Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Shepard Puppy Trouble.Help Needed

Options
  • 22-12-2009 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi All,

I got a German Shepard pup last week, she is 10 weeks old. when she came she had been eating puppy nuts and drinkin milk with some hot water...so i followed suit. Over the past week because of my job she gets to walk alot...atleast a couple of miles a day...she never tires and is very good.

I have begun training her to sit,come,fetch etc and she is very clever. I have been using cold polish sausage that you get in LidL for treats(diced up).

My problem is she isnt a big eater...you can see her ribs and her tomach is very small.I feel for the amount of exercise she gets she should have a big appetite but she only picks at dry food.I dont have much experience of portions but am I just expecting her to eat more for no reason. one night i gave her a whole bowl of leftober pasta with tomatoe sauce and she mopped it.so i really can figure her out. 2 days ago I was really spending alot of time trying to train her and she had alot of sausage...since her stools have got softer eventully turning into diarrhea.

shes very active and playful and I dont want to brig her to the vet just to be told shes fine and then have the same worries when i take her home.

any advice?

thanks

ricky:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

You are walking her waaaaaaaaaay too much. The general rule is 5 minutes for every month of their life, so at 10 weeks, she should only be having about 10-15 minutes of exercise a day. Also, she shouldn't be going outside yet, as she can't have had her second lot of vaccinations until at least 10 weeks, and then you are supposed to wait a week or two before taking them out.

She may not appear to be tiring, but you could be damaging her joints for later life.

Puppies need lots of food and sleep. How often are you feeding her? She should still be on 4 small meals a day. If you are feeding her just once a day, she won't put any weight on because she will be unable to digest her food, it will be too much for her. Also, cows milk isn't good for dogs, she should be absolutely fine on her dog food, as long as its a good quality one. She may be turning into a fussy eater, the dog nuts probably aren't as exciting as the sausage and tomato and pasta. I'd try training her with her own food for now, otherwise she may decide she doesn't want to eat it, and would rather wait and get some human food:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ok...
    your pup is 10 weeks old! she does not need a couple of miles a day - that's far too much on a growing body. 5mins of a walk per month of age is the average. You'll do damage to her little bones if you walk her too far.

You should not feed her pasta &tomato sauce, and sausage like that.
    Sausage as a treat maybe yes. She should be eating her puppy nuts, 3/4 times a day, the food bag should have a chart on it that tells you how much to weigh out to give them depending on their age/weight.
    Her tummy won't be able for those kinds of food - imagine giving a baby lots of meat or curry or something, it'd run right through them. You also have to take away from her daily food the amount you give her in treats so you don't over feed her.

I suggest you stick to the puppy nuts 3/4 times a day for a while and her tummy should settle itself out. If she's still got runny poo, some plain boiled rice and dry chicken for a day or so(instead of puppyfood) might do the trick.
    You can play with her lots, but don't overwalk her. Don't give her too many treats (I think you should stop them for a day or two till her stomach settles) and try and stick to the puppy nuts for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Several points there:

A pups stomach is small, they need small feeds but more often. Feed the recommended amount of the puppy food over 4 -5 times a day.

Sausages (salty) and tomato sauce (spicey) aren't dog food, they certainly aren't puppy food and will only cause tummy upsets, stick to (the same) dog food please.

A young pup is no marathon runner, its bones and joints are still in development. Please stop these long walks immediately, you are doing long term damage there.

Take it easy on the training as well. Short, little lessons of 10 mins a few times a day is enough. After that the pup will just tire out and the training will turn to frustration.

Basically, you're dealing with a baby ...gingerly and moderately does it. Don't demand too much of her, give her a chance to play and most importantly, sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Hi All,

I got a German Shepard pup last week, she is 10 weeks old. when she came she had been eating puppy nuts and drinkin milk with some hot water...so i followed suit. Over the past week because of my job she gets to walk alot...atleast a couple of miles a day...she never tires and is very good.

I have begun training her to sit,come,fetch etc and she is very clever. I have been using cold polish sausage that you get in LidL for treats(diced up).

My problem is she isnt a big eater...you can see her ribs and her tomach is very small.I feel for the amount of exercise she gets she should have a big appetite but she only picks at dry food.I dont have much experience of portions but am I just expecting her to eat more for no reason. one night i gave her a whole bowl of leftober pasta with tomatoe sauce and she mopped it.so i really can figure her out. 2 days ago I was really spending alot of time trying to train her and she had alot of sausage...since her stools have got softer eventully turning into diarrhea.

shes very active and playful and I dont want to brig her to the vet just to be told shes fine and then have the same worries when i take her home.

any advice?

thanks

ricky:confused:

First off, is your pup fully vacinated as this doesn't usually happen until 12 weeks, if so your pup shouldn't be out where she can pick up canine diseases. Secondly you are giving your pup too much excerise, he should only be getting 15 minutes max at the moment if he is fully vacinated. Pups of 10 weeks old should be getting fed 3 small meals a day, my Rottie pup (5 months) gets 13 fists of nuts a day broke up into 3 meals, I mix a small bit of puppy canned food warmed in the microwave with the nuts just to make it a bit more exciting. I'd lay off the milk and don't go changing the food from nuts to 'human' food as this will give him an upset stomach

lrushe wrote: »
    First off, is your pup fully vaccinated as this doesn't usually happen until 12 weeks, if so your pup shouldn't be out where she can pick up canine diseases.
    +1 I'd forgotten about that, although some pups get their final vacc's at 10 ish weeks, usually its a week or two after final vaccinations that you're allowed to bring them out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 mellickricky

God Thanks,

Such quick reply s....all advice is consistent so I will be taking it all on board immediately.

Re: walking and feeding im really sorry and embarrassed, I thought I was doing the right thing.

Il take it easy on her. Il take her off food until she poos and go from there.i suppose you cant beat experience.

Thanks again everybody I will let you know her progress in a few weeks.

Happy Christmas.:)

Best of luck with her Mellickricky, I hope it doesn't come across as lecturing you, well done for coming on and asking advice, if you don't ask, you don't learn:) We were all first time dog owners once, I have learnt so much over the last few years, and am still learning every day.

Would love to see some pics of the pup please, GSD pups are very cute, usually huge big ears that they have yet to grow into.:D

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Awww too cute!!:D She doesn't look too thin either, a good way to gauge her weight as every dog is different is you shouldn't be able to see her ribs but should be able to feel them if you run your hands firmly over them, also if you look down on her from above she should have a clear waist. Its wise to keep big breed pups lean while growing to avoid excessive pressure on their delicate joints. Best of luck, she's a beaut!

Awwww, she's gorgeous. Looks like butter wouldn't melt;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

Shes a beauty!:)

I am a first time GSD owner myself (almost 17 weeks old now). They are a pleasure and a joy to have around! I am hoping my girl grows into her ears as ISDW said because they are huge (and fab I might add!)

Best of luck with all the excellent advice you've received. Let us know how you get on! Would love to see more pics as she grows!

B

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

It's normal, i have had loads of pets, most fostered until we find them homes and some i've kept.

i now to have a German Sheppard crossed with Collie puppy she's about the same ages as yours and you can see the ribs, it's perfectly normal.

they lose their puppy fat and start to grow in hight, once she stops growing she will put on weigh.

You not walking her to much, she will stop and let you know when she's had enough.

Do fed her on dry food though its the best food you can give a dog, follow instructions on the one you buy, I normally wet their food until they are about 6 months old, not mushy, just a bit to soften it up.

http://www.suitable-puppies.com/taking-care-of-a-puppy.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Santrypad

Hi, Am not really saying anything that hasnt been said before but yeah they walks were a bit much.

We have a gsd he is about 6 months now, when we got him he was very thin,underweight and undernourished but really came on after a few weeks.

We feed him 3 times a day and maybe 2 to 3 cans a time with a little mixer sometimes its gone sometimes its not but we just refresh it at feeding time, but like yours he was very fussy with the food although seems to have settled now, he gets treats during the week too as in boiled chicken, mince meat etc and to look at him now would never think he was as skinny as he was so with regular feeding she will fill out.

I think these grow in size first and then fill out or stock up if someone could confirm?

She is a beaut, just wait till the ears stand up.....beautiful.

Good luck with her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

God Thanks,

Such quick reply s....all advice is consistent so I will be taking it all on board immediately.

Re: walking and feeding im really sorry and embarrassed, I thought I was doing the right thing.

Il take it easy on her. Il take her off food until she poos and go from there.i suppose you cant beat experience.

Thanks again everybody I will let you know her progress in a few weeks.

Happy Christmas.:)

Firstly, congratulations and PLEASE post a pic.

I have a 3 year old GSD bitch. To add to all the other excellent advice just by way of experience GSDs can have very 'dicey' digestive systems and mine, at least, is a VERY picky eater and like your pup from the get go she just never was and still isn't a very food motivated dog. She doesn't wolf down her food even now and if anything I would like her to gain some weight but vet says she is just fine.

Take all the great advice you have been given here and enjoy your new pup and post a pic PLEASE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

You are exercising your pup far to much.Over exercise can damage her hips.Knock the milk off aswell .Good luck with her im the proud owner /breeder of 6gsds have been involved in the breed since the 1960s.They are great dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

tudlytops wrote: »
    It's normal, i have had loads of pets, most fostered until we find them homes and some i've kept.

i now to have a German Sheppard crossed with Collie puppy she's about the same ages as yours and you can see the ribs, it's perfectly normal.

they lose their puppy fat and start to grow in hight, once she stops growing she will put on weigh.

You not walking her to much, she will stop and let you know when she's had enough.

Do fed her on dry food though its the best food you can give a dog, follow instructions on the one you buy, I normally wet their food until they are about 6 months old, not mushy, just a bit to soften it up.

http://www.suitable-puppies.com/taking-care-of-a-puppy.html

Sorry Tuddly, but they are walking the pup way too much. Young pups should only be getting 5 mins of exercise per month of age per day, so if its 4 months then its about 20 mins per day.
    Walking a pup miles and miles can be very detrimental to their growing bones and joints and large breeds should have restricted exercise until they are fully grown.
    So yes they are waling it too much at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry Tuddly, but they are walking the pup way too much. Young pups should only be getting 5 mins of exercise per month of age per day, so if its 4 months then its about 20 mins per day.
    Walking a pup miles and miles can be very detrimental to their growing bones and joints and large breeds should have restricted exercise until they are fully grown.
    So yes they are waling it too much at the moment.

I can only talk from experience and my Vet advice of the years.

I have had dogs, sick and healthy for the best part of 20 years. puppies and fully grown of many breeds and i have never had a dog that would not show you when he/she had enough.

I have allways follow my dogs lead and take it from then, and have never had a problem.

If you need info on German Shepherd, contact this people.
    http://www.gsaireland.com/

Hi Guys,

Heres molly about 2 weeks ago..she has gotten all her injections since and started puppy training..and between ourselves.....I think she might be the best in the class.

Since I got all your advice I changed her food to what the guy in the local agri/animal feeds place recommended and he gave out to me for feeding her the brand "x" which I wont mention.

she started eating 3 big bowls a day and was really filling out but since we got home from puppy training on Saturday shes back not eating...im stressed out again...we were giving the pups on sat hotdog sausage and cheese as their treats, the trainer said they were high value and I will admit she was very good(the trainer).

I think Molly might be holding out on me for more sausage? should I enter a face off with her and keep taking her food up until she eats again? Im really in bad form about it because shes been doing so good.

also Ive noticed one of her canines is really loose, shes 17 weeks, please tell me they loose pup teeth and get adult ones?

so stressful and rewarding...a true roller coaster.

thanks in advance

ricky

Gosh she's beautiful!! And congrats with the training

Regarding the food, yes I would (if she's perfectly healthy/not getting sick/has normal bowels etc) do the 'take up the food if she doesn't eat' thing again to get her to eat it.
    Mine got a bit fond of getting some chicken or turkey or beef over the Christmas period they were getting fussy again with their food, so I went back to no treats, only food for a few days and they've gotten the message again.

Oh and teeth do fall out - I nearly had a fit when Daisy lost her bottom two front teeth, they looked like they were at right angles to her gums! I tipped off them and one came out, she licked the other one and it got stuck to her nose!!

Actually, on that note that might be part of why she's a bit iffy over her food, if its dry (not moistened) it might be hurting her slightly to eat, so maybe no harm watching her eating and seeing if that's the problem.
    She'll get sore and possibly whiney if her teeth are hurting her and want to chew on everything. Things like ice cubes are good because they give them some relief.
    And watch out for the teeth, I caught Daisy playing with one of hers one day. Some you won't notice, they'll swallow them without knowing, but some you may find on the floor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Firstly - she's a little beauty, such a good looking dog (and from the sounds of it, a personality to match!)

Have read through the whole thread and am glad you are taking the advice to walk her less and also changing her food. If she is not a big foody it;s best to try to stick to the same food at all time because it can cause pickyness if she knows there is something better coming. Have you tried giving her some food kibble for treats when training - switching between the good stuff (meat and such) and her own food with each handful so that she doesn't know what is coming next - it will keep her attention and you can get a good bit of regular food into her without it being in meal form.

Also, perhaps at meal times moisten the food a bit with water (not until it is soggy but just to take the hardness out of it - leave a bit of crunch) - she will be more likely to eat it because it will smell nice and won't hurt her teeth. Also, leaving the food down for 15 minutes and then taking it up as opposed to free feeding (leaving it down all day) is the best way to get the message across that nothing better is coming. Try not to give her anything extra for the little while you are trying to get her to eat the regular food. After a day of two of a hungry belly she should eat her meals right up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Oh she is gorgeous OP, lovely straight back and all :)
    She's so cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

tudlytops wrote: »

sorry to go off topic but that is a gorgeous dog tudlytops. I have been searching through rescue sites looking for my next addition and I remember this dog! such a beauty. wish I had the time for a bigger dog at the minute. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hi Guys,

also Ive noticed one of her canines is really loose, shes 17 weeks, please tell me they loose pup teeth and get adult ones?

I was grossed out the first few times but you get used to it :D One evening i was sitting on the floor with my puppy and felt something sticking out of his vet bed... grabbed it quickly then looked in my hand - a tooth lol I thought I was going to puke!! Then one evening I was snoozing on the couch and he jumped up to say hello to me and spit a tooth onto me :rolleyes:

Ice cubes will help her and if you have puppy kongs you can fill them and freeze them to help sooth her too. We have a chain lead and our guy loves to chew on this to sooth his gums.

Our puppy is 6 months now so almost done with teething thank god. Unfortunately for us when his teething is bad and he's drooling all over the place he ends up swallowing loads of the saliva and getting an upset tummy and gets the runs :( but rice for a day or two clears it up.
    So OP, I'd advise you to get some rice in so you have it on standby just in case!!

heres "molly" now,shes eating away and my latest dilemma is where to hide the frisby....because if she sees it that means a mandatory hour in the garden:D

Thanks for everybody's help

some photos attached of MOL

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Soooo cute :o

Dogs are best friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Gorgeous, she looks alot like my fella at that age!!

IMG_0394.jpg?t=1267975925

IMG_0374.jpg?t=1267976013

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Morganna wrote: »
    You are exercising your pup far to much.Over exercise can damage her hips.Knock the milk off aswell .Good luck with her im the proud owner /breeder of 6gsds have been involved in the breed since the 1960s.They are great dogs.

I totally agree, I've always owned GSD's and you need to seriously cut back the mileage. The Shepperd have powerfully strong hips but it takes time for bone fusion and strengthening to take place. Don't stress her physically because she is very young. Walks should be very short, I never walked any of my dogs until they were at least 6 months old. I have female at the moment, she's 6.5 years old and when I got her she was a few pounds underweight, but nothing serious. You reminded me of myself because I nearly obssessd for awhile about her weight and development. Don't worry, just feed her good quality food and nature will take it's course. For the first year I worried about her growth, weight etc, but she turned out to be powerfully strong dog. Remember a dogs intake can be affected by the season, My dog eats like a horse in Autumn/Winter with a noticeable reduction during the summer. Just remenber growth takes time with big breeds, so she won't be fully grown for at least 2 years. Also, bringing a dog to a Vet is never a waste of time, if nothing else you'll get peace of mind.

Advertisement