of months to buy it. They should be in it, or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Wrestling games are not fighting games so I dunno if this is the best place to find an answer to your question although personally I wouldn't necessarily be out right apposed to them being discussed here.

But anyway I'm not into wrestling at all so I can't help yea, I hear choppers into that stuff though so maybe he knows. Yo chopper!?! Get the fook in here.

<_<

>_>

Chopper?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

As far as I concerned wrestling games are fighting games so there is no problem opening a discussion in the fighting game forum.

In relation to the OP's question, sorry I'm not familar with the game so I can't help.

I don't think theres a problem with them being discussed here, I've a 'the more the merrier' attitude here and would love to see loads more games discussed here even though I'll have nothing to do with them or have no interest.

But I definitely don't see wrestling games as 'fighting games' , they're kinda in their own category. You're not gonna see WWE bla bla at evo etc but since there is no other category closer to them, I've no issues with them being discussed here at all.

He just may not get his answer as fast as if he posted his question in the wrestling forum or something is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I've no idea.

Wrestling games have been awful since the AKI/THQ games on N64.

You've failed me chopper, I was told you were our resident wrestling guru, for shame :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Mechanics wise I can't see how you'd class them as anything else save maybe a sports sim but then they're not actually simulating what's going on so...

Sorry OP, I stopped buying Smackraw games when the jump to the current gen of consoles happened. Lost interest in the product.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd check to see if Stone Cold is available as a paid for DLC addition. Usually those preorder exclusives are just a code to give you the DLC for free. You might be able to get him that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

You need to pre-order code for Austin but you can unlock The Rock normally during gameplay (or use "The Great One" code).

The Internet claims you can use "The Texas Rattlesnake" for the Austin on the PS3 but I wouldn't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Thanks for the replies all!

I really don't want to get sidetracked about whether a wrestling game is a fighting game. Its a fairly pointless argument to be honest and not the point of my OP.

I'd just like to know the answer before I shell out €50 quid on it. Please feel free to move to somewhere (Xbox forum?) as necessary if it helps! Cheers! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I wager a google search would be required - No doubt all this sort of thing get answered all the time over the net - I bet you're not alone, OP. I've not played a Wrestling Game since I borrowed Wrestlemania on the NES to try it out as a kid, used to be good fun back then.

Cheers, although I did a good bit of googling before posting. Thats how I stumbled across the one for The Rock... I was just wondering if this works though.

Yeah, I played those games on the NES as a kid. My interest kinda faded until I played last years game recently. This one seems decent, you can downloaded storylines which others have created, so in theory, it could give you unlimited playability.

If someone could confirm that "The Great One" or "The Texas Rattlesnake" unlocks them.... I'd.. I'd... well I don't know what I do, apart from buy the game!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Too late for me to get in on the arguement, but I'd agree that it's a fighting game. Haven't played them since Smackdown 2 though on the PS1 though...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Cheers, although I did a good bit of googling before posting. Thats how I stumbled across the one for The Rock... I was just wondering if this works though.

Yeah, I played those games on the NES as a kid. My interest kinda faded until I played last years game recently. This one seems decent, you can downloaded storylines which others have created, so in theory, it could give you unlimited playability.

If someone could confirm that "The Great One" or "The Texas Rattlesnake" unlocks them.... I'd.. I'd... well I don't know what I do, apart from buy the game!

Xtravision rental ftw?

Since when does EVO have anything to do with categorizing a game / genre?
    Wrestling games are fighting games, there is nothing else you can honestly brand them as while keeping a straight face - Calling it anything else would be like me calling Mario a shooter because he shoots fireballs.

I'd call wrestling games...wrestling games and view them as a separate category to fighting games. Just like I wouldn't call GTA a driving game, those types of games really are they're own genre. You example of calling mario a shooter cause he shoots fireballs is kinda whats being done when you call a wrestling game a fighting game imo :p

Its not uncommon to view boxing and wrestling games as separate from fighting games.

Note I'm not talking about whether or not they should be discussed here though. As I said I've no problem as it'd be retarded to have a "Sports fighting game" section just for those games.

All those sports games fit together where as a boxing or wrestling games stand out like a sore spot amongst the likes of.... well any typical 3D or 2D fighter.

I dunno why it seems so alien to you when they are so massively different compared to an actual 'fighting game' like tekken or hell even smash bros. You're not gonna see one in the like a top 10 best fighting games list like... hell it would be unfair and would be more logical to have a top 10 wrestling games list instead.

Indeed, there is a lot of games that involve fighting in them so I could just go off and list silly titles and say why don't you consider those fighting games then etc but yeah lets just agree to disagree if yea want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    All those sports games fit together where as a boxing or wrestling games stand out like a sore spot amongst the likes of.... well any typical 3D or 2D fighter.

I dunno why it seems so alien to you when they are so massively different compared to an actual 'fighting game' like tekken or hell even smash bros. You're not gonna see one in the like a top 10 best fighting games list like... hell it would be unfair and would be more logical to have a top 10 wrestling games list instead.

Tons of people say this exact thing about smash bros too though, and they have as little reasoning as you do for saying it about wrestling games. :pac:

Oi!:pac: ,my reasoning is sound! They are totally different games, not even just the style but everything. Theres a reason they are generally referred to as wrestling games and not fighting games. I mean wtf makes them fighting games anyway? Cause they've health bars? The gameplay is totally different. They don't even fit into the fighting game scene.

All the arguments that'd be put forward by someone saying smash bros is a fighting game would not apply to a wrestling game at all.

...And your arguement against them being Fighting Games is just that they are a 'bit different' to typical common Fighting Games.
    No its that they are totally different to fighting games. Like GTA is to test drive unlimited. Just cause you can drive around a city in both games doesn't make them the same genre.
    Just because something doesn't closely resemble a regular common StreetFighter style game doesn't suddenly exclude them from an entire genre.

Indeed, its because it doesn't resemble any fighting game, not just street fighter, and its part of a totally different scene to fighting games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

side scrolling beat em ups aren't fighting games, they're beat em ups

In the grand scheme of things I would tack Double Dragon, Final Fight, IK+, StreetFighter, Golden Axe etc as Fighting Games, yet there is a large number of 'Beat Em Up's' listed and that is what you would call most of them that play out in that style. They are still fighting games

Ah ropey you were making a decent case for yourself till you brought this argument out. :P

I'm sorry but beat em ups are beat em ups. And fighting games are fighting games. Two different genres.

Once again, by your logic, simply cause there's fighting in a game doesn't mean they are a fighting game, that would mean GTA is a racing game just cause you can drive a car.... unless you are in fact arguing that GTA should be discussed in a racing sub forum. Which I'd disagree with. GTA brought forth the sand box genre. Cause it simply didn't fit in racing etc.
    If people are accepting and open to the idea of Wrestling Games being discussed on the Fighting Games forum then why would you argue that they aren't Fighting Games? If thats the case, this thread should be moved to 'Games'.

Because us fighting game fans are a friendly bunch that understand wreslting games are too shit to have their own sub forum and being a game wouldnt really fit into a wrestling forum and thus wouldn't mind people talking about them here, even though they aint really fighting games.

If wrestling games were HUGE, with a massive scene needing a lot of discussion thus flooding the forum with a large amount of WWE chatter then I'd move for the title of the subforum be altered to reflected it as a fighting/wrestling game forum.

& btw if we're gonna be quoting stuff :D
    Fighting games are sometimes grouped with games that feature boxing or wrestling. Serious boxing games belong more to the sports game genre than the action game genre, as they aim for a more realistic model of boxing techniques, whereas moves in fighting games tend to be highly exaggerated models of Asian martial arts techniques. As such, boxing games and wrestling games are often described as distinct genres, without comparison to fighting games
    This genre is distinct from beat 'em ups, another action genre involving combat, where the player character must fight many weaker enemies at the same time.

:p

:D

rofl, rope I don't hate wrestling games. I don't consider them good games I admit, they seemed alright in the 90's but these days it seems you just gotta be mad into wrestling to enjoy 'em.
    I just don't consider them fighting games.

Why....do they have to be accepted as fighting games to be considered 'real' or something? Is it diminishing to the genre of wrestling games not to consider them fighting games? I don't picture wrestling fans being hung up on their games not being considered traditional fighting games, any I've ever spoken too consider them 'wrestling games'.

Your trying to say beatemups are a sub genre of fighting games when they're not, they are there own genre, I dunno how you'd consider smash bros a beatemup...

Once again my reasoning for not considering wrestling games as fighting games is due to the vastly different game play compared to anything else in the genre, just like GTA is not a racing game... :)

Seems like your getting offended by my opinion, I didn't even realise you were a wrestling game fan. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement