Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Leaking Problem

Options
  • 22-12-2009 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi

I just heard a dripping noise in the attic so I went to investigate and discovered that the inner side of the roof (i.e. the felt lining) was dripping water. The drip pattern below is pretty linear.

What kind of problem do I have ? I'm not sure what to do or what type of professional to call to help.

Only one side of the roof is dripping. It's south westish facing and the house is a rectangular bungalow with 2 sided roof. I added extra insulation layers this time last year but took care to leave what I thought was sufficient ventilation. The heating has been on fairly continuously for about the last 4-5 days (normally it's less than 10 hrs/day). I've never noticed any leaks before with all the heavy rain this year and it hasn't rained in the last few days as it's been very cold - around zero.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Any chance of a picture?

Is it near a chimney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 nb1967

The first two images (125-6) are of the inside of the roof. You can see the water collecting there. The third image is just to show how the water is falling on the insulation rolls I had previously placed.

There's another spot in the roof where I discovered the bare silver foil of the topside of the ceiling was exposed and this led to some damp showing through on the ceiling below - I think this I where I first heard the dripping noise that alerted me to this.

I've called a roofer to come have a look at it in the morning. He said he thinks it doesn't sound too unusual but I figured it's worth a callout fee to allay my own concerns.

The chimney is on the opposite side of the house where there is no problem at all.

Advertisement