Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fuji natura 1600

• 22-12-2009 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

anyone here used it before? Its supposed to be much better than superia 1600 but its only sold in japan. Ive found it from 1 seller on ebay it Taiwan I think, but its something like 85euro for 9 rolls, wondering if it could be got cheaper.

as far as I know no shop here can order it from fuji.

interestingly it was formulated for a special japan only compact 35mm camera, well 2 models. one has a 24inch f1.9 lens! its very hard to find. the zoom lens version starts from 28mm f2.8 and goes to around 56mm f4, its 250-300euro new on ebay. Ive seen some online scans of the natura film and it looks excellent, grain looks like color 400 film.

the 24mm f1.9 camera is around 180g, it seems to be a better low light performer than any digital compact(used with the natura film)!

first I want to try the film, and some day I'd like to own the camera. anyone familiar with it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I think Lomography have scabbed up the rights to both the camera and film in the EU unfortunately. :-/

They do look great though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I think Lomography have scabbed up the rights to both the camera and film in the EU unfortunately. :-/

They do look great though.

theres nothing lomo about them tho! I hate that name

the zoom can still be got new but the 24mm is very rare it seems, 1 listed on ebay at around 500euro starting bid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Yeah I've coveted those 24mm natura cameras for some time. They're just stupidly expensive though. Nothing to do with lomo though, pure bred fuji. Check out their klasse cameras aswell, fuji have been quietly making these high end compacts for the last few years. Apparently they reckon the only significant market is japan.

The film is another matter. I actually gave my last roll to sinead in return for some fuji instant film. You'd be better off with Portra 800 pushed a stop I'd say, I wasn't too impressed with it. Fast fuji films don't seem to scan well on my coolscan for some reason.

theres nothing lomo about them tho! I hate that name

Unfortunately, Lomo is coming to stand for anything film. I've had my Hasselblad called a 'Lomo camera'. :-/

http://shop.lomography.com/cameras/fuji-natura-classica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

if you look up Fuji's website and the data sheets, they only make a limited amount of emulsions, I suspect strongly it is exactly the same as Superia 1600 ..

• Advertisement

Yeah I've coveted those 24mm natura cameras for some time. They're just stupidly expensive though. Nothing to do with lomo though, pure bred fuji. Check out their klasse cameras aswell, fuji have been quietly making these high end compacts for the last few years. Apparently they reckon the only significant market is japan.

The film is another matter. I actually gave my last roll to sinead in return for some fuji instant film. You'd be better off with Portra 800 pushed a stop I'd say, I wasn't too impressed with it. Fast fuji films don't seem to scan well on my coolscan for some reason.

just discovered them today, havent read anything about them yet but they sound good

I think japan likes to keep the best for themselves!

Simplicius wrote: »
    if you look up Fuji's website and the data sheets, they only make a limited amount of emulsions, I suspect strongly it is exactly the same as Superia 1600 ..

no its definitely not the same as superia 1600

Unfortunately, Lomo is coming to stand for anything film. I've had my Hasselblad called a 'Lomo camera'. :-/

it can be got new for 240euro from japan on ebay

this place seems has them sometimes http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/index.php?currency=EUR&cPath=45

actually they have the film here also
    http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=120

with the slow shipping I'd get it with no import tax as its 16.50 for 3 rolls of 24exp!

Gaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh ! Is nothing sacred ??!!????

• Advertisement

Nothing, unfortunately :(

Simplicius wrote: »

No it's definately a different film. It has a more sort of pastel rendition than superia 1600, and iirc the one roll that I shot the emulsion tags were different. Fuji actually do make films that are specific to japan, another one is fortia, an even more saturated slide film than velvia. You won't find that sold anywhere except japan, and reportedly only for the couple of months around the sakura season (when the cherry blossom falls)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

just discovered them today, havent read anything about them yet but they sound good

I think japan likes to keep the best for themselves!

The Klasse W is a great little camera, fixed lens and it's a 28mm so I'd never use it if I managed to buy one :(

Not a wide angle fan.

Ah, looks as though I was actually mistaken:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfuji/discuss/72157603715369392/

10th post down,
    I have made an enquiry about this issue to Fujifilm Headquater in Japan.

They say ...
    "Natura 1600 and Superia 1600 is identical. They started Natura brand film when they introduced Natura camera. Because these two brands from one identical film caused a lot of confusion, they took off Superia 1600 from Japanese market and left only Natura 1600."

So any differences are purely subjective :-)

duffarama wrote: »
    The Klasse W is a great little camera, fixed lens and it's a 28mm so I'd never use it if I managed to buy one :(

Not a wide angle fan.

I'm the opposite, it's only 28mm. Pfff. It'd have to get to at least 24mm before I'd consider buying it :-) Thats when stuff starts getting interesting. There's a big pile of boring focal lengths stretching from 45 down to 28 that I've never warmed to.

Thats what makes those Natura 24mm models so ... very ... tempting ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

There's a big pile of boring focal lengths stretching from 45 down to 28 that I've never warmed to...

Try using an 81D rolleye0012.gif

CabanSail wrote: »
    Try using an 81D rolleye0012.gif

:D

Just out of curiousity I started googling around for compact film cameras with <= 24mm lenses. Apart from the bottom of the barrel examples (Konica WAI WAI, Vivtar UWS and clones), I discovered that Ricoh actually made a GX with a 21mm lens. So I went and priced it. That was about 10 minutes ago. Now that my heartbeat has got back to normal ...

ONE THOUSAND POUNDS

... which seems, even in the rarefied world of high end compacts, a little bit pricey ...

Better off getting a 15mm Voigtlander for that tbh.

I'm the opposite, it's only 28mm. Pfff. It'd have to get to at least 24mm before I'd consider buying it :-) Thats when stuff starts getting interesting. There's a big pile of boring focal lengths stretching from 45 down to 28 that I've never warmed to.

I'm curiously a big fan of semi wide angle, so 35mm and 40mm, but really struggle with 45mm and 50mm and again in the other direction! 28mm I just can't get used to, however I do like 24mm.

:pac:

• Advertisement

Not really a compact then.

If you want a high end point and shoot though you could get a Contax G2 and 16mm hologon ;)

yeah, a 15mm or 21mm Cosina/Voigtlander and a Minolta CLE. Sweet :-) Still about half the price of the ricoh and only a little more bulky with the added advantage of a decent rangefinder.

(starts nervously rubbing sweaty hands together and browsing through EBay)

ricoh gr21s!

Just out of curiousity I started googling around for compact film cameras with <= 24mm lenses. Apart from the bottom of the barrel examples (Konica WAI WAI, Vivtar UWS and clones), I discovered that Ricoh actually made a GX with a 21mm lens. So I went and priced it. That was about 10 minutes ago. Now that my heartbeat has got back to normal ...

ONE THOUSAND POUNDS

... which seems, even in the rarefied world of high end compacts, a little bit pricey ...

the ricoh r1 has a 30mm lens but theres a pana option that adds 2 more internal elements into the lens grouping for 24mm f8 option, the top and bottom of the frame are then blocked out mechanically but u can easily modify this so as to have the full 24mm frame. its a nice option to have, theres some vignetting and edge softness but its only bad in certain situations. its also around 180g so nice and small. more affordable alternative than other pro compacts

I have a nikon af600 with 28mm f3.5 lens but Ive yet to run film thru it. they can be got for 30-60euro on ebay and what little info Ive found suggests its a very sharp lens, but its a plastic body. at the time it was the lightest 35mm compact available, 1993 I believe, 155g plus cr123a battery

its not very common so you wont find alot available on ebay, Ive seen 3 in the past few weeks, 1 is new in box

Advertisement