Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network access for the telly

Options
  • 22-12-2009 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

First time post in net and comms.

I have a new telly, and it has an ethernet port.

I don't want to run cable, and as I have two BT Voyager 2100 wireless routers,
    I just spent the last half our fooling around, and got a connection of sorts for the tv, but there was an ip conflict and naturally all connected experienced slow surfing.

Does anyone here know about how to configure this router for this type of work? the help file is pretty light.

I torn down security and added the second routers mac to the 'Repeater' page on router1. I'm thinking there is more to it than that?

Cheers
    TS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Check out a thread I have just added about creating a stable network. You need to register every device mac and ip in the wireless section and in the lan/ip section (for wired ethernet) to prevent ip conflicts. You should be able to find all the settings by logging into your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

T-Square wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

First time post in net and comms.

I have a new telly, and it has an ethernet port.

I don't want to run cable, and as I have two BT Voyager 2100 wireless routers,
    I just spent the last half our fooling around, and got a connection of sorts for the tv, but there was an ip conflict and naturally all connected experienced slow surfing.

Does anyone here know about how to configure this router for this type of work? the help file is pretty light.

I torn down security and added the second routers mac to the 'Repeater' page on router1. I'm thinking there is more to it than that?

Cheers
    TS

I'd save yourself the hassle and put in a wired connection. It will be a million times faster and far more stable. Or if you really can't, maybe a PowerLine Ethernet link.

I wouldn't go wireless as you'll be streaming video / music I would presume. And forget HD over wireless unless your N with every device in your house. Ethernet (Wired) will handle HD even at 10 / 100 MBs. So AVOID wireless like the plague :)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

ashleey wrote: »
    Check out a thread I have just added about creating a stable network. You need to register every device mac and ip in the wireless section and in the lan/ip section (for wired ethernet) to prevent ip conflicts. You should be able to find all the settings by logging into your router.

To be fair, your post here and the one you mention but don't link to are both a bit vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

It is about the potential conflicts that can arise in your home network if you use wireless and various devices. The network will drop down to the speed of the lowest standard device. Thus if you use an ipod touch in your house,the network will drop to 802.11g which is 56mbs. This wouldn't be ideal for streaming TV. Not to mention radio flatspots and interference from microwaves or cordless phones etc.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055780106

Also, unless you have a dual channel router, that 56mbs will be shared between all the connected devices on a sort of turn by turn basis. That will lead to more video buffering.

Try a powerline system that basically sets up a wired ethernet network over your power cables. Plug the router into one adapter and the TV into the other. It is the same as plugging the TV directly into the router.

The earlier post was about pre registering all your devices with the router (MAC and IP addresses) to avoid conflicts.

Advertisement