Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too cold to surf?

Options
  • 22-12-2009 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

Is it too cold to surf tomorrow? I only have 5/3 wetsuit and booties, no hood or gloves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

If the surf is good, take the hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Is it too cold to surf tomorrow? I only have 5/3 wetsuit and booties, no hood or gloves
    Jesus, no!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

never! might be too cold for a 3hr surf... but never too cold for a surf. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

what happens if the sea is frozen though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

guess

• Advertisement

think you'd probably have to take your fins off before you headed in :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

conno16 wrote: »
    what happens if the sea is frozen though?
    :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

new board, decent swell, offshore, dry wetsuit, not working till this everning...

...stopped by a feckin icy hill...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

without a hood and gloves, i dont know, in this weather it would be too much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Out this morning......
    It was Baltic!! I'd re think the hood though. I was getting ice cream headaches with the hood on.

Looking good for the morrow too.....:cool:

• Advertisement

fair dues. ^ :cool:

gerk86 wrote: »
    new board, decent swell, offshore, dry wetsuit, not working till this everning...

...stopped by a feckin icy hill...

gutted! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

I'd go for a "power surf" ie get in get a few waves and get the hell out.

I think you'd get away with it, i was in for 2hrs today and the sun meant my head was too warm and my first session of the year with gloves so its not a show stopper not to have them, make sure get warmed up quickly aftwerwards

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cprh

liberal wrote: »

You'll prob last about an hour. Get out if you feel sick or your hands and feet get real solid. Warm up fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

...or you could stick a rectal thermometer in, stay out until you reach 32-35'C and then head for the nearest hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shane_O

Went out last week,it was 3 degC air temp,strong enough offshore, water was freezing.It wasnt too bad though except for walking up the beach afterwards when i thought my board had frozzen to my hand.The wind chill was unreal.

Well worth it though:D

I'm sure it is probably broken, but my car was reading -6 C this morning on the way to the beach. It was by far the coldest day I have ever been out.......

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

At 09:00hrs mine was reading -5.5 deg C. I guess both temp guages are just fine!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shane_O

Havent been brave enough to battle out since it went sub-zero,no gloves or hood but thats all being sorted soon:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Airsoft247

Well they say your wetsuits more important than your board
    This is my moto
    As long as theres no bits of ice bergs floating around you,ll be grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Zeroman_IR

First time out in my new Xcel 5/4/3 today. Wore it with my hooded polypro vest, 3mm booties and gloves. I was sweating! Couldn't believe it. Going to just buy a hood, the polypro vest might be too much with it. Also, exposed that I need thicker booties, my feet were the only cold part, everything else was toasty. Could feel sweat running down my neck :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Save it for the summer Kooks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    Save it for the summer Kooks!!

lol its the kooks that save it for the summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

Anyone brave enough to try out Killiney bout 9 tomorrow morn or Bray a bit later!? Was out last week, sheltered changing spot for after is vital!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Its never too cold to surf my friend! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Man up you pussy.

Your Bic will keep you afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

NickDrake wrote: »
    Man up you pussy.

:confused:

What is the deal with the attitude of a lot of surfers?

I mean for a start, he wasn't even asking would he be able to float so what has floating on his Bic got to do with anything?

Oh I get it, he surfs a Bic so it's your duty as a gnarly surf dude to attempt to ridicule him. Good job:rolleyes:

I mean for a start, he wasn't even asking would he be able to float so what has floating on his Bic got to do with anything?

Oh I get it, he surfs a Bic so it's your duty as a gnarly surf dude to attempt to ridicule him. Good job:rolleyes:

ha ha ha........ +1......
    A gnarly surf dude, from Blackrock!! How are those slabs on the east coast treating ya??????

We all have to start somewhere........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

NickDrake wrote: »
    Man up you pussy.

Don't use abusive language towards other members.

I've been wondering that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Nice surf last Saturday near Carrownisky. It was smallish and clean, but the sun was shining. I defo think a good hood is required. Hands will warm up after a while as long as you have a good suit and you get warm, the blood will soon flow to hands again. I only stayed out for an hour, but was still warm enough - new suit is amazing. Would have been out longer but would have been left on my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

What's the new suit?

Advertisement