Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angry Video Game Nerd & XMas

Options
  • 22-12-2009 4:24pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So, am I the only person who enjoys watching AVGN and his take on the classic old *cough* ****ty games we've all played in the past? I'm not entirely sure just how many people have or haven't really seen his stuff before but wether you have or not, I figure it'd make sense posting one of his XMas vids.

NOTE: May not be suitable for minors due to the foul language.

So, Merry F'ing XMas, gamers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

i love avgn , i have been watching him for 2 years now,

i thought i was on my own i ask people have they ever heard off him and they look at me like i have 10 heads.

here is another guy thats quiet good

http://www.youtube.com/user/petedorr?blend=1&ob=4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Love AVGN. He went from extremely entertaining to extremely entertaining and informative and hasn't lost his touch unlike yahtzee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Iv went off avgn a while ago far to many silly skits and such i didn't enjoy the spoony experiment is better imho

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I want the 17 minutes of my life back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

noodler wrote: »
    I want the 17 minutes of my life back.

This may be the only time we agree on anything, AVGN is bad and he should feel bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

AVGN nerd was funny at the start - very funny - but if Yahtzee is labelled by some as a one trick pony, AVGN is twice that; every episode is just a 15 minute crude rant about a demonstrably crap game from the past; at least Zero Punctuation stays topical & can be an entertaining alternative viewpoint. Plus lets face it folks, the British are far better and inventing (and pronouncing) gloriously profane swears than the Yanks.

It may also be a bit petty, but I can't respect a man whose flat is floor-to-ceiling crammed with every game, console & peripheral imaginable. He just seems like a walking stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm a huge fan of AVGN - I just ordered his 2nd and 3rd DVD off ScrewAttack. I really enjoy his reviews and love hearing him give out about the nuances of old games. If you register at GameTrailers you can download pretty much all of his work (save his Volume 1 stuff) for free, which is awesome. I put them on my HDD for repeat viewings.

It took me a few episodes to get into his style of reviews (the swearing, his voice etc) but after that it was just pure bliss. It's my favourite thing to watch and look forward to every other wednesday for a new show :)

His console reviews are my favourite. That and silver surfer....wow! :pac::pac::pac:

pixelburp wrote: »
    AVGN nerd was funny at the start - very funny - but if Yahtzee is labelled by some as a one trick pony, AVGN is twice that; every episode is just a 15 minute crude rant about a demonstrably crap game from the past; at least Zero Punctuation stays topical & can be an entertaining alternative viewpoint. Plus lets face it folks, the British are far better and inventing (and pronouncing) gloriously profane swears than the Yanks.

It may also be a bit petty, but I can't respect a man whose flat is floor-to-ceiling crammed with every game, console & peripheral imaginable. He just seems like a walking stereotype.

You realise it's a character, right? James Rolfe isn't actually like that? He does movie reviews as well so u can see he's actually normal.

I also like to point out that I haven't seen anyone else do video reviews of games that are this expansive and overall entertaining. I'd much rather see AVGN rip apart some old piece of crap game from the 80s than (the still great) bland, rated-E-for-Everyone video reviews on GameTrailers.

Doing video reviews of games are rare, and to do them this well is I think often unnoticed. As far as famous Brit game reviewers go, I don't think "Guru Larry" has anything on AVGN.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Love AVGN. He went from extremely entertaining to extremely entertaining and informative and hasn't lost his touch unlike yahtzee.

I'm really surprised you like AVGN (in that he's big into entertainment/slap-stick comedy over information) but you hate ScrewAttack and GameTrailers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

jaykhunter wrote: »
    You realise it's a character, right? James Rolfe isn't actually like that? He does movie reviews as well so u can see he's actually normal.

For a given quantity of "normal"; afterall, the man's abode is a veritable museum of video gaming memorabilia :) My problem however is not the persona, it's the material as I mentioned. AVGN is utterly one note.

fair enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'm really surprised you like AVGN (in that he's big into entertainment/slap-stick comedy over information) but you hate ScrewAttack and GameTrailers.

Well I don't like it when he does his overlong skits but his reviews are always great.

The difference between AVGN and the Screwattack guys is that AVGN really does know what he is talking about where as the screwattack guys really don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to games. They get their facts wrong, do top 10's on subjects they obviously have no experience in and probably get their information from wikipedia. Gametrailers wouldn't be my favourite but they are ok. Screwattack on the other hand I've no respect for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

pixelburp wrote: »

You do realise that most of that stuff is actually donated from his fans. I mean if he asks for some rare console to review a game he'll probably receive 10 of them in the post. People are always sending him games to add to his collection.

I personally like him but wouldn't rate him much higher than ZP. ZP could add more life to his clips if he actually had game footage in them. I personally would of stopped watching AVGN a long time ago if it was just him talking about some old game with a cheap flash animation playing. What I really watch AVGN for is to see footage of the old games and relive those levels of frustration I went through also with crap control systems and rubbish graphics.

I don't think he's an especially good comedian, the games themselves pretty much speak for themselves and footage of them alone would be hilarious. This is no more apparent than when he does one of his skits, which are just painful. Most of the time I'm just waiting for them to end so he can get back to reviewing the games.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    You do realise that most of that stuff is actually donated from his fans. I mean if he asks for some rare console to review a game he'll probably receive 10 of them in the post. People are always sending him games to add to his collection.

This I didn't know; I presumed he had amassed that bafflingly large collection through sheer perseverance.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well I don't like it when he does his overlong skits but his reviews are always great.

The difference between AVGN and the Screwattack guys is that AVGN really does know what he is talking about where as the screwattack guys really don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to games. They get their facts wrong, do top 10's on subjects they obviously have no experience in and probably get their information from wikipedia. Gametrailers wouldn't be my favourite but they are ok. Screwattack on the other hand I've no respect for.

Please don't take the next sentence personally - I think you're a nice guy and I agree with you about mostly everything except about SA. When you blast ScrewAttack it really makes me think of "that typical condescending internet voice who contributes nothing" rather than SA.com, who bring so much joy to about half a million people. It's not the case with you, but those sentences remind me of so many faceless internet names that only "live" on the net to denigrate other's work.

I'd also think that I obviously don't know as much about games as you so I'm in no position to talk about when should or shouldn't be in (eg) a Top 10 games of a console. But I don't take gaming seriously at all. Even though most have similar thoughts, it's all subjective anyway. Who really cares? It's all a bit of fun.

I think you take ScrewAttack/gaming too seriously. They're obviously videos just for entertainment and not hard facts. You should know better not to treat them so serious with their Top 10s. Is it that horrible a crime! It's like giving out to Art Attack for not being edgy! Video production values/entertainment outside the GameTrailers/SA/AVGN bubble is just horribly bad. I've still yet to find anything as overall entertaining and enjoyable video-wise outside GT/SA/AVGN.

I don't care for blocks of faceless text on the same subject. They're all about having fun with games. Give them some credit!

Although I do enjoy Retronauts...even though I feel that most of their knowledge is learned over time and not recently researched. (That's not a crime, either)

Anyway, I hope you don't take what I said personally. But I needed to say it and I feel much better now :)

I really don't mind videogame journalism to be fun, I read socksmakepeoplesexy.net and my favourite magazines are stuff like Sega Power and Arcade and listen to 1up yours because they have a sense of fun about them. I also hate Edge for the exact opposite reason Of course writing and talking about games can be fun but I'd also like to learn something new about games when I read them. Top 10 lists that only contain well known or recently released games don't do that for me. You might think screwattack is fun (I'd file it under childish) but it isn't informative in anyway while there's dozens of other people ot there being both fun and informative and doing a way better job of it and most of them don't even get paid for it. Screwattack is a bunch of amateurs that were choosen not because of their knowledge but because the kids would like them, a much less crap Gamesville to be honest.

Also a Top 10 shoot'em ups with UN Squadron as the no. 1 best game ever and includes dross like Raptor and Super R-type while leaving out Radiant Silvergun is a crime andmakes baby jesus cry.

I actually like screwattack, and was glad when Handsome Tom got the boot (never found him entertaining in the least)... but then for the same reasons as AVGN, I just like looking at the footage of old games. They tend to remind me of old games that I'd played but completely forgot about. Don't really watch or pay attention to their "Top 10" lists. The internet has enough people making lists as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Yathzee (spelling meh) reviews current games and offers a snide arrogant polarised opinion of them.

AVGN takes games so old, rare and obscure it isn't a review of something you are likely to buy, it is a humorous look back at the past, and with an application of good gaming critique and great humor. Its something that is pure entertainment.

Yawntzee tends to bitch about games with no soul, a marketed product, and recently had a whinge for his whole video about dragons age, because it was hard, when hard games are what we really miss in this new pick up and play xbox live era. Oh, and he likes to throw in spoiler after spoiler chasing a gag.

AVGN = Bill bailey

Yahtzee = Tommy Tiernan

Bah humbug

Oh, and he likes to throw in spoiler after spoiler chasing a gag.

Yeah, I've had to stop watching his reviews due to the spoilers until I've actually played the game (or never plan on playing it). He ruins key parts of the story and then follows it up with something like "if you hadn't worked that out before playing then you're a twat"... well I hadn't and it's rich saying that AFTER you've played it :mad:

Advertisement