Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goal of the Decade

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

gimmick wrote: »
    ^ Rivaldos overhead kick Vs Valencia for me.

And me.

There's very few players who would dare do that then and even fewer who could score it.

The competitors Zidane's goal, Messi's goal, Bergkamp's goal against Leicester, Di Canio's against Wimbledon, Zola's...weren't in as tight a game or indeed arguably not against the stronger side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Ronaldinho v Chelsea
    Every season and every league out there has freakishly great goals. How anyone can claim with conviction that di Canios this or Bergkamps that is the best ever or the best of the decade surely...ever...is beyond me. There is a whole world out there and football is not just Premiership or 'what's on Sky'.

A truly great goal is to score a truly great goal on a truly great occasion, isn't it? Therefore it's Zidane for me although I didn't like the result at all that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Zola v Norwich
    realcam wrote: »
    Every season and every league out there has freakishly great goals. How anyone can claim with conviction that di Canios this or Bergkamps that is the best ever or the best of the decade surely...ever...is beyond me. There is a whole world out there and football is not just Premiership or 'what's on Sky'.

it's a bit of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Messi v Getafe
    Bergkamp's goal vs Newcastle was just exquisite and something totally different so it got my vote.

Close second for me is the Cambiasso goal. Football after all is a team game and that was the complete team goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Other - Ollie Keogh from (not quite) the half way line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Ronaldinho v Chelsea
    IMO, Zidanes goal is the finest for the occasion and the importance of the goal and the difficulty of pulling off what he did i.e. volleyed a cross at head height on his bad foot from the edge of the box into the top corner to win a Champions League final. mental goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

My favourite has to be Maxi Rodriguez's goal against Mexico. I litterally jizzed myself when I saw it on television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Matt Taylor v Everton was special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Maniche's first goal is incredible (2nd goal)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Dom Matteo vs AC Milan...Goal of the century

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Gourcuff v PSG

Zidane wins for me.....but how the fudge can we go 5 pages and a poll without this goal. The guy had been off the pitch limping and getting treatment minutes before, his side 3-2 down right on the stroke of injury time in the 125th Cup Final.

You've all seen the goal. You might hate Stevie or Liverpool. But you can't deny the quality of this strike.

Oh and this hasn't been mentioned either?????

Considering Buffon was the best in the world at the time and Sheva had beaten some impressive defensive players and was angled away from goal, it's unlikely you'll find another player who could have scored this goal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

8-10 wrote: »

Zidane wins for me.....but how the fudge can we go 5 pages and a poll without this goal. The guy had been off the pitch limping and getting treatment minutes before, his side 3-2 down right on the stroke of injury time in the 125th Cup Final.

You've all seen the goal. You might hate Stevie or Liverpool. But you can't deny the quality of this strike.

Oh and this hasn't been mentioned either?????

Considering Buffon was the best in the world at the time and Sheva had beaten some impressive defensive players and was angled away from goal, it's unlikely you'll find another player who could have scored this goal.

beat me to the sheva goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have to vote for other, Ronaldinho has about 20 goals that are worthy of being on that poll but the one in the poll is a pretty ordinary effort by his standards.

Here are some of them, the no.2 on this list for me is one of the greatest goals ever. The goal against Real Madrid in the Bernabeau is another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ronaldinho v Chelsea
    For me has to be Zidane, the technique involved of hitting ball that perfectly falling from the sky and scoring is something only he could have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

From the list I'm torn between Rooney and Bergkamp, both brilliant in contrasting ways

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Prolly not of the decade but I was in the Camp Nou for it, the last great performance of Gaucho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Het-Field wrote: »
    Clearly composed by a Man Utd Fan.

I wonder what gave that way :rolleyes:
    Het-Field wrote: »
    Paolo Di Canio's vs Wimbledon is without doubt the best goal of all from the noughties.

Paolo Di Canio against Wimbledon was the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

Messi v Getafe

Figueroa who.......??? Class goal alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Ronaldo v Porto
    Yeah surprised that Gerrard goal v Middlesborough was picked. he is remembered for goals against West ham and Olympiakos the most. Strange selection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah, blank white squares are very under rated these days. Instead of dissing the options already listed, why not just suggest one yourself. Is it that difficult of a concept to grasp?:rolleyes:

yeah for some reason it didnt embed properly, but i edited my initial post to include the direct link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Goal number one here is better than most of those poll options -

And my favourite free kick -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ronaldinho v Chelsea
    Xavi6 wrote: »

Commentator makes that even better:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

SlickRic wrote: »
    out of that list...Cambiasso.

perfect team football.

closely followed by Messi's emulation of the master.

Ill show you a few team goals scored in the past 10 years more impressive and against better opposition.

Barca vs Liverpool (back when Barca were pretty much dire)

Nistelrooy vs Valencia

Here are my own biased choices. (I'll do a non biased pick iswell when I've more time to think)

Obviously the rivaldo overhead kick, and messi vs getafe are there, but they've already probably been posted.

I was just searching for Rivaldo's goal from the half way line - cant remember if that was in the 90's or the 00's, but the sad thing was, when I searched 'Rivaldo half way goal', it asked me, 'did you mean - Ronaldo half way goal'... Sad day for football right there. :p

8-10 wrote: »
    but how the fudge can we go 5 pages and a poll without this goal. The guy had been off the pitch limping and getting treatment minutes before feigning injury, his side 3-2 down right on the stroke of injury time in the 125th Cup Final

Fixed
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

As much as it pains me to say it, that Real Madrid vs Valencia goal is probably the best goal I've seen in the past 10 years. Watch it, it's perfection personified really, left back to right back, right back to right wing, right wing to left wing, left wing to striker- boom volley.... Beautiful slick passing, nobody takes an extra touch once it reaches the final third, with a chest pass, back heel and a perfect volley all thrown into the mix. It's breath taking, and my favourite goal of the 00's I'd say.

Here it is on it's own again, so it isn't lost in the jungle of clips I posted up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Ronaldinho v Chelsea
    Quality team goal from Real Madrid there alright!

Gourcuff v PSG
    Fixed
    :pac:

Well he did only need about 4 seconds of injury time.

Gourcuff v PSG

....if we're talking backheel goals I loved this one, purely because it was the 5th goal in a routing of the biggest team in the country, no better way to rub it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

eZe^ wrote: »

I was just searching for Rivaldo's goal from the half way line - cant remember if that was in the 90's or the 00's, but the sad thing was, when I searched 'Rivaldo half way goal', it asked me, 'did you mean - Ronaldo half way goal'... Sad day for football right there. :p

is it this one, at around 50 seconds?

shocking quality video though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Zola v Norwich
    from the Jersey i think it was 90s (I think it's a Kappa one right?)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

If Ronaldo, Gerrard or Rooney had scored this goal it would be on a lot more list. As its 'only' an Everton player it got no attention.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Goal number one here is better than most of those poll options -

That's a great free kick. The commentator shouting "Holy Smokes" makes it all the better.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Messi v Getafe
    Bergkamp V Newcastle :D.

Ronaldo v Porto
    Redzer7 wrote: »
    Bergkamp V Newcastle :D.
    Bergkamp would be my fourth. a class finisher

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

My personal favourite is the Totti goal vs. Inter

It's so effortless like he's not even trying. Never sprints and takes it off someone just inside the half

Zola v Norwich
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    My personal favourite is the Totti goal vs. Inter

It's so effortless like he's not even trying. Never sprints and takes it off someone just inside the half

It's a great goal, but the defending is absolutely horrible. The full back just backs off him, the midfielders don't even bother to close him down even though they are easily within touching distance and the CB who attempts a block just sort of falls over instead of making himself big... Totti had to do nothing but the finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Messi v Getafe
    The Bergkamp goal for me. You look at a goal like that and think "did he really mean that?". And Bergkamp was one of the few talents in the world that you can put your hand on heart and say Yeah, he meant it. Wonderful piece of skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Yeeee-Hawwww..

Zola v Norwich
    Sheepy99 wrote: »

*ahem*

a) the link is broken
    b) it's already been posted
    c) as I pointed out when I posted it that was from 1996/97.

not so cocky now are ya? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

It's a great goal, but the defending is absolutely horrible. The full back just backs off him, the midfielders don't even bother to close him down even though they are easily within touching distance and the CB who attempts a block just sort of falls over instead of making himself big... Totti had to do nothing but the finish.

yeah it's not the best but Italian defenders don't rush in and Totti feinted which threw Zi maria off creating space. It's just the glorious tension of the drop. Saw one live, not as good as that one, but it's such a spectacle. Time just kind of freezez then the stadium explodes

• Advertisement

Ronaldo v Porto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Zola v Norwich
    you joking?

if we all simply posted goals from our favourite players this could get out of hand very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Gourcuff v PSG
    Bergkamps goal was magic as were all of them in the list. However i just dont see how a goal that was just one touch, albeit outrageously good, could beat 20/30 seconds of magic from messi or ibrahimovic.

However to contradict myself slightly i would put zidane's as number 3 but thats because of the stage it was on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Dante

Messi v Getafe
    Bergkamp, closely followed by Cambiassio.

Zola v Norwich
    yeah it's not the best but Italian defenders don't rush in and Totti feinted which threw Zi maria off creating space.

There is a massive difference between rushing in and denying an opponent space. That's an utterly daft statement to make. They backed off. Totti always had more than a yard of space to himself, which is simply unacceptable. A good defender stays within arms reach of the attacker and he doesn't have to rush in to do this either. He makes himself big, stays on his toes and holds his ground until he's in a position to usher the attacker away from the goal.

Secondly, that's a pretty weak feint. If it had been at pace, fair enough however he had plenty of time to recover and didn't. He was caught asleep and flat footed, simple as.
    It's just the glorious tension of the drop. Saw one live, not as good as that one, but it's such a spectacle. Time just kind of freezez then the stadium explodes

Now that I can't argue with. It does have such an air of suspense compared with the rest of them. A quality finish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement