Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mo no AGAT ?

• 22-12-2009 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

hi

Sorry for the pretty basic and low language question but is it:

ta se fuar hoin agat or
    ta se fuar hoin orm

or neither ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

hoin :confused:

What sentence are you trying to say?

Edited to say, whats the english of what you are trying to say

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

LowOdour wrote: »
    hoin :confused:

What sentence are you trying to say?

Edited to say, whats the english of what you are trying to say

Well I guess that tells me I'm completely wrong, again !

I have a cold arse ! is the English of what I'm trying to say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

flynnboy wrote: »
    Well I guess that tells me I'm completely wrong, again !

I have a cold arse ! is the English of what I'm trying to say :D

Tá mo thóin fuar

Ceilteach wrote: »
    Tá mo thóin fuar

Hmmmmm, boxxxxks. I am constantly trying to interpret evreyday things into Irish and tonight I came in with a cold arse.....and tried to say it to my wife.

I thought I was trying to say: "It is a cold arse I have" or perhaps "It is a cold arse I have on me"

So I figured: "It is" as 'Ta se' so...'Ta se hoin fuar (sorry for the spelling and I admit I got the noun and adjective wrong way around) and then either agat or orm......

So why is it 'Ta mo' rather than than Ta Se (it is) together with 'agat' ?

Hell I sometimes think I'm never going to get this :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭littlecat

You're very close and I think anyone would understand what you were trying to say - but as in English there are two ways of saying it:

My arse is cold - tá mo thóin fuar - mo being my, which adds a h to tóin, tóin being the noun you're looking for.

I have a cold arse - tá tóin fuar agam/orm (open to correction here, I'm working from 11 year old Leaving Cert Irish!!).

This is closer to what you were saying but the sé is unnecessary in your original sentence. Tóin fuar atá agam/orm - tis a cold arse I have (begorrah) is another option... ;)

Fair play to you though, you're inspiring me to try harder, it was my best subject in the Leaving but it's more than rusty now!

• Advertisement

littlecat wrote: »
    You're very close and I think anyone would understand what you were trying to say - but as in English there are two ways of saying it:

My arse is cold - tá mo thóin fuar - mo being my, which adds a h to tóin, tóin being the noun you're looking for.

I have a cold arse - tá tóin fuar agam/orm (open to correction here, I'm working from 11 year old Leaving Cert Irish!!).

This is closer to what you were saying but the sé is unnecessary in your original sentence. Tóin fuar atá agam/orm - tis a cold arse I have (begorrah) is another option... ;)

Fair play to you though, you're inspiring me to try harder, it was my best subject in the Leaving but it's more than rusty now!

Thanks for your encouragement. I really appreciate it as I do often think I might just give up as I seem to get it wrong more often than not !

For your background info' I am English and have never spoken or heard a word of Irish before 2 months ago. My great grandparents were Irish and I now live in Donegal and I'm determined to learn Irish..... but get very disheartened by my constant errors. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Don't get disheartened, You live on the doorstep of a big Gaeltacht area, thats a great advantage to your learning
    Everyone makes mistakes, its part of the learning process
    Take a course or get some learner books like Buntas Cáint, thats base on Ulster Irish

Ádh mór ort/ Good luck to you

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have been going to a lesson a week for the last 9 weeks. The other 5 people are all Irish and learned a bit at school so they are getting on a little faster than I am. We are working from a book written by a woman from Oideas Gael at Gleann Cholm Cille; 'Enjoy Irish'. Do you know any good books on the verb tables ?

It's ironic that despite, as you say, living on the edge of the Donegal Gaeltacht I never come across any native speakers. My fear here is that even if I do get on with it and eventually I'm able to speak a little better, without using the language on a daily basis or at least a little each week I will lose it: you know the saying: 'use it or lose it'.

I have come across some strange reactions from my neighbours here who basically say "what the feck do you want learn that for?" :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Get yourself a good grammar book for starters
    Here's a link that has plenty of grammar on it
    http://nualeargais.ie/gnag/gramadac.htm

Don't be too overawed by Irish, the longer you learn it the easier it becomes

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Get yourself a good grammar book for starters
    Here's a link that has plenty of grammar on it
    http://nualeargais.ie/gnag/gramadac.htm

Don't be too overawed by Irish, the longer you learn it the easier it becomes

Thanks Crosaidi. That's a good link.

• Advertisement
Advertisement