Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Rental problem New Year 09

Options
  • 23-12-2009 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

don't know if this is the right forum for this but couldn't find anywhere more appropriate.

I have booked two houses for the New Year period. Each house sleeps 6. Initially when I booked I tried to book from 30th Dec - 2nd Jan but was told that bookings were on a weekly rate. I went ahead with the booking anyway but understood that although my query had stated 30th - 2nd, as I had paid for a week it would run from Saturday (26th) to Saturday (2nd) which is what I was told.

As a result of having the houses for a week some of us decided to go there early (28th Dec). I rang the woman in charge of the houses today to confirm when we would arrive and was told that we could only arrive on 30th as that was the booking. I explained about the weekly rate etc but she told me the houses are occupied until 30th.

I rang the agency I booked through and they told me they'd look into it but haven't got back to me since.

I'm a bit annoyed as people will now need to change plans. Is this just one of those lessons learned the hard way (book for a week even if it's not the case) or do I have a leg to stand on if I argue this? I find it outrageous that I have paid for a week and someone else may also have paid for a week - effectively earning the landlord double rent!

As I said earlier sorry if this is the wrong forum and feel free to move this is it's a problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭kenbrady

hobochick wrote: »
    don't know if this is the right forum for this but couldn't find anywhere more appropriate.

I have booked two houses for the New Year period. Each house sleeps 6. Initially when I booked I tried to book from 30th Dec - 2nd Jan but was told that bookings were on a weekly rate. I went ahead with the booking anyway but understood that although my query had stated 30th - 2nd, as I had paid for a week it would run from Saturday (26th) to Saturday (2nd) which is what I was told.

As a result of having the houses for a week some of us decided to go there early (28th Dec). I rang the woman in charge of the houses today to confirm when we would arrive and was told that we could only arrive on 30th as that was the booking. I explained about the weekly rate etc but she told me the houses are occupied until 30th.

I rang the agency I booked through and they told me they'd look into it but haven't got back to me since.

I'm a bit annoyed as people will now need to change plans. Is this just one of those lessons learned the hard way (book for a week even if it's not the case) or do I have a leg to stand on if I argue this? I find it outrageous that I have paid for a week and someone else may also have paid for a week - effectively earning the landlord double rent!

As I said earlier sorry if this is the wrong forum and feel free to move this is it's a problem.
    consumer issue might be better forum.
    You booked for a week, you have it for a week.
    Ring demand what you paid for, small claims court is the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Yes, I think the owner is pulling a fast one. Demand your keys for the first day of the weekly rental period or a refund in full. Having said that I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting a refund back but at least make some noise about it and let them think you're not just going to quietly accept it.

If they're registered or affiliated with an agency then tell the owner that you'll report them to the agency.

Also, tell her that the internet is a powerful tool and there are websites were you can post reviews good and bad on holiday rental properties.

That might make them a little more nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

if you booked with a credit card then you have every chance of getting a refund. if you paid for a week then you're entitled to that.

if you ask for a refund and the agency won't refund you then your credit card company will and chase the agency for the money. bear in mind if you go this route that the credit card company will give the agency 30 days to issue a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 hobochick

thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It all depends what is contained in the T&Cs of the rental agreement. It's quite possible that a minimum payment equal to a week is required, but that you've only booked for the few days in question. When you booked you specified the dates you would require it for. That's what you agreed to.

But in reality, get a copy of the T&Cs and see what you signed up for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement