Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores

Options
  • 22-12-2009 8:42pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Something I've noticed in the past and also today is Dunnes sly tactic of displaying the cheapest price display over items that are considerably more expensive. For example today I went to Dunnes to buy a pizza for dinner, The sign said "Dunnes pizza €2", bellow it a fair ammount of boxes of a stonebaked pizza but this one was from Goodfellas. I didn't cop this as the box is beigey colour and dunnes brand stuff is usually those kind of colour (I always thought goodfellas was in a green box). To the point anyways I ended up paying €3.49 for this pizza, which is a good bit of a rip off as its a standard peperoni pizza.
    Another time when in the same dunnes store I picked a colgate toothbrush as the price bellow the item on the shelf read €2.19 or something simular, when I came home it showed up the one I actually baught was for €4.70 appx. I never notice this issiue when shopping in Tesco, everything is priced properly whenever I've shopped there. Yes I know its my fault for not seeing the goodfellas logo but when you're in a shop shopping you can overglance the logo quite easily. I do honestly believe this is a sly tactic of Dunnes and also am aware of people also having issiues with Dunnes stores being stingy on clublcard vouchers this month (another thread).
    I do feel quite strongly about this, I could go and get a refund but theres little point now, I also am aware it is part my fault for not checking the item properly but it was advertised as dunnes stonebaked pizza and the goodfellas box bellow it said stonebaked pizza so it was quite easy to overlook the brand

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Not certain but I think this is the way it works.

A store can advertise a price of something anywhere it likes in the store, 'TV - €2' for example. The sign however must not lead to confusion. If there is more than 1 type of TV it must specify exactly which one it is 'Own Brand 23"'.

In both examples above I'm sure they were trying a fast one but they would have to have an adequate description of what the product was, its down to the consumer to read the sign in full rather than just glance at it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

ch750536 wrote: »
    Not certain but I think this is the way it works.

A store can advertise a price of something anywhere it likes in the store, 'TV - €2' for example. The sign however must not lead to confusion. If there is more than 1 type of TV it must specify exactly which one it is 'Own Brand 23"'.

In both examples above I'm sure they were trying a fast one but they would have to have an adequate description of what the product was, its down to the consumer to read the sign in full rather than just glance at it.

I agree, I wasn't saying what they are doing was breaking the law, however it is sly and of the other supermarkets I shop in (Aldi, Tesco) I have not come accross this, Centra sell goodfellas pizzas for over €3, I appreciate this as its a convenience store, Dunnes isn't, Hence I think its sly and also overpriced for goods, I'll be making the longer trip to Tesco for my shopping in future anyways :), It is also worth mentioning, there was quite a space between the €2 price sign and the others, It was not a case of confusion over a clutter of signs, if there was loads in the one spot, I would have probably spotted this!

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

"Invitation to treat" is what it's called. Maybe some fed up worker who didn't give a damn any longer put the sign in the wrong place or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'd say lazy / incompetent staff members was the issue here as opposed to Dunnes policy. However it is management or someone who should be checking this.

To be somewhat fair though given the number of items in any given supermarket I would think that there isn't a single supermarket in the country without an item with an incorrect price displayed under it. At least in tesco you get rewarded with a free item for noticing you have been ripped off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

yoyo wrote: »
    I do honestly believe this is a sly tactic of Dunnes and also am aware of people also having issiues with Dunnes stores being stingy on clublcard vouchers this month (another thread).

I think you need to step back an look at this for a minute. You bought an item that was NOT the one on the SEL sticker. You paid for exactly what you got. You were not mislead, ripped off, or anything like that. Dunnes can hardly be held responsible for someone not noticing the difference between a branded item and an own-brand one. They can't hold your hand while you're shopping.

Also, the club card voucher "issue" wasn't an issue at all. It was people's own lack of understanding of how it works. Nothing changed, and Dunnes were not being stingy, as you put it.
    I do feel quite strongly about this, I could go and get a refund but theres little point now,

You're not entitled to a refund, unless they miss-priced the pizza you actually bought.
    I also am aware it is part my fault for not checking the item properly but it was advertised as dunnes stonebaked pizza and the goodfellas box bellow it said stonebaked pizza so it was quite easy to overlook the brand

It was completely your own fault.

People need to open their eyes and take responsibility for their own actions. You can't fob responsibility for what you do off onto anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

jor el wrote: »
    It was completely your own fault.

People need to open their eyes and take responsibility for their own actions. You can't fob responsibility for what you do off onto anyone else.

That seems to be the cause of over 99% of complaints here on boards. People feel hard done by when they don't read the signs, notices, etc. They make assumptions and then claim foul.

People need to grow up, use their eyes, and take responsibility for their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm wide to this, but I think you are being harsh on the OP.

If there is a section of the supermarket with 'Acme Pizzas €2' signs strewn around this display and below it there are boxes of pizza, then its reasonable to assume that these are the pizzas that are €2.

I think the problem is that the staff are told that empty spaces are a no-no, so if the special offer in this section sells out quickly then its their job to prevent an empty space and so they load it with pizzas - but the sign remains.

If there is a section of the supermarket with 'Acme Pizzas €2' signs strewn around this display and below it there are boxes of pizza, then its reasonable to assume that these are the pizzas that are €2.

Personally speaking, if I saw a sign that said "Acme Pizza €2", then I'd look in the freezer for "Acme Pizza", I wouldn't look for "Otherbrand Pizza", and assume that it is €2.

I know English is a hard language, but it always helps when you read what is being advertised, and read the label on what you are buying.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

jor el wrote: »

Of course you can. This is the internet age and folk can go onto Jooeeee Duffffyyyy and get a sympathetic ride all because they don't actually look at what they are buying.

We are now in the age where it's _always_ someone else's fault.

Filled you petrol car with diesel ? Garages fault that they didn't have flashing lights telling you you had chosen diesel.

Dazzled ? Garages fault because they had flashing lights telling you that you had chosen diesel.

Bought a Pierre Ponelle Chablis for 19.99 ? Dunnes' fault because they had a sign up saying Pierre Ponelle Beaujolais was 8.99 .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Dunnes clubcard vouchers promised exactly what they said on the tin- 1% back. Instead of 25% back promotions (which causes havoc, because everyone read it as 25% OFF), they slashed prices instead. Most would prefer the latter.

• Advertisement

Some of the posts here are interesting indeed. Since when did I say in my post they were breaking the law? I also shop in two other supermarkets (Tesco & Aldi) and I never noticed this problem in those two shops. Yes I know that the goodfellas pizza price was possibly at another location in the freezers, But I saw the large €2 dunnes stonebaked pizza and bellow it were a bunch of these goodfellas ones. So from glancing I had reason to believe they were in the right location. I've noticed this numerous times with dunnes before, not just this instance.
    Personally speaking, if I saw a sign that said "Acme Pizza €2", then I'd look in the freezer for "Acme Pizza", I wouldn't look for "Otherbrand Pizza", and assume that it is €2.

I know English is a hard language, but it always helps when you read what is being advertised, and read the label on what you are buying.
    So when you are shopping you always spot if a item is in the wrong place? If you are in a busy shop its easy to oversee this, I agree if I had looked more I could have spotted it, but didnt, as it was obviously in the €2 dunnes pizza fridge alone.
    I'd say lazy / incompetent staff members was the issue here as opposed to Dunnes policy. However it is management or someone who should be checking this.
    Well if the incompetence of the staff is the case Dunnes should possibly do a bit more training them, obviously Tesco and Aldi do..

Nick

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

LOL - Tesco staff hardly seem to know the difference between beer & wine :

http://blog.despod.com/2009/08/wow-tesco-thinks-wine-is-beer-fail.html

Seriously though what you have to look out for is items advertised on teh SEL at one price but scanning at a higher price - Tesco is a master at that particular black art.

So when you are shopping you always spot if a item is in the wrong place? If you are in a busy shop its easy to oversee this, I agree if I had looked more I could have spotted it, but didnt, as it was obviously in the €2 dunnes pizza fridge alone.

After seeing enough threads here of people saying (claiming) that they were ripped off by false signs, etc, I tend to look at the item, and then find the price tag that says X item, Y Brand, for Z price.

Again, when it says "Acme pizza", I look for Acme pizza and not "Otherbrand pizza".

parsi wrote: »
    LOL - Tesco staff hardly seem to know the difference between beer & wine :

http://blog.despod.com/2009/08/wow-tesco-thinks-wine-is-beer-fail.html

Seriously though what you have to look out for is items advertised on teh SEL at one price but scanning at a higher price - Tesco is a master at that particular black art.

Well if the price label bellow each bottle of wine is the actual label for that bottle I dont see how its that relevent what the sign says! Funny though!
    After seeing enough threads here of people saying (claiming) that they were ripped off by false signs, etc, I tend to look at the item, and then find the price tag that says X item, Y Brand, for Z price.

Again, when it says "Acme pizza", I look for Acme pizza and not "Otherbrand pizza".
    This post was intended at a warning to people that Dunnes could be doing this deliberately, If you are buying 20-30 items in a shop lets say, can you really spent that much time to look at each item though, mentally once one or two things click I would think the sign at the item is for it once it appears to be simular, I totally overlooked the goodfellas logo in this instance. Was even more sneaky with the toothbrush as theres so many different "models"

Nick

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I get that this is not a ripoff. But I do agree with the op, that this may be a kind of stealth thing by the supermarkets, in that they benefit because harried, rushed customers dont pay attention. And believe me, loads of people dont in a supermarket. The layouts and p.o.s. is a proper science to these guys, nothing ends up on a shelf by accident, all layouts are well planned to maximise sales. I dont think its unfounded cynicism to say that these signs could be placed to mislead.

I see it all the time in my local tesco. Such-and-such a brand of 800g mayonaise is on offer, with sign indicating so, in front of a shelf of mayonaise. But the stock actually with the sign is of a different brand or packet size, and thus, is not on offer. Not a rip off, technically, but I bet it catches dozens of people who are in a rush or not paying attention. The op is just warning people that they must pay attention to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Stores do have a legal obligation to price items correctly and ensure that the correct labelling is present. This is completely separate from the issue of "invitation to treat".

If you believe that a store is persistently mispricing and misleading customers, then you can lodge a complaint with the National Consumer Agency.

parsi wrote: »
    Of course you can. This is the internet age and folk can go onto Jooeeee Duffffyyyy and get a sympathetic ride all because they don't actually look at what they are buying.

We are now in the age where it's _always_ someone else's fault.

Filled you petrol car with diesel ? Garages fault that they didn't have flashing lights telling you you had chosen diesel.

Dazzled ? Garages fault because they had flashing lights telling you that you had chosen diesel.

Bought a Pierre Ponelle Chablis for 19.99 ? Dunnes' fault because they had a sign up saying Pierre Ponelle Beaujolais was 8.99 .

I got 8 cans in a supermarket a few days ago for free. I was "overcharged" by about a euro and apparently "store policy" is to give a full refund and you get to keep the gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I got 8 cans in a supermarket a few days ago for free. I was "overcharged" by about a euro and apparently "store policy" is to give a full refund and you get to keep the gear.

Good old tesco , you should have went back the next day to avail of same offer as in my experience it takes at least 2 or 3 customers to get them to change the SEL

calex71 wrote: »
    Good old tesco , you should have went back the next day to avail of same offer as in my experience it takes at least 2 or 3 customers to get them to change the SEL
    I didn't say it was Tesco. The chap took the wrong price label anyway and stapled it to the original reciept as well as the refund reciept.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

I've had the same issue sometimes when buying oil for my car at the petrol station. So now what I do to be sure is to check the last 3 digits of the barcode on the price sticker and on the actual product and if they don't match then you're not getting what you meant to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 peterwhilluk

To whom it may concern,
    I recently purchased some groceries from your store in Killarney.Included in my purchases were a double lasagne, which had hardly any trace of meat in it, and a pack of 10 or so meatballs, which were so tasteless, and made of the cheapest mince possible, i was sick 30 minutes after consuming them.
    It the first time i have shopped in your store, and it has totally put me off making any further meat purchases in the future.

Obviously, profiteering comes before quality with your produce.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭JohnC.

You may as well be telling that to the ducks on a pond as posting it here. This isn't Dunnes Customer Service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

To whom it may concern,
    I recently purchased some groceries from your store in Killarney.Included in my purchases were a double lasagne, which had hardly any trace of meat in it, and a pack of 10 or so meatballs, which were so tasteless, and made of the cheapest mince possible, i was sick 30 minutes after consuming them.
    It the first time i have shopped in your store, and it has totally put me off making any further meat purchases in the future.

Obviously, profiteering comes before quality with your produce.

Thank you

So wait what brand was the Lasagna? To say you will never shop there again because of a couple of dodgy products is ludicrous. They are supermarkets and tend to have many horrible tasting products or cheaply made products especially if it was factory made crap. Now if you bought it from the butchers section then you should complain. But if you didn't like a brand write to the company who owns the brand.

These threads are ridiculous. There will always be someone complaining about Dunnes, or Tesco or Aldi or Lidl or whoever. What it boils down to is each to their own. If you are looking for prefection you wont get it in any supermarket. Tis the way of the world.

Merry Christmas all.

If you're going to write a letter of complaint, then make sure to write it correctly, with an appropriate level of content. Do not make it personal or subjective. Informing someone that you were sick due to their meatballs is pointless (it could have also been due to the 10 pints you consumer earlier).

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭MadMickeyMonk

Can anyone tell me why dunnes stores has stopped stocking 1Lb bags of suicra sugar? None in any dunnes in Galway for over 2 months now :D

Can anyone tell me why dunnes stores has stopped stocking 1Lb bags of suicra sugar? None in any dunnes in Galway for over 2 months now :D

I think the only people who can answer that are Dunnes themselves. Ask customer service at the store or get in touch with HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The brand no longer exists thats why!

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭MadMickeyMonk

The brand no longer exists thats why!

MC

Suicra brand does still exist and is stocked in other supermarkets,cash & carrys and local shops, just not in dunnes stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Suicra brand does still exist and is stocked in other supermarkets,cash & carrys and local shops, just not in dunnes stores.

The Brand now belongs to Nordzucker in Germany and is imported nowadays. Maybe Dunnes don't have an agreement with Nordzucker to stock Siucra anymore. Who knows. Sugar hasn't been made here in a long time and chances are most European sugars come from the same place anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I never notice this issiue when shopping in Tesco,
    I notice it in my local tesco, I often have to resort to actually comparing the barcode digits to find out if its the correct item. I would certainly be checking the brand, but did get caught a while back.
    rubadub wrote: »
    I got stung in tesco, they had birds eye southern fried chicken fillets on offer a 2 pack for €1.30. They had southern fried and plain breaded chicken, both the same range, same size, weight etc- so I wrongly presumed they were the same price. They were in the same section together and there was no price up indicating what the plain ones were.

I should have checked the labels more but I was stung in the end, since I got 4 southern and 1 plain packet but the girl rang them up as 3 southern 2 plain. Only noticed later and couldnt be arsed going back. €2.69 for the plain ones :mad:
    In that case they did not have the other price about, but even if they did they were in the wrong as they charged for the wrong ones, but yes I should check receipt too. Doesn't bother me too much, I have taken full advantage of their full refund policy for wrongly priced goods in the past, had a freezer with a shoal of free fish in it one time!

However I have never had trouble returning any items in tesco, I remember meeting a friend in tesco who was returning beer after finding it cheaper in the offie next door, and told them so, got refunded no problem.

Advertisement