Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saw the worst thing yesterday...

Options
  • 22-12-2009 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

So I was out walking my dogs yesterday, I got home late and it was getting dark so I decided to just do a few laps of the local football field. I was going back to my car when we finished when I saw a red van pull up, I didn't take too much notice until it drove off and I saw a lurcher type dog trotting behind it, the van took off at speed and the dog couldn't keep up. The people in the van had just dumped the dog, I couldn't believe it, I know people do things like this everyday but I'd never actually seen it happen. The dog came over to me sniffed me, then ran over to a guy training on the football pitch sniffed him, ran back to me, she was so confused, she didn't know where she was or where her 'family' had gone, I felt so bad for her. I put my 3 dogs in my car, I didn't have room for her at the time (I've only a small car) so I drove home to drop off my dogs (took about 4 mins) and got my bf to come with me in case I needed to lift the dog into the car. However when I got back to the car park there was no sign of the dogs, I did a lap of the field and car park but couldn't find her. The only thing I can think might have happen was that there was a guy parked beside me who also saw what happened, I hope he might have taken her as his car was gone when I got back also. Just couldn't stop thinking about her last night, how could anyone be so cruel. It was -5 last night, lurchers have such short coats and no body fat she would freeze to death, I just don't understand some people's mind set...........:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Atwork

Picked up an abandoned dog myself a couple of weeks ago.Some people just deserve to be shot with balls of there own ****e.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Atwork wrote: »
    Picked up an abandoned dog myself a couple of weeks ago.Some people just deserve to be shot with balls of there own ****e.:mad:

+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I have to agree with the sentiment being echoed here, there's nothing worse than abandoning a pet like that.
    It's really sad to see.
    /edit
    lrushe: it's a pity you didn't get the registration number of the van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

That's awful, I hope the poor dog will be okay. Was only just talking to my mother about people dumping dogs, she was saying the pounds should be free to bring unwanted dogs to, she has a point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As I understand it, the pounds are free. People are just lazy and cruel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

OP that's terrible! I hope that poor dog is OK. It's shocking how some people can be so heartless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

OP that is terrible. Dog/pet is for life not a piece of furniture like other poster have said how can they be so heartless

Hope the dog is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

tallus wrote: »
    lrushe: it's a pity you didn't get the registration number of the van.

Unfortunately the van was park with the side facing me and I didn't initiallly realise what was going on, I just thought they were dropping someone off at the football pitch to train, it wasn't until it drove off and I saw the dog following that I realised what was going on, poor thing followed the van as far as it could before it could no longer keep up :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

spurious wrote: »

I'm not familiar with all pounds but my brother in law brought a stray dog to the pound recently and had to pay 35 euro so they're not all free definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

and a lot of times these lurcher type dogs make perfect dogs for pets for people , i took in a abandoned one and it had a lovely temperment , was great on the lead , when not walkin they love relaxing , very quiet nice dogs as far as im concerned , my only prob with this type of dog is i dont find them good for recall , but you cant have everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There was a woman here used to dump her dog at the top of the road to the pier every day, then drive off at speed.

Poor dog would yelp and bark and race after her; on a public road.

It was her way of exercising it; dog went through this every single day.

And folk just stood and watched.

I was so angry; next time I stood in front of her car so she had to stop and very ostentatiously took down her car reg number.

Called our local pet rescue; they said others had reported it but no knew who the woman was

And they called the Gardai to trace her and she was warned.

What some people do.. and the dogs still love them so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Yep, we have a lurcher rescue aswell , someone was cruel enough to take her to the train tracks as a pup and tie her there, had to get down and cut the bloody rope to free her, shes still with us. She is a lovely dog but had issues from been beaten when she was younger, very insecure, barks a little bit much but mostly she just loves her walks and relaxing around the house. Surprizingly good guard dog aswell, protective of her family as alot of recues are.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

After reading all these posts, I just had to give my dog a great big hug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Why? I don't understand how anyone can do that to a poor little animal. Just like dumping a bag of rubbish. What did they do wrong? Nothing! What's the problem in finding a new home for them?

I hate people that do this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

To anyone reading this please never take a dog to a Pound especially a Lurcher. Contact your local rescue instead.

As a breed Greyhounds / Lurchers make the best pets, I'm always amazed why people aren't falling over themselves to adopt one, I had a greyhound as a child and he was just the sweetest guy, really soft face and eyes. There is definately another greyhound in my future some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

to the guy who paid 35 quid to bring a dog to the rescue, i heard about a place in cork that brought in that rule this year but most rescues and pounds dont charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Graceland wrote: »
    After reading all these posts, I just had to give my dog a great big hug.

Me too!

Our madra is a rescue dog. An absolute legend of a dog.

However she ended up in the position she did beforehand, it's our gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

the CSPCA in Cork charge €100 to leave a dog with them - and another €100 to take one out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dublindogcare

This is terrible , I really hate hearing stories like this. I was down the park myself the other day with 2 dogs and this small terrier like dog joined in on our walk......i assumed his owner was behind me as the park was packed with people , the dog also looked very well looked after and had ID tag collar etc. after an hr in the park I started actively looking for the dogs owner as I couldnt see anyone that looked like they lost their dog.

In the end I called the number on the dogs tag , and the owner said she just lets him walk himself round , he comes back to house when he wants. (totally disagree with this but thats not really the point of the story)

I packed up my 2 dogs in the car , and drove off but the poor little dog starting chasing the car.....i felt sooooooooo bad and knew what it must look like to others (like i just dumped a dog!) However there is still good people out there......i got stopped on my way up the road .....literally someone stopped their car and stood out on the road to make sure I stopped and gave me an ear full......i obviously explained the situation to her ......but I did feel good that she stopped me , as for all she knew , i just dumped the dog!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Our little baby is a rescue whippet and it actually brought a tear to my eye when I read this. Asleep with her head in my lap as she is now, I cannot understand why anyone could possibly do this to the best friend they'll ever have. She was taken from a seizure and it honestly hurts me to think what the first few months of her life must have been like. I'll never stop trying to make up for the cruelty of her first owners and she'll always be my princess.

Absolute shame on them and anyone else who could inflict any kind of pain and cruelty on the creatures that WE have adapted to rely on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Paul91 wrote: »
    the CSPCA in Cork charge €100 to leave a dog with them - and another €100 to take one out

That's scandalous. Ok, charge for taking a dog off them but charging people to leave one with them just encourages dumping, drowning etc.

You are opening up a very good question. There are arguments for & against charging to take dogs. The Pound will get the Christmas rejects & the dogs that have to go to make way for the Christmas puppy. If you do not charge you just make it easier to get rid of a dog with no consequences. If you do charge then you run the risk of people just dumping. The key to this is to eventually have a system, as with cars, where a dog is registered for life on a national database.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

The sanctuary I volunteer for always asks for a 'reasonable' donation from anyone leaving in a dog. Unfortunately that often means either nothing or a tenner, and then the people are crying and asking if they can come up and visit the dog!!!! Unfortunately there's very few genuine cases where the people can't take care of their dog, the genuine people have no problem giving a decent donation towards their dogs care while it's waiting to be rehomed.

It's those that would dump the dogs anyway that will chuck you a fiver or a tenner and think they're great. The sanctuary doesn't have an official in coming charge for the reason of these people dumping dogs. It does have an adoption fee alright, and it doesn't cover expenses by any stretch, it's mainly because we've seen if people get something for free they don't give it the same respect as if they've had to put their hand in their pocket for it. Beggars belief but there you go

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hpsheba

Discodog wrote: »
    You are opening up a very good question. There are arguments for & against charging to take dogs. The Pound will get the Christmas rejects & the dogs that have to go to make way for the Christmas puppy. If you do not charge you just make it easier to get rid of a dog with no consequences. If you do charge then you run the risk of people just dumping. The key to this is to eventually have a system, as with cars, where a dog is registered for life on a national database.

+1.

But I also think that vets need to take some responsibility. When the lovely Christmas pup is brought to them for their vacination they should be checking that 1) if the pup is already micro chipped that the chip has been registered in the new owners name and 2) if they are doing the micro chip they should be registering the chip and not sending the owner off to do it. Then we may start to have a proper database up and running IMO

When I got my first dog micro chipped I did not know that I had to register the details,I thought I was doing great and it was only a year later that I found out that the mc was not registered. I did contact my vet then who said that they never register them and it was up to the owner. When I siad that I should have been told she said it must have slipped her mind. :(

Anyway, €50 for a micro chipping service, when the chip cost €8 it would not kill them to buy a stamp for .55c.

Anyway, to get back to the point, I really hope that these dogs are somewhere safe and warm now. Its sickening how much of this is going on at the moment.

Vets in Ireland vary so much. My vet always checks for a chip & always registers but she gets lots of people who refuse to chip. There are also problems with different chip companies & registers. We need a standard system where the chip number is linked to the license.

In reality these are dreams. Such a system could only be implemented with the support of the general population - no chance of that here.

Vets in Ireland vary so much. My vet always checks for a chip & always registers but she gets lots of people who refuse to chip. There are also problems with different chip companies & registers. We need a standard system where the chip number is linked to the license.

In reality these are dreams. Such a system could only be implemented with the support of the general population - no chance of that here.

So was NAMA given general support? I don't think so. The government just can't be arsed with putting funding into this. I think the shelters need to charge more for adoption, and chip every animal that comes through their doors, I also think that it should be a legal requirement for all owners to chip their animals. Ireland is so wrong in it's attitudes towards it's pets that it's sickening. If you own a pet, it is your responsibility to provide it with shelter, food, healthcare, love and even education in the form of basic training, in much the same way as you would a child. This is the reality, and if you are not prepared to provide all of this then you are in no position to have a dog, cat, etc etc. A fish might suit you though.

So was NAMA given general support? I don't think so. The government just can't be arsed with putting funding into this. I think the shelters need to charge more for adoption, and chip every animal that comes through their doors, I also think that it should be a legal requirement for all owners to chip their animals. Ireland is so wrong in it's attitudes towards it's pets that it's sickening. If you own a pet, it is your responsibility to provide it with shelter, food, healthcare, love and even education in the form of basic training, in much the same way as you would a child. This is the reality, and if you are not prepared to provide all of this then you are in no position to have a dog, cat, etc etc. A fish might suit you though.

Animal welfare is never an election issue. The shelters should be able to charge more but people would not pay it & they need to re-home before they can take in more dogs. Most if not all rescue do microchip.

Irish people should care but the majority do not. We can't force them to care. What is it about the Irish that make us so much worse than other countries ?.

Animal welfare is never an election issue. The shelters should be able to charge more but people would not pay it & they need to re-home before they can take in more dogs. Most if not all rescue do microchip.

Irish people should care but the majority do not. We can't force them to care. What is it about the Irish that make us so much worse than other countries ?.

Yet they'll pay through the nose for a certain breed. We're shallow, greedy and only care about the aesthetics of things. The rules for reporting animal cruelty need to change and we need to see more prosecutions in this area.

• Advertisement

Yet they'll pay through the nose for a certain breed. We're shallow, greedy and only care about the aesthetics of things.

I have three dogs and have paid for all three, I don't consider myself shallow, greedy or hung up on aesthetics, if I was I would have turned my back on that abandoned lucher and not given her a second thought. I work hard to earn my money. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I might only get away on holiday every few years, my dogs are my luxury in life which I could spend years saving up for. I have come accustomed to the snobbery which some pedigree dog owners have but I am constantly surprised by it in some rescue dog owners looking down their nose at anyone who dared to buy their dog. A dog is a dog, its the quality of life you give them thats the important thing

Advertisement