Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gamecube, what was it like?

Options
  • 22-12-2009 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

The only thing I remember about it were those bloody bongos.
    Played them a few times in Smyths when they were first out. :P

What was it like as a console though? Good selection of games?

Overall opinions on it? One to avoid or is it worth getting cheap?

Edit - Move this to the Nintendo forum if you like.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It spawned the Metroid Prime series.

It brought us Resi 4

It spawned the Super Monkey Ball franchise.

It had some massive JRPGs on it that were nothing short of fantastic

If you can get one cheap, pick it up. Or better yet, if you have a Wii, grab some Gamecube controllers and some Gamebcube games on the cheap. Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's one for sale (at least there was yesterday) in Xtra-Vision's new shop in the Square, Tallaght with Wind Waker for €30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

The gamecube was a great console. A friend bought one at release and brought it over to another friends house one night. Super smash bros melee made me go out and buy a cube the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Wind Waker was an awesome game for it. And pikmin iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭GLUEY

Super Smash Bros Melee FTW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I loved playing my gameboy games on the big screen :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Gamecube had a few classics, and little else imo. Zelda, Resi 4, smash bros. eternal darkness, can't even think of any more right now. But they were great to be fair.

The controller on the other hand remains my least favourite ever. Symmetry, or something close, just works. The wii classic controller is so much better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

rocked socks. eternal darkness :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

The GC was the console that got me back into gaming, with Resi 4 and Wind Waker (I then retrospectively played Zelda OoT) ....also Mario Kart Wii; Resi REmake was lots of fun...Didn't like Zero too much, Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion wasn't my cup of tea...

Any idea where I could pick up Eternal Darkness? Dying to play that one :) Just got Four Swords Adventures :)

I was never a big fan of Brawl or Metroid. Anyone play Viewtiful Joe?

All in all it was a decent console but nothing compared to the broad and depth of games available for the juggernaut known as the PS2, the best-selling console of all time (138 million)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Gamecube had a few classics, and little else imo. Zelda, Resi 4, smash bros. eternal darkness, can't even think of any more right now. But they were great to be fair.

The controller on the other hand remains my least favourite ever. Symmetry, or something close, just owrks. The wii classic controller is so much better.

yewot.

the GC controller was easily one of my fave controllers in recent time :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

3 words for you.....tales of symphonia best game on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

3 words for you.....tales of symphonia best game on it.

Agreed, cracking title. Loved Resi 4 as well but aside from that there wasn't much on the GC for me. Not a big fan of Zelda although the Wind Waker was good (Twilight Princess not so good). I also thought Metroid Prime was massively over hyped.

It did have one of the best controllers of all time though!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Vyse wrote: »
    Agreed, cracking title. Loved Resi 4 as well but aside from that there wasn't much on the GC for me. Not a big fan of Zelda although the Wind Waker was good (Twilight Princess not so good). I also thought Metroid Prime was massively over hyped.

It did have one of the best controllers of all time though!

I agree,other than tales of symphonia,zelda,mario kart and skies of arcadia I did'nt buy bother buying much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Ah it's a nice little console and worthy of anyones collection. They're cheap enough these days so definitely pick one up. Lots of great games mentioned here already, can't believe no one mentioned Pikmin yet! Definitely go for Smash Bros. Melee, great fun with 4 players, the Resi Evil series are great, Metroid Prime, Viewtiful Joe is good on it and apparently better than the PS2 version. F-Zero GX is great as is Super Mario Sunshine.

Four Swords made me skip 4 days of college to hook up my GBA with some mates, and have some of the best multiplayer fun i've ever had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Resident Evil Remake. Brilliant game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

It had the coolest ever controller - The Resident Evil Chainsaw controller! :D
    Limited edition, and hand painted, so each one had different blood splatters! :cool:
    415TNB4ZC0L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

still got my chainsaw sealed in its box. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I remember playing the resident evil remake on the gamecube, was amazed by the graphics. And it scared the crap out of me, one of my favourite resi games. Also resident evil 4 came out on that first and thats where it played it. Resident evil Zero too.
    Those are the only games i really played on it. Wanted to play eternal darkness but i could never find it.

it really didnt have a great selection at all compared to the ps2 or the xbox

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Loved the Gamecube very very much,

Eternal Darkness
    Resi 1,0 and 4
    Super Smash Bros. Melee
    Super Mario Sunshine

Metroid coming back, Zelda's first foray into cell shading, killer 7, Viewtiful Joe so much trying to think of what I really loved is hard.

PIKMIN, so good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Spunge wrote: »

It didn't have as many games as them, but it had the same amount of utterly essential releases (if not more)
    Metroid Prime
    Viewtiful Joe
    Resi 4 (It was easily the definitive version before the Wii version came out)
    Wind Waker
    REmake
    Resi 0
    Pikmin
    Eternal Darkness
    Smash Bros (had some of the best drunked fun ever with that one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

yewot.

the GC controller was easily one of my fave controllers in recent time :pac:

I found it was the most comfortable to hold but didn't care for the face-button configuration.
    Spunge wrote: »

Agreed. It did have a small number of exclusive titles that appealed to a subset of the market.

Super Monkey Ball was great and took a while to come to other platforms.

Viewtiful Joe and Resi 4 were available on PS2 within a year of their GC release.

Fnz wrote: »
    I found it was the most comfortable to hold but didn't care for the face-button configuration.

Agreed. It did have a small number of exclusive titles that appealed to a subset of the market.

Super Monkey Ball was great and took a while to come to other platforms.

Viewtiful Joe and Resi 4 were available on PS2 within a year of their GC release.

both sound and texture-wise, VJ, SMB and Resi 4 were vastly superior on the GC. i had both consoles, the GC always got more play.

The GC had F-Zero GX, awesome awesome game....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Recently picked one up with 2 controllers and 2 memory cards for €25. Not got any games as of yet though. Still undecided as to whether to mod it, keep it as is or just sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

The gamecube controller was the pinnacle of design as far as i am concerned, extremely comfortable in your hands even after hours of play and good button configuration it was sublime.

For me i will always think of the amount of time I spent playing Soul Calibur 2 on my gamecube, I got it for Christmas a few years ago and it made me feel like a child again, there i was a twenty something year old grown man spending all of christmas day in my dressing gown glued to the console all day with the same pure joy as when you were twelve playing the SNES/Megadrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Maguined wrote: »
    The gamecube controller was the pinnacle of design as far as i am concerned, extremely comfortable in your hands even after hours of play and good button configuration it was sublime.

Gotta agree with this. The gamecube is a gem, highly underrated. The pad is amazing. The highlights for me were the Metroid Prime series, Resident Evil 4 and Viewtiful Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I got really into the gamecube controller although I don't really like the "roughness" of the left analogue stick...I suppose it was to maintain non-slippage. The buttons surrounding the A-button is a tad weird, but I really got proficient using it in Resi and Wind Waker. The trigger buttons are a bit huge and weird shaped to me for some reason. I prefer the layout and handling of the 360 controller but I'm quite comfortable with this one and prefer it to the N64 and maybe the PS controllers (I might just be too rusty at them)

I always found that the "A button" is most important and all the other buttons are it's bit**es to be quite funny.

51CdKCZnG3L._SL500_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

both sound and texture-wise, VJ, SMB and Resi 4 were vastly superior on the GC. i had both consoles, the GC always got more play.

Tsk, Nintendo owners... it's always about the graphics with you lot. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Still he is right. The graphical difference between the gamecube and PS2 versions of Resi 4 is huge with tonnes of detail, texture quality, geometry, shadow and atmospheric effects missing from the PS2 version.It kind of takes away from the game a lot. The Gamecube was a remarkably powerful machine and still on other console other than the Wii can do volumetrically lit fur effects as well.

The GC couldn't match the PS2 for the sheer amount and variety of games that came to it but it was a brilliant second console due to the amount of essential games on it. You really were missing out if you didn't have one.

F-zero GX (best arcade racer ever)
    Mario Kart Double Dash (underrated imo, the powersliding was better and it kept everyone up all night after my 21st party :) )
    Fire Emblem ( excellent SRPG)
    Mario Sunshine (flawed but no less brilliant mario game)
    Resi 4
    Resi remake and zero (remake in particular is fantastic)
    Soul Calibur 2 (by far the best version)
    Baten Kaitos and BK Origins (two excellent card based RPGs)
    Tales of Symphonia (wonderful RPG, arguably the best in the series)
    Paper Mario 2
    Pikmin 1 and 2 (we really need a sequel nintendo!)
    Donkey kong jungle beat (very underrated bongo controlled platformer)
    Wind Waker
    Zelda Four Swords Adventure (great singleplayer but if you can play it in multiplayer do so since it's even better)
    Smash Bros. Melee
    Metroid Prime 1 and 2
    Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 (again the best versions)
    Eternal Darkness (thought it was a crap game with great story but some people love it)
    Monkeyball
    Skies of Arcadia Legends
    Ikaruga
    Chibi Robo (Brilliant heartwarming game full of charm and like nothing else)
    Harvest Moon: It's a wonderful life (one of the best in the series)
    Battalion Wars
    1080 Avalanche (great but no SSX)

• Advertisement

oh jesus yeah, i forgot about Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door..... that game blew my mind. The humour, the gameplay.... I've never had so much fun playing a console.

Cant remember how many times i played it through...

EDIT: Screw this, I'm getting my GC games out of the attic.

Advertisement