Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icy roads/blackspots

Options
  • 22-12-2009 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

With all this bad weather I thought we could start a thread warning others about particularly bad icy spots on the roads. You never know, your information might just save a life! :D
    The carpark in Westside shopping centre is a bit slippy in spots (that was at 2/3pm earlier). B&Q/Dunnes carpark was also v bad yesterday!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Good call.

Renmore is a joke, especially Murrough Avenue, around Ballyloughaun Stores, and the Army Barracks. A Bus Eireann city bus jacknifed going up the hill towards the barracks yeaterday morning. It hasn't been as bad today but its due to drop to -8 around the west tonight so be careful in the morning people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Dr. Mannix road is deadly, apparently a water pipe burst and it's now frozen.

Shantalla is is very bad too. Costello rd is fine but none of the streets or paths have been salted or gritted.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Around the Claddagh at the back of the church looked lethal last night... the hill behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

The Rosan Glas estate in Rahoon is like a mad ice rink, first time I've skidded over a speed bump :). Tis flippin icy out there again, car was showin -2.5c an hour ago, so be careful peeps - don't want to end up like the Merc in the Advertiser this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Has anyone come in from Moycullen to the city this morning, and if so, what's it like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Not pimping this site. But tis useful for such info:

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Hi there. How long should I allow for getting from Galway to Shannon? Are the roads really bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I've been a runner around the city for the past three days with work and i can tell you now parts of Renmore are bad. But Shantalla and Rahoon are fceked! I wouldn't even recommend walking around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Don't walk in Shantalla, the paths are lethal! It took me half an hour to walk into town earlier cause I was slipping all over the place.

The carpark in Dunnes in Westside was really bad this afternoon, I'm guessing it's still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

College road paths are a danger.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No paths were gritted by the corpo although I heard some Tirellan people drove into the corpo yard with a trailer and shovels, loaded up with salt , and did a load of Tirellan including paths yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Was just up in GUH visiting a friend, nursing staff said A+E are dealing with an awful lot of slips and falls and have kept Orthopaedic beds free for those badly hurt. Crazy. Skidded myself in my home estate, i was turning left but car was slipping downhill right..scary stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    No paths were gritted by the corpo

Its funny you say that because the city county building was absolutly layered with the stuff, in fact they put down so much that I didnt know it was grit, i thought it was heavy frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Resurrecting this thread again if that's okay, the road near where I live is slippy...it's the old Monivea Road from Briarhill Dunnes past Mc Greals onto the Ballybane roundabout...car slid off the road in 1st gear, 10 miles an hour on the way to Dunnes, turned around and came back. Maybe it's because we don't get much thawing sun, but please BE CAREFUL.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We went from Knocknacarra to the Eye Cinema and back before dark. There wasn't one road that wasn't really really slippy. The absolute worst was the unlit top of Rahoon road and Clybaun road. I was getting wheelspin in 3rd gear at 15mph.

Did nearly the whole journey in 4th gear at 20mph. Really thought it would be better in around town or I would have turned back home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Das Kitty wrote: »
    We went from Knocknacarra to the Eye Cinema and back before dark. There wasn't one road that wasn't really really slippy. The absolute worst was the unlit top of Rahoon road and Clybaun road. I was getting wheelspin in 3rd gear at 15mph.

Did nearly the whole journey in 4th gear at 20mph. Really thought it would be better in around town or I would have turned back home.

That's funny, I saw motorists speeding across the Quinncentary bridge without a care around 20:00

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's funny, I saw motorists speeding across the Quinncentary bridge without a care around 20:00

depends what you define speeding...
    the road wasn't that slippy imho. some people were crawling along at 25-30mph. you can actually quite comfortably do 45-50mph.
    the weathers not so bad. -1 at a stretch.

on christmas eve morning, i was driving home at 5:30 in the morning. it was -7 with frozen fog. now THATS weather to be cautious about.

ice road truckers (i think its on discovery)... great programme.

shows you what proper ice and tough driving is about. really entertaining too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

_ZeeK_ wrote: »
    depends what you define speeding...
    the road wasn't that slippy imho. some people were crawling along at 25-30mph. you can actually quite comfortably do 45-50mph.
    the weathers not so bad. -1 at a stretch.

on christmas eve morning, i was driving home at 5:30 in the morning. it was -7 with frozen fog. now THATS weather to be cautious about.

On that route, 31mph or more.

is quincintennial bridge not 50mph/80kmph?
    it has two lanes and everything..

some of these speed limits are silly.

if you go out to the cregmore road, which is a narrow and windy country road lined with residential dwellings and children playing in gardens, the (mph equivalent) speed limit is 60. thats a much more dangerous road.

• Advertisement

On that route, 31mph or more.

pedantic pat.
    in normal conditions, when do you ever see anyone doing below 40 on that road? 'tis lovely and straight and wide.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63630777 - aha, have duely note this discussion.

meh, as a person who enjoys the thrill of driving a good car on a good road, i could not bear drive that slowly when it is patently inappropriate and i shall be duely overtaking you any time i encounter you (just make sure you stay in the slow lane! :D)

OP, its was quite bad about Dangan area yesterday evening. most major routes, i.e. the dual carriageways are well enough used and gritted to keep grip levels good. I find housing estates are actually the worst because of the low traffic volumes on their roads and the council neglecting to grit them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Well I did pass there around 3 , 5 hours earlier and there was a thaw that evening, no one was going over 25 when I was there. Also the car ahead of me stopped at the lights had his wheels spinning as he tried to take off again, you could see the layer of ice on the road.

Advertisement