Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumbledore's homosexuality?

• 23-12-2009 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, were there any clear signs throughout the books? I mean an ancient bachelor with a habit for inviting young male students to his study late at night? Anyone have any thoughts? :P

On a serious note, were there any signs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

This is something I've talked to my HPA co-staffers time and time again, as well as with some people from mugglenet/mugglecast. Honestly, the way Dumbledore was written (we all agree), was that he was quite obviously gay, if you read the signs and knew an LGBT person.

The major one (for me, and for a lot of people), was the Grindlewald relationship. That was nearly obviously gay. As well as his bad relationship with his brother (though Aberforth could have been into goats in more ways than one!), which some of us think may be because of Dumbledore 'coming out', as it was.

I'm involved too much in the fandom, aren't I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Just a tad ;). At least you're not brandishing a twilight fandom anywhere :)

Trust me, I was in that for a while. Then I found the light and left!

I've actually thought to myself about how I should read the books in order to "appear" credible in arguments, but at the end of the day, I know the story already, so why should I torture myself. Also I'm afraid I'll lose what little tolerance I have for society by reading it.

But back on topic, I dunno. I think realistically, the signs were there, but none of us thought about it til the very end. Which brings up another question. Why are none of the Hogwarts Teachers married o.O?

Oooh...good question.

We had an idea (This was 8am Irish time, so between 10pm - 3am for the US/Canada people) that they were a harem...I think that was attributed to leakycon at the end of the day.

Isn't Neville married in the epilogue? I remember JKR saying somewhere he married Hannah Abbott after the final battle...

• Advertisement

Harem being?

Harem being a certain thing involving people who are in a polygamous relationship.

Mod Note: Slugs, I've edited this post. This is a forum frequented by young children and teenagers, so let's try and keep the posts PG!

Faith

I don't even want to...*bad mental image*

Lol, Rule 34 :P. But nah, I dunno, I mean they can't all be single...

• Advertisement

True...I'm gonna look up various websites for this, now. Times like this I love mugglespace.

We shall wait with anticipation :P

Tea anyone?

There's nothing anywhere...all I can find is on wikipedia, where it says that mcgonagle retired before the epilogue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

Rowling at some point mentioned that some of the staff were married... she just never found the place/space to talk about that fact...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

I honestly never thought at any point thought he books that he was gay.

The only time that anything came close was he's time with Grindlewald but even then that was a friendship, it never said Dumbledore loved at any time I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dublin141

I always imagined he was gay. It just seemed...reasonable to me. Even before Grindlewald but that made me absolutely certain. :)

Advertisement