Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP - Fixing errors on startup

• 22-12-2009 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

My laptop with Win XP has started going exceedingly slow. I decided to "Check the volume for errors". This told me it would then complete the job on next startup. When I next started up a lot of error messages started to display on a blue screen background with the windows logo at the top. I started receiving messages such as "Windows replaced bad clusters in file 102298".

For the first few hours gradually more of these messages have appeared. Today however the message has not changed. I have had the computer on for over 24 hours of which at least 5 hours the screen has not changed.

Anyone know what I should do? Should I try shut it down and try run the repair boot disk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Alearner

If you have any important data not backed up. That could be a priority. Secondly I suggest that no error messages can be trusted absolutely. If malware has triggered off or caused this message than a certain amount of harm has been done.

Rebooting to scan with a Linux based antivirus boot disk might make some sense.

After that, using a repair option might make sense. Remember, that if you have malware on board, then any repair moves could allow the malware to cause more problems.

A boot disk could be made to scan the hard disk for read / write error. (This could be Linux based. I did it a few days ago myself.)

After that, if you have no backup needed, then you could run sfc, if you had a relevant system disk to hand.

If not, then consider restoring the laptop to factory defaults. THIS WOULD WOULD WIPE OUT ALL DATA AND PROGRAMS ADDED SINCE THE COMPUTER WAS BOUGHT.

Advertisement