Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My experience of beggars today 3 days before Xmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kazaap wrote: »
    That girl should either be in a mental home or prison. she has a baby in her arms for ****s sake!
    Not knowing anything about either of them, it looks like one homeless person attacking a non-homeless person for begging in "their" spot...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I witnessed a rather funny incident recently. I was waiting on someone outside the post office on Andrew street. A beggar was sitting outside the door, cup in hand doing a roaring trade. He got up and ran across the road behind a van to empty the cup and count his money,took no more than 30 seconds. He steps out from behind the van to go back to his spot and another beggar was sitting there cup in hand. I couldn't hear the conversation they had but I could read their lips, it wasn't nice.Beggar No 1 was obviously a newbie because he didn't get his spot back, even the Roma selling the big issue was laughing at him. I'm sure he learned a valuable lesson,begging is a cut throat biz, don't count your money and wear a nappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

That_Guy wrote: »
    "Sorry boss, I'm a travelling boy and I'm looking for my family... not your fault I know. But if you've any money for a hostel I'd much appreciate it"

You forgot the part where he says "I don't mean to be cheeky or anything." I think he only uses the travelling excuse near carriaged transport, because he used it on me when I was in Heuston station, but never any of the other times. He girlfriend is quite good at faking being upset also, she has some spiel about being pregnant and needing an examination or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

the_syco wrote: »
    . I play chicken with the ones that approach me who don't have any visable ID on them. They move, or... I brush past them. I really don't give a f**k about them. The non-roma beggers I treat like everyone else.

LOL!

I'm totally going to play chicken with the concern collectors! I hate the way when you;re walking down the street and from about ten meters ahead of you, you hear a camp voice saying "HI GUUUUUUUYS!" .... " Wanna have a quick chat about concern??!!"

URRRG.... and the hot girls are the worst! I feel so bad giving them the stink eye :P Oh well, as soon as the put on that concern vest they know they're letting themselves in for instant public distain :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Numina wrote: »
    You forgot the part where he says "I don't mean to be cheeky or anything." I think he only uses the travelling excuse near carriaged transport, because he used it on me when I was in Heuston station, but never any of the other times. He girlfriend is quite good at faking being upset also, she has some spiel about being pregnant and needing an examination or something like that.

I had a girl stop me in Heuston before saying she was pregnant and thought there was something wrong and needed money to see the doctor and she wanted help. I told her to go straight to the emergency room and ask them, I'm not a doctor (not normally my sort of reply but I was in a bad mood). Man did she launch some amount of abuse at me.

She called me everyname under the sun, scumbag, culchie wanker, the list goes on and on. Mid way though she lit a smoke, I was begining to thing she was going to stay at it until my train came, it looked like she was getting comfortable and was starting to attract an audience. So I infomed her that smoking was not good for the baby. It was like her head was going to explode she got that mad at me. Then the security guard came running at her and she legged it. (She was smoking in the main part of the station.)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Dean0088 wrote: »
    LOL!

I'm totally going to play chicken with the concern collectors! I hate the way when you;re walking down the street and from about ten meters ahead of you, you hear a camp voice saying "HI GUUUUUUUYS!" .... " Wanna have a quick chat about concern??!!"

URRRG.... and the hot girls are the worst! I feel so bad giving them the stink eye :P Oh well, as soon as the put on that concern vest they know they're letting themselves in for instant public distain :rolleyes:

Those little feckers.....I stopped for one before and they were pushing me for a monthly donation of about 15 euro, I said no I was willing to give a once off donation and the cheeky fecker asked me how much I earn and was it really too much to ask for 15euro. I told him to **** off and left.

TomTom wrote: »
    Those little feckers.....I stopped for one before and they were pushing me for a monthly donation of about 15 euro, I said no I was willing to give a once off donation and the cheeky fecker asked me how much I earn and was it really too much to ask for 15euro. I told him to **** off and left.
    I'm actually wondering why people aren't scamming for credit card number, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Saw a funny episode the other day on Seán Heuston Bridge, there is a non-Irish guy who begs there every day, he looks very meek and weary, plays the part very well, but the other day this old Guy (looked like a tourist) felt sorry for this guy, searched his pockets but didn't have any change, he then pulled a Banana out of his coat pocket and gave it to the Beggar, you'd want to see the face on yer man begging you'd swear he was just mugged, Priceless.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

lee_ wrote: »

Ha ha it looks more like that Roma Woman is trying to steal the chair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Bring a disinfectant spray around and discreetly spray them in the face while moving purposefully away with a rictus of tasteful disgust on your face. Wearing an overcoat with an ermine collar is optional.

It won't solve anything but it will give you a most delightful frisson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

lee_ wrote: »

That picture is quite misleading.

The Roma woman is actually using her gypsy powers to launch the chair at that poor innocent girl, and she was just luky enough to catch it in mid air.

If the camera had snapped again, you would see the blonde girl falling to the ground with the chair konking her on the head and the gypsy woman disappeaing in a cloud of angry smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

2 most annoying beggars I know (apart form any Roma) are always around Hibernian Way / Duke Lane.

I fella always stands in the sort of crossroads on Duke Lane outside the hibernian way - has a 'tache and black curly hair.

He's there every day "have you got some change for a cup of tea".

I didn't know they sold that much tea in Ladbrokes - because the little fúcker is always in there.

The other annoying little príck pretends he's deaf. He's really short, grey hair and wags his bloody ear at you.

He spends most every day in Ladbrokes too.

I told him to fúck off, trust me he's notdeaf. He stuck his fingers up at me.

I see both of these little bastárds get money from people, then go straight into the bookies.

I work beside the Hibernian way - they really piss me off!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

I can't stand the ones that beg in traffic, dressed head to toe in Adidas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    I can't stand the ones that beg in traffic, dressed head to toe in fake Adidas!

FYP :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Are beggers a race? If so well slap my ass and call me a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

It's wrong to give money to people begging on the street, it only encourages them to stay on the street. Give money to a homeless shelter, where they can actually do some good for these people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

i meant the race i had mentioned in my post!the majority of them are from this ethnicity and our despised in their own country from any1 I have talked to/worked with from there.Not to mention all the robbing they do..i worked as a security guard in a shopping centre in arklow for a brief spell and I would always try and give this "race" of people the benefit of the doubt but no they wud alwasy be getting turfed out of the place before you knew it for robbing or attempting it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

orourkeda wrote: »
    I blame the romanians

Yea what did those Romanians ever do for us.................................................
    Oh wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

RustyNut wrote: »
    Yea what did those Romanians ever do for us.................................................
    Oh wait....

You sir clearly don't understand the phrase 'oh wait' or its usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

R0ot wrote: »
    You sir clearly don't understand the phrase 'oh wait' or its usage.

hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I sometimes give money to beggars. Usually the older ones or those who look like they are homeless, which isnt always easy to spot. Ironically the quieter ones tend to be the geniunely homeless cases. Hardened from living on the streets, drink themselves into oblivion every day yet wouldnt take a hand out.

I didnt always give them money tho, i used the excuse "sure they'll only spend it on drink". but mammy faceman hit me with some knowledge when we were both out walking. Imagine been forced to live on the streets and alcohol was your only form of escapism? its probably they're only bit of happiness. Now all the high horses can spout about it doing no good blah blah but unfortunately its the reality of the life every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Hearts of stone on this board....I worked the door for a few years and you begin to recognise the faces and have a chat now and again. For every junkie petty thief there are unfortunates who fell on hard times and are now in sh!te circumstances.

Half the time a chat and merely acknowledging their presence is enough. Can you imagine how lonely it is sitting out on the street at Christmas watching everyone else buying presents and celebrating and all you have to look forward to is a lonely night in -6 degrees on your lonesome.....only thing that there is, is the volunteer soup kitchens then back out on the road etc.

So next time you want to go labeling everyone you see thats down on their luck try not generalize and stereotype them all. If giving the money is an issue "they'll spend it on drugs" buy them a cup of tea or sandwich. Or if money is your issue spare them a kind word or a smoke. Human interaction can mean a lot.

I heard a great documentary called Leaving state care on RTE1 http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/leaving-care-radio-documentary.html about how the system lets everyone down. And few days after your 18 Birthday when your in state care your turfed out on the street with no social worker and left to fend for yourself.

Now Roma Gypsies are a different kettle of fish....any society built solely on the nothing but illegal activity is trouble and have had nothing but bad experience with them. And Irish people really learn to distinguish between Romanians and Roma Gypsies. Would like to be called a traveler when your not? Same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭MikeyCdublin

Numina wrote: »

Ha this guy came upto me 3 times yesterday on Henry st saying the exact same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I seen that young lad who i use to see busking and beggin around stevens green well i was near the ilac a while ago and i was walkin past he was asleep and i want to pop a few quid in his cup his eye's were kinda blue around the eye lids then i went hay thats ****in make up !

Altho i do agree with bigduffman should really be more sympathetic towards those in that kind of circumstance.

Seriously, thats good money?.

Could you imagine for a moment what it cost's a beggar to take that first step into begging?.

I don't know about you, but I can't put a price on anyone's dignity.

Except for the professional Roma, my heart goes out to beggar's.

For me, seeing the homeless and destitute really thugs on my heart strings.

Yes, it is good money. I was only making 60 euro a day in my first job, and paying tax out of that. Not saying I'd ever want to beg, but many of those people asking if I had 'spare change' were probably better off than I was in terms of cash. Now I'm a postgrad student with a part time job, barely enough to survive, and I get people telling me 'I can afford to give some change'. Well, I can't, actually. And it does annoy me. It might not be their fault they have to beg but it isn't mine either. I'm not going to go without food or medicine to give money to a stranger who usually appears drunk or is smoking. If that makes me mean, then so be it. I help out with charities when I can, I'm not a walking ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

gurramok wrote: »

To throw in the mix, there was about 20 kids from Belvedere College all out with their buckets 'begging' for money. Why do they give a f*** at Xmas about the homeless and not every other day of the year?

phasers wrote: »
    I hate town at Christmas, those groups of stupid brats shaking buckets at me need a slap.
    An annual charitable fundraising event held by the College is the "Belvedere Sleep-Out", which takes place from December 22 to 24th each year. Students "go homeless" on Dublin's O'Connell Street for 3 days and 2 nights. The Sleep-Out is run primarily by students from the College, with the assistance of a number of teachers, to raise funds for Focus Ireland, The Home Again Society and Father Peter McVerry's Society for homeless boys. The students fast for 24 hours of the Sleep-Out. The culmination of the event is Christmas Eve midnight mass, in the college chapel. In the past, the college has managed to raise over €137,000 in a single Christmas period for the charities.

I think some people need to realise that not everyone will be having dinner at their parent’s house, or with loved ones around the TV watching a Christmas movie. In fact this year is expected to have the most ever visit the RDS for Dinner.

Belvo lads amongst other groups at Xmas do what they can to help those who are less well off than ourselves. They may be a bit in your face about getting some spare change, but only because they are doing it for the benefit of others. They are not getting paid, it does not go towards admin fees. All the money goes to charities to help them help the homeless.

The Students doing the Sleep out do their best to make as much money as possible. They don’t just do the Sleep out as a once off, their is countless activities during the year, through the SVP and Fr. Peter McVerry, that the students help out with.

You might not see any benefit from it when you walk through town with all the money and warmth you need, and the ability to go home and turn on the heat when your cold, but their are thousands out their who need it.

Its completely acceptable to not want to give to Charity, as obviously you have no idea what it is, but to come on and give out about people trying to help others the best way the can is pathetic.

Have a Happy Christmas and Pray you never have to be homeless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Kazaap

the_syco wrote: »
    Not knowing anything about either of them, it looks like one homeless person attacking a non-homeless person for begging in "their" spot...

You may want to have a read of the story that accompanies the picture then(you click on the picture). And even if that was the case, it hardly excuses someone from being psycoticly violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Half the time a chat and merely acknowledging their presence is enough.

My father, volunteering at a soup kitchen on Christmas day last year, struck up a chat with a homeless man. The man told my father that he was the first person that he had spoken to in months.

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Would like to be called a traveler when your not? Same thing.
    I'm told that in Norway, the travellers there are all Irish.

=-=

Although there are a lot of people on the streets through no fault of their own, many are there due to alcoholism, drug abuse, or they got out of prison/mental home with nowhere to go. Giving them cash to spend on booze won't hep them long term. Forcing them to ask for help is, IMO, the only way to help them.

If you want to help them, give to the Simon community, who help give these people a bed for the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭one-angry-dwarf

gurramok wrote: »
    ...2 more on another bridge(the new one called Samuel Beckett...).

Maybe they were just waiting for someone... ;)

Advertisement