Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Trial

Options
  • 22-12-2009 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

my other half was recently selling a horse and a few of the callers he got wanted to take the horse on trial.

this rose a debate which is still ongoing,

he (my other half) is completely against giving horses on trial because we've done it before and got horses back in very bad condition. he said he would allow a potential buyer to visit the horse and ride,jump, hack down the road etc as many times as they want before purchasing which he said should be sufficent for a buyer.

personally, i wouldn't be in favour of it either but i refused to give into the debate and stressed how i can see the reasons why people would want to bring a horse home and try it in different surroundings etc.

so my question is, how important is it to get a horse on trial when buying them? would you give your horse on trial? and how can you trust the person your giving them to?

looking forward to seeing peoples opinions and comments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

If it was me, I'd ask to see where the horse is going and look at the stables, facilities, and the food to see if it suitable. Other than that there is no other way of knowing how your horse will be treated while on trial.

Most buyers prefer to have a horse on trial first to be sure they aren't buying a "faulty" horse. Although most sellers are safe and reliable, there is always the one who ruins it for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I can understand the potential buyers' point of view, but as an owner who has given ponies on trial - to supposedly good homes - in the past, there's no way I'd give a horse on trial again. The ponies either came back very thin, with sore mouths, or just not riding well. I understand that the buyers would like to try the horse before they buy it, but in future I'd go down the route your boyfriend is talking about and let the buyer try the horse as many times as they want at home, but I wouldn't let the horse go out of the yard again before it had been purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

I think your OH's compromise is fair enough. When I got my first pony he came on trial to the yard for a month, and some people do ruin it by selling dodgy ponies/horses that they have on meds of some sort in their own yard, only for the poor buyer to get the horse and you find out what it's really like.

Best thing to do for both sides is to allow access to the buyer in your own yard, and they should get a vet to check it over or someone trustworthy that knows about horses.

I bought our mare without a trial, and am just about to start riding her now, she was in foal when we got her, but by just handling her over the last year+ and lunging her when we first got her, I have now built up a trust with her.
    (I have been out of the saddle for a few years, so lack in confidence)
    I don't think I could let her out on trial if I was selling her, but would offer the same as what your OH suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 workaholic2

totally agree, have seen WAY too many horses and ponies being let go for a trial in a potential buyers home, and coming back ruined and in poor conditions! unfortunately there are genuine people out there that wouldn't do your horse any harm, but in todays market, its hard to suss out whether or not they are! :(

best bet is to let them come and try your horse, as many times as they like, doing various things, tacking up, hacking out, jumping, arena work, and get a vet cert (get them to cover the costs) if they want one. that way, everyones a winner, and you don't have to worry about your horse coming back in an awful state! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

yeah i know we've got horses back in awful condition to, why do people do that, i mean if they want the horse why not care for it.

i dont' understand it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 workaholic2

I think with alot of people, its ignorance, and not actually knowing that they are doing the horse harm. some people just do not know how to properly care for a horse, whether its through lack of experience, lack of knowledge, or lack or them actually giving a toss about the well being of a horse, i dont know. but it does happen, and its so sad, because you could put in years of work with ur horse, and it could be destroyed so easily by someone, and then returned to you after the trial, and your'e back to square one, maybe even worse! :( I defo wouldn't give my horse out on trial, the thought of someone mistreating her, or un-doing all of the time and effort I've put into her, would kill me, its just not worth the risk. at least if the potential buyer makes the effort to come up and try your horse out doing different things, you know that they are serious about buying a good horse, and u can also observe how they are around your horse (kind of like a trial--but for potential buyers lol :D) Then if they do buy your horse, you know that you can trust that person, as they have spent time getting to know your horse properly! That way, its not so heartbreaking to see them leave. At least u know your horse will be loved and cared for....and ultimately, happy with his/her new owner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

Of all the horses we have had, I have never had a horse on trial, apart from my very first 11.2hh pony and in that case we knew the owners and had taken her on loan. We just loved her so much that we decided to buy her at the end of the loaning period.
    I would never, ever let a horse out on trial. Have heard too many scare stories about joy riders and messers and people who don't look after the horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

I wouldn't normally let any of mine go on trial but my pony is going out on trial tomorrow morning. I have seen where he is going, met with the family and their instructor and seen them around the pony and how they handle them. I also have someone else at the yard that will keeo an eye on how things are going. With this pony I do prefer that he goes on trial because I do want them to make sure they really like him and that he suits 100% before they buy him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have a horse on trial at the moment. Its unusual in that he was basically given to me in a 'take this horse, he suits you, you should buy him... really' sort of way. My other horse is injured and I wont hunt him again ya see... but he should be fine for everything else.

How many horses does a girl need... *sigh*

(I dont think the answer to that is three somehow)

Advertisement