Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I always thought that each item on the shelves should have their own price sticker next to or underneath it and having the price label for one item under another dearer similar item was not allowed as would lead to confusion especially if the two items were in similar packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭JohnC.

You would be surprised at how often customers move stuff around. It's not always the shops fault.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Kahless wrote: »
    You would be surprised at how often customers move stuff around. It's not always the shops fault.

There were 30-40 boxes of this pizza on the display, doubt the customer moved any!
    I always thought that each item on the shelves should have their own price sticker next to or underneath it and having the price label for one item under another dearer similar item was not allowed as would lead to confusion especially if the two items were in similar packaging.
    I would have thought so too but clearly thats not the case!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Kahless wrote: »

Wouldn't really apply to grocery. Bit of a problem in clothing though, when customers move full price stuff into sale areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Wouldn't really apply to grocery. Bit of a problem in clothing though, when customers move full price stuff into sale areas.

It certainly does apply to grocery. I have to deal with it often enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

What's wrong with people? Can't read, afraid to ask the price of something.... All sounds a bit stupid really but then again once you understand that people are subconsciously stupid it all makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

You picked up the wrong pizza. You then went to the check-out where it flashed up 3.29 instead of 2 (because you picked up the wrong one). You then paid the money and got a receipt in the supermarket.

Ok, there are at least 3 opportunities there where you could have stopped the madness!!!

Ive never had this awareness problem. In tesco a few weeks ago I scanned a Pantene conditioner (which I though was half price) and it popped up full price. I said it to the girl. The girl checked. Apparently the special was some other size of it or something (I could have sworn it was the 200ml). She unscanned the product. I left it. There you go! I always have my eye on the checkout price display thing when products are going through and I scan the receipt again while slowly wheeling trolley away.

in regards SELs, I worked in a supermarket a few years ago when I was a young wan stacking the shelves and honestly its 99% the overworked-underpaid workers fault. If a price is wrong on the shelf, it is up to the overworked-underpaid worked to report it so a new SEL can be made but more often than not it doesnt get done. We used to get given out to loads because of this.

But it wasnt the SEL or display that confused you, it was yourself ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

dellas1979 wrote: »
    You picked up the wrong pizza. You then went to the check-out where it flashed up 3.29 instead of 2 (because you picked up the wrong one). You then paid the money and got a receipt in the supermarket.

Ok, there are at least 3 opportunities there where you could have stopped the madness!!!

Ive never had this awareness problem. In tesco a few weeks ago I scanned a Pantene conditioner (which I though was half price) and it popped up full price. I said it to the girl. The girl checked. Apparently the special was some other size of it or something (I could have sworn it was the 200ml). She unscanned the product. I left it. There you go! I always have my eye on the checkout price display thing when products are going through and I scan the receipt again while slowly wheeling trolley away.

in regards SELs, I worked in a supermarket a few years ago when I was a young wan stacking the shelves and honestly its 99% the overworked-underpaid workers fault. If a price is wrong on the shelf, it is up to the overworked-underpaid worked to report it so a new SEL can be made but more often than not it doesnt get done. We used to get given out to loads because of this.

I generally start packing and don't notice the price flashing on the screen as a item is scanning, I also pay by laser so don't notice the price while instore (In a crowded shop it isnt really possible to hold up others checking your receipt before leaving), so generally people don't do it, it wasnt just this time, I've noticed it multiple times in this store, and yes believe it or not it is easily possible not to spot items in wrong places when shopping, this wasnt a case of a same product of a different size, it was a totally different product (A goodfellas pizza as distinct from a Dunnes one) however these pizzas were all in there own freezer with just a large sign "Dunnes pizza €2" as I mentioned earlier

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

I know where you are coming from...i too feel that it is a deliberate tactic to confuse consumers.

It has happened me many times in Dunnes but i always make sure to match the exact product down to the ml on the label - you wouldn't believe how many times i realise that it's a slightly different product stacked under the huge €2 sign.

I always scan my receipt as i am leaving the store and if i see anything that i thought was on offer i just get a refund from the customer service desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dellas1979 wrote: »

you are in the supermarket and pick up a certain size of product say a 200ml conditioner and the shelf edge label below several hundred of these bottles says 99cent and you go to checkout where it scans in at €4,99 and you are packing your bags so dont notice. the price of 99cent most likely applies to another product that is out of stock and very conveniently staff and management allow a far more expensive almost identical product be put in the same place without the SEL being replaced!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Ah see - this is my savvyness and where it comes from - as said above I used to work in a supermarket and know that the prices are not always correct (We never heard of a plot of scamming customers or were told to confuse customers - it just happens unfortunately in a supermarket where there are 1000s of products - it shouldnt happen, but it does). One day my manager came down to me and ate the face off me as there were 70 SELs wrong on the lane I worked. 70. I kid you not.

If I pick up things with a special offer, I will arrange them on the belt so that I can see that they scan through ok, and also that they are all together on the receipt so that I can scan it quickly after paying. No hold up to the other customer. But I also dont have a problem querying something or holding up another customer - tis my money - im sure theyd feel the same way :).

Ok, fair enough if you bought the pizza and it was the wrong price, but it wasnt. As another poster said, supermarkets often fill in spaces with other brands - again maybe they shouldnt, but they do. The customer has to have some awareness where the supermarket fails.

Advertisement