Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survivor: Season 20 *** Spoilers for TG4 Viewers ***

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

I don't know if I'd like to see any of the people from the first 20 seasons come back again. I think the 20 seasons should kind of be contained to themselves and move forward now with just new players again. Although there are some people I'd love to see again. I really wish Fairplay had been on Heroes v Villains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I agree, johnnycnandy, no more past-seasoners.

I think it's time they looked at the mechanics of the game a bit too. I'd be surprised if the current setup of immunity challenges + hidden idols will continue. While the wild-card element is entertaining, this season went a bit overboard.

Maybe we could list some things we liked from past seasons?

Something I thought was good was in the All-Stars where there were three tribes at the start, and one was disolved before merge. The kidnap/reconnaissance mission in Pearl Islands was good too. I can't think of any more atm, but I know there are lots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mickalis

I thought it was a really good twist in one of the seasons, escapes me which one at the minute, where all the people who were voted off at the start were secretly kept on another part of the island and fed the bare essentials that the other tribes had, ie rice, beans or whatev, and were joined up as a third tribe that came back to compete against the other two. Added a totally different dimension to it.

Agree with some of the other posts about the idols getting out of hand. A good twist that just sprung to mind would be this, but kinda goes against my point of too many idols :D ...anyway:

In all the personal items that people are allowed bring the producers should hide an immunity idol in each one of them with a note saying something like 'You were randomly chosen to receive a hidden immunity idol'. and perhaps a rule that 'only one idol could be used at each tribal'. (so the first one to use one would be safe) but no one would know every other player had one so would be intense for the players to use it or not. and then to avoid everyone having them if there was a merge Jeff could say after three of four tribals that all the immunity idols (just say they were all green to begin with) were invalid from there on so everyone would be back to just relying on their social alliance or getting the immunity for themselves....ah survivor, so good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Mickalis wrote: »
    I thought it was a really good twist in one of the seasons, escapes me which one at the minute, where all the people who were voted off at the start were secretly kept on another part of the island and fed the bare essentials that the other tribes had, ie rice, beans or whatev, and were joined up as a third tribe that came back to compete against the other two. Added a totally different dimension to it.

I've seen every season and honestly don't remember this... When did this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They were called the Castaways, Johnny Fairplay was one of them I think, I think it was Ruperts first appearance aswell so it was the Pirate-themed season, Cook Islands. Jeff Probst said in an interview that it was a mistake and it didnt go down well with fans at all and they wouldnt be doing it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Yeah the Castaways was an awful idea. Iirc, yer wan Lil was a Castaway and made it to the final two, making Sandra a shoo-in to win.

A simple thing from the earlier seasons was that the merged tribe had to build a brand-new shelter. This always caused tension, which I'd guess would lead to new alliances being forged.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I liked when they got the tribes to choose 2 people to 'compete in a challenge' and when they met they realised they were just swapping tribes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Aard wrote: »
    Yeah the Castaways was an awful idea. Iirc, yer wan Lil was a Castaway and made it to the final two, making Sandra a shoo-in to win.

A simple thing from the earlier seasons was that the merged tribe had to build a brand-new shelter. This always caused tension, which I'd guess would lead to new alliances being forged.
    Yeah thats a good idea, and bring back the Home Depot shelter building challenge where the architect judges the results with Jeff aswell, maybe 3 tribes next time aswell, I remember they had a season of black people vs whites vs Asians recently :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

late to the party... been busy and finally caught up on the end of the season.

As much as I'd of liked Russell to win, it's purely because he's entertaining to watch. But he's far too rigidly logical for his own good. He views the game like a maths equation, if he gets all the variables to line up he'll make it to the end.

His flaw is that he imagines ever other human on the planet also thinks like this, that they'd applaud him for his stratagems and give him the money.

Which is why he said he'd give Parvati the money if he was on the Jury, he respects her cunning and intelligence. He couldn't fathom why she wouldn't respect his. He can't see that she may be holding an emotional grudge against him because of Danielle or the various bullying and cajoling he's been doing of her throughout the season.

For once I agree with Rupert. It is easy to get to the final if you lie, cheat and bully for the entire game. If you make alliances then break them and constantly weave a tapestry of lies and chaos you will probably get to the end easily. But you won't win.

I liken it to keeping plates spinning on poles. It's a lot easier to do if you let plates fall and break when you don't need them, and only worry about keeping your own plate spinning. But the game of survivor is difficult because this isn't the case, you've got to be able to stab people in the back and have them thank you for it. You have to keep all plates spinning all the time.

I've come to appreciate the coat tail riders like Sandra. If this was the Tour de France, we'd applaud the guy that gets behind the guy in first and conserves his energy in his wake until the final push where he can win. It's smart play. They may not be the most entertaining to watch, but the coat tail riders have the perfect Survivor strategy to winning the million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 survivorfan

finally somwhere to discuss all things survivor!!heroes versus villains had some of the best moments ever. parvati excelled,bad players were shown up. very new to this so is there any other groups around?? we all waiting for survivor 21:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

They're filiming in Nicaragua right now =)

Advertisement