Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin - Cork tomorrow

• 22-12-2009 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Have to go to Cork tomorrow and back in the evening.

With the bad weather the past few days was wondering am I doing myself any favours by going down. Not driven to Cork before but I imagine the main road will be ok-ish?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The road was fine yesterday. I was happily plodding along at 120kph without any worry of ice. However, the old M7 towards Portlaoise might have me worried.

Its very old school by motorway standards and often has ice on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

jozi wrote: »
    Have to go to Cork tomorrow and back in the evening.

With the bad weather the past few days was wondering am I doing myself any favours by going down. Not driven to Cork before but I imagine the main road will be ok-ish?

All motorways are fine. Salted regularly. They have temp sensors in the road that allow them to monitor the road conditions.

Keep to the main roads and you'll be grand. Drive secondary roads are your peril.....

Edit: as berty said watch out for the old part of M7......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Good enough. Think the last bit might be secondary roads though :D But I'll be following someone by then.

How will I know the old part of the M7? With it being so close to xmass I expect the road not to be to quiet and plenty of cars slowing for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

+1 with what Nice Guy says.
    The road is always salted and the motorways are usually the safest roads during icy conditions.
    I'm doing my homeward bound trip to cork tomorrow so I hope it can cope with the -9 degrees forecasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Bit worried myself, terrified of driving on icy roads. Hopefully the main roads will be okay, I have about half an hour of secondary roads once I get to Cork though so better be extra careful on them. Is there any time of day that would be better? I was thinking of heading away around 12, didn't want to leave too early but don't want to leave it too late either.

• Advertisement

-9 Bloody hell :( that doesn't happen to often.

I'm looking forward to a little bit of snow driving as there isn't any around here in Dublin Ice is a bit more worrying though

I'll be of in the morning. Dublin was mad busy yesterday around lunch time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Minus 6 in Watergrasshill last night at 2am......roads were grand.

One more tip folks that most people forget. If you dont have a small drop of anti freeze in your window washer.....put a small bit in. Your washer will freeze very quick and you windscreen will be covered in salt!!!! And if your smart like the lady I met last night......a bottle of water out the window just freezes the wipers and the rubber wont work as well!!!!!!!!!

Thats a good point.

I put some of that citrus stuff in last time i filled it up, didn't notice it freezing yesterday when i used it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

A guy from Dublin drove to Cork to finish a job at my place of work today. All roads were fine - according to him anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Just a small tip. But carry a can of window de-icer with you in the boot.

If you dont have access to warm water, its the next best way to clear ice off your windscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Good enough. Think the last bit might be secondary roads though :D But I'll be following someone by then.

Don't follow too close or it could get a bit embarrassing :)

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

I'll keep my distance as I always do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I drove from Limerick to Cork on back roads yesterday and back up using the N20. There was similar amounts of ice on both roads but less traffic on the R roads so I used that going down but I was on the wrong side of Cork to use it going back up.

The thing that people seem to forget when they get behind the wheel is this:

Just because there is snow and ice on the roads in your driveway and housing estate and you are slipping and sliding there WILL NOT BE the same amount on well used R and N roads so driving at 20kph is riddiculous. You are supposed to drive bearing the conditions of the road in mind BUT not all roads are the same conditions.

The old part of the M7 is basically anything from Kildare towards the Cork exit at Portlaoise. Its very well enclosed by high ditches and trees so the ice and frost stays there much longer unlike the exposed areas of the Kildare bypass.

When you get onto the M8 the roads will be fine mostly.

Use yours FOGS in FOG. There are soo many people who are driving without their front fogs on. Why pay extra for these on your car if you will not use them. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Heebusjeebus, it seems you know the roads to cork, why not let jozi follow you?

Hehe I don't mind following

Looks like a straight enough drive anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Hehe I don't mind following

Looks like a straight enough drive anyway
    Just thought you might have liked the experience on your side :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I was just coming on to ask the same thing :) Good to hear that the roads are OK - everyone's had me worried.

Will have an entire suitcase of clothes with me, and people were telling me throw in a few of those self heat hand warmers, a bar of chocolate and a bottle of water just in case I get stranded! I might take them anyway, but I can usually manage to go 3 hours without eating and drinking.

The last 10 minutes of my drive might be interesting though - steep hills that haven't thawed in a few days though :(

Nice guy, I'm going to throw some of that Halford's winter windscreen washer in shortly - will that do or should I throw a bottle of vodka in there too/instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Ah I'm sure you'll all be fine, just be careful on the stretch from Port Laoise through Abbeyleix and Durrow and then its back onto the motorway all the way.

To the person who said (s)he was gonna leave at 12, I'd say try and be gone by 10.Roads will be clearer the earlier you go, and just in case there are any big delays you still should arrive in Cork in daylight.

Safe driving, and happy holidays to you all, enjoy the time with your family and friends:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

For those of you heading really early (from aaroadwatch.ie):

Tipperary - The N8 Dublin Cork Rd is closed between Horse and Jockey and Littleton due to a fuel spill sp01.gif Updated: 23/12/2009 05:51:46 Use the M8 as an alternative

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/traffic/story.asp?id=107114

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Its raining now in Cork and still freezing - conditions are dire at the moment on secondary roads. Please be very careful.

• Advertisement

Thoie wrote: »
    Nice guy, I'm going to throw some of that Halford's winter windscreen washer in shortly - will that do or should I throw a bottle of vodka in there too/instead?

Was in Liffey Valley 'frauds yesterday and there are big variations on winter fluid. Standard own brand premix was down to -4'C, premium -6'C at 4.99/5.99 per 5 liters. They were stored outside so at least they have some faith in the product :-) I bought some Comma -68'C stuff myself at 5.99 a litre. The best own brand stuff was -23'C for 5.99 a litre.

The highest stuff is handy if you've mainly water in the washer atm and want to thaw it while the cold snap continues. Pretty small concentration of the good stuff results a frost free washer for me.

BTW. If the temp really goes below -4/5'C watch out as salt won't be able to thaw the surface when it's several degrees below minus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Sorry about the off topic but:

Do we use salt on the roads here now? I thought we only ever used grit?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Heard on the news last night the NRA have a list of road temps might be handy for thoes driving home for christmas! http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Got down in good time after this morning, left North Dublin around 10 and got home for 1. Traffic was very quiet, was surprised, thought it would be much busier. The roads were grand all the way, not a bother until I had to go my own direction towards Killavullen but even at that the back forest roads weren't as bad as I've seen them other years so it was a grand journey home. Safe driving everyone.

Made it to Fermoy and back. Bit of snow/rain on the way back. No problems with slippery roads though. Also ended up leaving Dublin north around 10.

Was still a bit cautious driving most of the way, keeping up with other cars or driving at my own pace.

Also managed an all time high of nearly 34mpg :D (It should be higher but I don't know why I can't manage it)

Advertisement