Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rally Ireland To Move From North West to East??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭chris_c

Its starting to look like it might, fingers crossed it won't but if all the carry on at motorsport Ireland isn't sorted we might not have a rally Ireland:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Ok, it might not be the worst thing ever.

But it is a massive blow to the local economies of Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim, Cavan and the Border counties.However, Louth, Monaghan and that part do deserve a turn.

The Rally was granted to the the country on the condition that it is ran between the republic and the north.

If it were to be based in dublin then the drive from the north to the base would be quite long and with Rally rules on refuels and other help on the side of the road then it might cause a few people getting caught out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I read about this in the Dundalk Democrat a good while ago.
    They were saying it would be a good move to have it based in Dundalk IT and stages in the surrounding area. Good road links to both Dublin and Belfast which would leave it easier for a lot of people to travel especially from overseas.
    I dont mind were it is tbh as long as they manage to keep it in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

It's an absolute sham and dirty politics is all that's involved here. Based in Dublin? What a joke. It's the end of the WRC in this country. We fought hard for it to happen and some pleb kills it off. They'll loose it because of their ignorance. I'd really love to know what idiot is behind this decision, because he should be beaten.
    It's probably the same knob who killed the Circuit of Ireland when they moved that to a Dublin base. There's nothing for rallying over there, that's why there never was and should never be any rally over that direction. All you'll have is traffic and crap stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭yeahme

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    It's an absolute sham and dirty politics is all that's involved here. Based in Dublin? What a joke. It's the end of the WRC in this country. We fought hard for it to happen and some pleb kills it off. They'll loose it because of their ignorance. I'd really love to know what idiot is behind this decision, because he should be beaten.
    It's probably the same knob who killed the Circuit of Ireland when they moved that to a Dublin base. There's nothing for rallying over there, that's why there never was and should never be any rally over that direction. All you'll have is traffic and crap stages.
    didnt hear about this till now, but sfj, can they not go and just leave it the way it is,
    rally has a lot of supporters from the region where it was held, why does everything have to be in Dublin, agreed 100% with tea

• Advertisement

http://www.motorsportireland.com/

Take a look at the last few statements. Lots of crap going on at HQ, resulting in the CEO resigning among others. What's the chances it's somehow related to the relocation of WRC? All coming around the same time. It's a disgrace that idiots bickering and some hairbrained idea causes the loss of WRC for us fans.
    Typical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

The circuit died because it was too long and too expensive.It was a great rally to watch when it was a "circuit" but , as spectators don't put their hands in their pockets , they don't have any say about where rallies are run.
    The main reason that the WRC would move to the east is because of the farce of accommodation costs.SLIGO KILLED THE GOOSE THAT LAID THE GOLDEN EGG.
    Tea 1000 says "we fought hard to make this happen"What exactly did he do , because , if he was involved , he would know who had actually done the real work.
    The north-west has no god given right to the WRC and I think the north-east coast would be a better , more accessible and cost effective location.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I do have some Knowledge in the ground work that goes into organizing a stage in the area.
    Not directly (brother involved in the organising.)
    And to be honest a return to an area would be a great boost to the areas involved..
    I do agree that the cost in bringing a rally to an area is serious, But that businesses in this reigon did not take in to consideration how much can come from a rally..A WRC event brings serious fans People who know what they are talking about and have money to spend..,,Not just S-hit talking, Tyre Kickers..

The North West offers a better more challanging rally,I agree that the access might better in the east, But better organising of this could also make it more better in the NW..
    I would also be in favour of having it on a rotational basis NE-NW, But Not in Dublin..I 'm sorry I would loose all interest if I had to go to Dublin to watch a rally....Sure Where would we get the ditch'es to stand on for a start???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭hi_sir

the main clubs thaty have put in the work are all on the west coast no one club in the eastern area have any experience of running major rallies,the north east MC couldnt even get a mini stages of the ground a couple of months ago yet in these challing time sligo,donegal,enniskillen MC's have ran sucessful and well ran events.
    if stages used in the ALMC in recent years are to go by in the nort east all we have to look forward to will be big straight junction big straight,
    another stumbling block i can see is you are moving into a very heavly populated area and as i have seen in the past on events in the east coast let it be louth meath or wicklow local people just dont want the upheval of a closed road rally.
    if the event was to move from its sligo base a better base in my oppinion would be letterkenny derry option,where rallying is in its heartland,help or local copperation would not be a problem.after all this area is the true home of irish rallying.
    anyway there may be a chance that this may not take place after all we backed the wrong horse in the FIA presidential battel.and todt has been knowing to say he will not look favourably on the associations that backed vatanen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

LoanShark wrote: »

What say you?

wohooo! - that is all.

Actually no that isnt all after reading the thread :mad:
    Im willing to bet that most opposing it with such vigor on this thread especially, a) live around there, and b) are either publicans, B&B owners, or hotelliers :rolleyes:

its the RALLY OF IRELAND not RALLY OF THE NW IRELAND, about bloody time it moved!!!!!!!

work-for-change.gif
    tea 1000 wrote:
    t's an absolute sham and dirty politics is all that's involved here.

I know! the FF senator is way out of line scaremongering..
    tea 1000 wrote:
    t's an absolute sham and dirty politics is all that's involved here. Based in Dublin? What a joke. It's the end of the WORLD. We fought hard for it to happen and some pleb kills it off. They'll loose it because of their ignorance. I'd really love to know what idiot is behind this decision, because he should be beaten.
    It's probably the same knob who killed the Circuit of Ireland when they moved that to a Dublin base. There's nothing for rallying over there [I dont have any B&B's, pubs or hotels over there], that's why there never was and should never be any rally over that direction.

abrn60l.jpg
    same dude wrote:
    All you'll have is traffic and crap stages. If I have anything to do with

you really do sound like you'd love the PO forum much better ;)

• Advertisement

I don't think we backed the wrong horse , I just think the wrong horse won and a statement like his is proof of that.Rember that Rally Ireland was not run by just the clubs in the NW , every club on the island helped as they will no-matter where it is based.I do agree that it should be rotated and share the profit in different areas.
    P.S. has nobody ever heard of SALLY GAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

se conman wrote: »

or wicklow gap or djouce mountain or mt leinster or any other boreens that are not mutually exclusive to the NW...then again if you spend your time burrowed into your community you dont get to see that whats on the other side of the fence is actually just as good or better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭hi_sir

se conman wrote: »
    I don't think we backed the wrong horse , I just think the wrong horse won and a statement like his is proof of that.Rember that Rally Ireland was not run by just the clubs in the NW , every club on the island helped as they will no-matter where it is based.I do agree that it should be rotated and share the profit in different areas.
    yes the sally cap the last time a stage was to run there on the COI the whole of tallagh went on a day trip wouldnt do what they were told and stage had to be cancled.

me@ucd wrote: »
    wohooo! - that is all.

Actually no that isnt all after reading the thread :mad:
    Im willing to bet that most opposing it with such vigor on this thread especially, a) live around there, and b) are either publicans, B&B owners, or hotelliers :rolleyes:

its the RALLY OF IRELAND not RALLY OF THE NW IRELAND, about bloody time it moved!!!!!!!

work-for-change.gif

I know! the FF senator is way out of line scaremongering..

abrn60l.jpg

you really do sound like you'd love the PO forum much better ;)

what bullsh1t you have throw'n out of you there this is a discussion about rallying not some random babble
    yea its rally ireland in the NW but then you take rally finland and its been held in Jyvaskyla year on year when its not broke dont fix it,yes on some WRC events they have moved within the reigon its held.
    Fact is that the best rallying stages and intrest is on the west coast from mayo, sligo,Donegal, Derry, Fermanagh to cavan monaghan.

Dublin has nothing to offer rallying only tailbacks. Traffic in the neighbouring counties is too busy for closed roads and re-routes. There isn't even a rally run in that direction that's part of the ITC.
    If they're going to move it, the only real options are as was said the Donegal/Derry direction or Kerry/Cork direction (won't happen because of cross-border funds).
    It doesn't matter anyway, it won't be back because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

LoanShark wrote: »
    http://oceanfm.ie/news/2009/12/22/north-west-to-lose-rally-ireland-macsharry-claim/

Just Read this on Local Radio Site..

I think this might just be the worst move ever to happen.

What say you?

it should move every year with SS's near by ( putting small towns on the map )

but based out of the capital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The ISC run the WRC... Its up to then what they want... When they say jump you say how high!!!

Also a stage in the phinox park would be deadly...

afatbollix wrote: »
    The ISC run the WRC... Its up to then what they want... When they say jump you say how high!!!

Also a stage in the phinox park would be deadly...

would be nice to meet loeb again, he asked me for directions :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Dublin has nothing to offer rallying only tailbacks.

Tailbacks, created by fans perhaps? Because most of the country lives in the East, and as such, has most of the potential audience. Which is what Rally Ireland needs.

Trust me, there are plenty of ****e roads to drive on in the East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I'm not being in any way biased here but the main reason for not moving it to the east would be the small fact that when ireland first put forward a submission, on paper, to run a round of the WRC it was submitted as using the east coast area as it main region it was refused, the year after they submitted the NW region the rest is history.....if they didn't like it then they will surely not like it now, althought the WRC has gone done the pan recently IRC is the way forward, its not just a 1 man show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

True dat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Some of the ignorance in relation to rallying and particularly the WRC event being expressed on this thread is embarrassing...seriously people at least research your topic before sticking words to thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭echoindi

do you happen to know what all the fuss is about between motorsport ireland and the rallies committee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

echoindi wrote: »
    do you happen to know what all the fuss is about between motorsport ireland and the rallies committee?
    That's the $64,000 question!

amacachi wrote: »
    True dat.

yes, nothing like rippin through dundalk at 10 mph, any faster and the potholes or UC's will get you.

Dublin has great tight rounds with a decent surface...

beats all the cultchie scums screaming and i qoute " **** you ya ****, if its not a ****in mkII dont ****in bother "

considering the fact that he must of drove a fair bit ( cork accent ) to the rally of the lakes last year...

he screamed this at ever car, he looked sober/sound in the head

Irony at its best folks.

for this reason alone: all are bases belong to us.

Dublin/wicklow for the next raly.

For some of us mere mortals here , would it be possible for you to decipher that last post please Pdfile.

Pdfile wrote: »
    yes, nothing like rippin through dundalk at 10 mph, any faster and the potholes or UC's will get you.

Dublin has great tight rounds with a decent surface...

beats all the cultchie scums screaming and i qoute " **** you ya ****, if its not a ****in mkII dont ****in bother "

considering the fact that he must of drove a fair bit ( cork accent ) to the rally of the lakes last year...

he screamed this at ever car, he looked sober/sound in the head

Irony at its best folks.

for this reason alone: all are bases belong to us.

Dublin/wicklow for the next raly.

there is always one person who tries to turn in into a Dublin is the best place and anyone from outside dublin is a cultie/inbread,if you have nothing good to say then say nothing at all.

BACK TO TOPIC - seriously all you have to do is look at an entriy list for pretty much any rally in the country(that i've been to) it usually will give you location and if there are 150 entries you will have at the most 5 from dublin , why send it to somewhere that doesn't really support rallying,i wouldn't mind seeing it go elsewhere in the country, but not dublin it is only my opinion though

I would agree "not Dublin" but I would like to see it moved to sort of Louth/Armagh area.The main benifit to the chosen area is accomadation and after what happened in Sligo last time , I don't think that they deserve to get it again.

echoindi wrote: »

While it is unresolved & lawyers are involved I'm afraid it's not up for discussion on here...

Keep Dublin for the Phoenix Park races and trips out to Mondello to watch single seaters and saloon touring, not rallying where the trickiest most challenging roads, surfaces and hightest levels of talent combine to provide the spectacle.

Leave Rally Ireland where it is, it has been extremely successful so far and any number of clubs and counties can queue to host but it has been proven a sucess in the North West through years of hard work and dedicated volunteers.

• Advertisement

De Hipster wrote: »
    While it is unresolved & lawyers are involved I'm afraid it's not up for discussion on here...

It certainly seems that way alright !icon8.gif

***EDIT***

Sorry we cant have any details published here. If it becomes public then we have discuss it until then its off limits.

LIGHTNING

***EDIT***

Many thanks for shiding some light on it for us, lets hope it is resolved before monday otherwise no galway int this year.

:rolleyes: it was made pubic everything i said is being discussed widely on verious other forums, did you take a look at the post i reportedlast night? PM sent

Tailbacks, created by fans perhaps? Because most of the country lives in the East, and as such, has most of the potential audience. Which is what Rally Ireland needs.

No, tailbacks created by the same people who create said tailbacks every day. PLUS rally fans thrown into the mix. Therefore no one could get anywhere. Fans couldn't get to more than one stage, non-fans would be late and comlpaining at the rally. Lets face it, Dublin people aren't rally fans. How many Dublin cars or folk has anyone here seen at any rally recently?
    Just because some place has the highest population, doesn't mean it's the most suitable place. It'd be like holding the GB rally in London. Pointless. Dublin's infrastructure is so poor it can't hold it's own traffic, and yet people here think it's a great idea to let the WRC be based there? Seriously - that's small mindedness at its best!

Tea 1000 should , I think , read all posts and he would then find that nobody on this thread actually recommends that Rally Ireland be based in Dublin.He also made a comment about the person that moved the COI to a Dublin base wanting to ruin Rally Ireland by doing the same , if he knew anything about rallying he would know that the COI is or was run by the UAC and not by MI.

• Advertisement

Pdfile wrote: »
    it should move every year with SS's near by ( putting small towns on the map )

but based out of the capital.
    FYI - se conman, and I didn't underline that part either, the poster did.

My appoliges , you found 1 poster that wants RI run out of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cavanguy

On the note of rally ireland moving to the east of the country i dont think it will happen from an FIA side of matters.yes,i would like to see a change but the work that has to go into setting up a rally of this size is for more time comsuming that a rally like the ALMC or even my home rally of the cavan stages.
    Rally ireland HAS to be a cross border rally like it or not!!The governing bother of the FIA stated this the first day when ireland got the go ahead to stage the world event.Sligo was chosen a rally HQ and enniskillen as the rally start. Stages has to be run in the republic as well as the north.
    On the issue of the stages used,by my reculation,FIA have to reece them years before and say that they are the stages to b used so they cant be changed.

Advertisement