Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revision books

Options
  • 22-12-2009 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I was just wondering which are generally the better revision book series-rapid revision,less stress more sucess or revise wise???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jamesie_boy

Depends on the subject.Revise wise is great for humanities subjects like history and geography nd stuff.Maybe go with less stress for Maths and science subjects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

rapid revision for french
    revise wise for chemistry
    less stress for art history
    and that's all my knowledge........

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Rapid Revision Chemistry is very good, as is Less Stress Geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

ted9308 wrote: »
    I was just wondering which are generally the better revision book series-rapid revision,less stress more sucess or revise wise???

different for each subject, i hear bad things about less stress though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I got that 'Essentials Unfolded' for Biology. Someone on this forum recommended it. I was a bit dissapointed with how small it is at the start but now I realise its VERY useful before tests. Small size and condensed information, easy to read diagrams. Tá sé nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

I agree - "Essentials Unfolded" for Biology is a little miracle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭xxmeabhxx

The composition and language genres section in less stress, more success for english is brilliant. Really good at explaining the different language genres and how to structure your essays, it's definitely helped me improve this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

If you're doing Chemistry it Really depends on which book you're doing. But if you -like me- are using 'Chemistry Now' Go for Rapid Revision. But generally the books are over-packed while the revision books break down everything and tell you what you need.
    Also if you're doing art history 'less stress' can be handy as it has more notes and whatnot.
    As said, really depends on the subject and to a lesser extent the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 examnerd

can tell you that there are errors in the Art History Less Stress book -re. Degas and other stuff. My teacher is also an art historian and we have been warned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 examnerd

Hi there,

Would anyone know what revision books are best for Science subjects and Maths?

• Advertisement

examnerd wrote: »
    can tell you that there are errors in the Art History Less Stress book -re. Degas and other stuff. My teacher is also an art historian and we have been warned
    Really? Thanks for that! Luckily for me, I got my friends printed off notes so I have Degas covered I think but I'll look out for that! Any other artists to look out for? :)

What science subjects do you have?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

examnerd wrote: »
    Hi there,

Would anyone know what revision books are best for Science subjects and Maths?

I only know about Higher level Maths, and didn't find any of the revision books to be great to be honest. They really only went through examples. Revise Wise was the best of a bad lot.

For Biology I always found Revise Wise to be very good. Stay well clear of Less Stress More Success for it anyway, it's useless. For Chemistry I didn't really use a revision book- I did have the Rapid Revision one, but found it a bit scant on details to be honest. It'd definitely need to be used in conjuction with your textbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Revise wise for Geography and Rapid revision for Business is quiete good aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

For Maths and Accounting, the best revision books are examples from previous years and marking schemes.

For Chemistry, Rapid Revision is the way to go.

All the less stress books I got were shocking tbf.

Less Stress are not the best at all. As my chemistry teacher put it 'more stress,less success!'

Orlaladuck wrote: »
    Less Stress are not the best at all. As my chemistry teacher put it 'more stress,less success!'

Most of them haven't been updated in a long time. A few years ago they put those new orange covers on them. They look new, but they're far from it. Stay clear of them.

Lol really? they just put another cover on them? That's awful! :L

Orlaladuck wrote: »
    Lol really? they just put another cover on them? That's awful! :L

Ya, they used to be green and older looking. They didn't change the content of the books at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭aimerlans

key notes is brilliant for english.. covers soo much! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Wise Owl

snip

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

dambarude wrote: »
    I only know about Higher level Maths, and didn't find any of the revision books to be great to be honest. They really only went through examples. Revise Wise was the best of a bad lot.

Thanks! You just saved me 20 euros.

Anyway, I have revise wise for Geography and rapid revision for Chemistry and I think they're great. I'm going to get Rapid Revision for Physics tomorrow. I heard Revisewise is better but I have 3 other friends that I could borrow it from :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

dambarude wrote: »
    Ya, they used to be green and older looking. They didn't change the content of the books at all.
    That's not true for all of them; they made a lot of improvements to the art history one. Actually less stress for art history is better than any text book for the subject I've seen.

But less stress sucks for most other subjects: half the sample calculations were wrong in the chemistry one.

Advertisement