Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get a refund

Options
  • 22-12-2009 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

I purchased something for the wife from Tiffany in Brown Thomas. It now transpires that she thinks I overspent and wants the item returned (Strange one I know). I've tried to tell her that I won't get a refund as the there is nothing wrong with the item but "The Lady's not for turning". Is there any chance they'ss refund or will I just get a Credit note? If so will it be for BT or for Tiffany and BT?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

Depends entirely on their refund policy.

You're not entitled to a refund just because you changed your mind, it's at the discretion of BT's/Tiffany's.

Your best bet would be to call them or drop in and ask them what their policy is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Legally, you have no right to a refund. The best you can hope is a credit note. They may give a refund (unlikely), they may offer a credit note (likely) or they may refuse point blank.

It is purely down to shop policy.

Try going in when its quiet, seeking out a friendly cashier or manager and see what they say.

You may be surprised and then again you may not !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

A woman turning down Tiffany!! :eek:
    I'd say you will more than likely get a credit note.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Thanks all for the help. I fear a Credit note may be the best I can hope for.

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    A woman turning down Tiffany!! :eek:

I know :confused: It seems she thinks the item is not worth what was paid for it. Maybe it's a ruse to get me to use the credit note for multiple Tiffany Items :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

It seems she thinks the item is not worth what was paid for it

Which roughly translates to "You got the wrong thing now go back and return it and let me pick the next time :D

In fairness though I have heard people say that about Tiffany jewelery before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

They aren;t obligied to but I think if you have a reciept you'll get a refund (pretty sure I got one about a year ago). Usually states the T&C's on it (how and when you can return it). If you don't have a reciept they may still allow you to exchange but do it sooner rather than later as the item will probably come down in the sale.

A quick phone call should clarify

Little A wrote: »
    They aren;t obligied to but I think if you have a reciept you'll get a refund (pretty sure I got one about a year ago). Usually states the T&C's on it (how and when you can return it). If you don't have a reciept they may still allow you to exchange but do it sooner rather than later as the item will probably come down in the sale.

A quick phone call should clarify

Bought this afternoon at about 4.30 :) and refused this evening at about 8 :(. I might give them a call in the morning to see what the policy is.

The joys of being male. I thought I was doing what women like and putting some tought into a gift. Next time it's a voucher!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

TheBlock wrote: »
    Bought this afternoon at about 4.30 :) and refused this evening at about 8 :(. I might give them a call in the morning to see what the policy is.

The joys of being male. I thought I was doing what women like and putting some tought into a gift. Next time it's a voucher!!!

No need to call, you know what the policy is. They dont give refunds or credit notes.

A bit poor not to give a credit note but within their rights.

ch750536 wrote: »
    No need to call, you know what the policy is. They dont give refunds or credit notes.

A bit poor not to give a credit note but within their rights.

I'm looking at the back of the reciept now and the Exchange/Refund policy is stated as...

"We are happy to exchange or refund Merchandise if returned as sold within 14 days, with an original reciept. Refunds are issued to the original method of payment. A Gift Reciept is not an original reciept. Merchandise accompanied by a gift recipt may be exchanged within 14 Days"

Whats confusing me is who decides if I get a refund of or an exchange?? Is it up to me or the Store?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

BTs - you'll get your money back, no questions. I bought a pair of shoes back I had bought in the sales and they didn't bat an eyelid. Money back, no problem!
    As long as is hasn't been engraved, or earrings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Whats confusing me is who decides if I get a refund of or an exchange?? Is it up to me or the Store?
    You're of course free to ask for one, but it's their decision whether or not to offer one.

Result :D...Just back no problem at all as Olaola said (it was earings but they had no problem with them) Fair play to BT didn't even try to get me to take a credit note just handed me back the cash.

That's excellent.

Alot of other department stores don't extend their refund policy to jewellery.

Your wife is a silly billy though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I once bought a breakfast at Tiffanys. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

That's excellent.

Alot of other department stores don't extend their refund policy to jewellery.

Your wife is a silly billy though!

It depends on the type of jewellery. It would be dangerous to take back body jewellery or earrings that go through a piercing. And as for them being 'unworn', retailers can't take a customers word for it that they were unworn, as when it comes to refunds, customers lie all the time. Clip on earrings, necklaces, watches, etc. are a different matter. There really is no reason not to take them back.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

If I recall I think you kinda liked it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Result :D...Just back no problem at all as Olaola said (it was earings but they had no problem with them) Fair play to BT didn't even try to get me to take a credit note just handed me back the cash.

Fair play to Brown Thomas but......

What is stopping me buying jewelery for a night out and returning it the following morning...

Also BTs are selling earrings that other customers have returned...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Also BTs are selling earrings that other customers have returned...

To the best of my knowledge, any retailer in Ireland has to say if the product is pre-owned. I am sure that there is an element of H&S here too, it would be unhigenic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It really shows you're better to contact the store/supplier with queries before coming on a mesageboad to get the fireside lawyers' opinions.:p

Advertisement