Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My experience of beggars today 3 days before Xmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Ah poor little babys are getting asked for a bit of spare change off the horrible smelly homeless ain't it such a shame.. i mean it's only 0 degrees out poor babys have to get home with their xmas shopping because their hands are getting cold and sore from all the heavy bags the are holding.

Not to worry eh, when you go home maybe make yourself a little hot chocolate and as a treat maybe pop a little marshmallow in it, then turn on the ol laptop and tell all your internet buddies about how horrid all those horrible smelly little homeless folks are.

Remember to turn on the heating when you get in though, you wouldn't want to be getting cold tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

gurramok wrote: »
    I was off work today and decided to go for a walk into town(Dub that is) and I have not walked into town in months.

Result - Beggars everywhere.

I step out the door, one around the corner from the apt outside a Spar, another up on a bridge 30seconds away and 2 more on another bridge(the new one called Samuel Beckett where there is one beggar on opposite side of the bridge).

Another beggar on Pearse st, 2 on O'Connell bridge, 2 on O'Connell St, 2 on Henry st, 2 on Liffey st and 1 on Mary st. Whats that, 14 on that short journey over a few streets.

Now, all bar 2 of the above were of a certain foreign grouping we know well. One of them I saw on my journey back promptly got up, did a jog on the spot for about a minute to warm up and promptly sat back down with the blanket over him with that desperate look of starvation. Looked very healthy and clothed for a bloke in need.

Another who I'm certain was Irish(as I heard him speak to a stall seller for a split second on my return journey) was outside the M&S on Henry st. First time I walked past him at 12:30pm he was covered in sleeping bags & blankets all desperate looking with the cup in hand waiting for a coin to drop into it.

When i came out of the shops 2 min later and walked back past his spot, i couldn't believe what I saw in front of me. He got up, spoke to the seller and walked around the corner onto Liffey st. He looked very fit to me as if he worked out in the gym and well fed with good clothes, you could mistake him for a bouncer. Not a bother on him as he went on his way and for the smart arses...no, he was not sleeping there after a night out ;):)

To throw in the mix, there was about 20 kids from Belvedere College all out with their buckets 'begging' for money. Why do they give a f*** at Xmas about the homeless and not every other day of the year?

And oh, all the beggars disappeared as I retraced my journey a couple of hours ago. I had my suspicions but is this one big con job money making style by the beggars?:mad:

by the sounds of these directions you live next door to me...

closes blinds & locks doors

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Ah poor little babys are getting asked for a bit of spare change off the horrible smelly homeless ain't it such a shame.. i mean it's only 0 degrees out poor babys have to get home with their xmas shopping because their hands are getting cold and sore from all the heavy bags the are holding.

Not to worry eh, when you go home maybe make yourself a little hot chocolate and as a treat maybe pop a little marshmallow in it, then turn on the ol laptop and tell all your internet buddies about how horrid all those horrible smelly little homeless folks are.

Remember to turn on the heating when you get in though, you wouldn't want to be getting cold tonight!

Sounds like a plan! :p But I think it'd be mayeb a couple of beers instread of the hot chocolate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

beggers are on the streets for a reason, if their stupid enough to end up on the streets they deserve it.

Noob.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Pdfile wrote: »
    beggers are on the streets for a reason, if their stupid enough to end up on the streets they deserve it.

Noob.

Easy to say that when your a schoolkid using their mammy's internet to spew such grammatical errors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

Gave a guy who assured me that he wasnt a junkie a fiver today on Wicklow street
    After I gave him the fiver he asked me for another tenner for petrol for his car!

I then felt really guilty after I came across group of beggars who were no more than 14 and obviously not junkies and realised I really should have gave it to them instead

Well I'm an idiot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

I don't mind beggers or the concern people too much, if I had a job or anything I'd prob give a bit but I just hate the overly aggresive junkies at the bus stops! Half the time when I'm waiting for the 51b, there is always one of them, if I say no, they lash out at you! :mad: (Especially when there is only 1 or 2 people there) I'm sick of it and just tell them to fuck off and die... bit harsh, but I really am sick of it! I don't mind giving to charity and the likes of the college that are sleeping on the streets to raise money for the homeless (gave a bit to them today) But I really just can't stand the junkies at the bus stops! Esp. Aston Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Noob.

ye bud i say your nice and cosy, rich parents to bail you out if you ever make any mistakes even when your in your 30's they'l still probaly bail you out. some people dont have that they suffer the consequences of there own mistakes there on there own for what ever reason that is.

anyone who looks down on homeless people as a lot of ye refer to them as "beggers" i suppose thats like calling a coloured person a you know what. most of these people are on the streets for a reason not because they choose too, iv the deepest sympathy for any homeless people especially irish people and foreigners the genuine ones have it a lot harder back home. have we all forgot we milked america for years and years and also now austraila

"they got money for wars but they dont feed the poor"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Sir Gallagher Ah poor little babys are getting asked for a bit of spare change off the horrible smelly homeless ain't it such a shame.. i mean it's only 0 degrees out poor babys have to get home with their xmas shopping because their hands are getting cold and sore from all the heavy bags the are holding.

Noob.

Congratulaitons..

http://www.afunnystuff.com/forumpics/you_win_the_prize.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

a romanian begger followed me down moore street today because i ignored her

They're ROMA not Romanian. Romanian is a person from Romania and they don't like being compared to Roma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Romanian: Spare Change?

Me: Oh Yes Please!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Nobody has a problem giving money to those who really are homeless beggars who just got unlucky in life.

But there are so many junkies and 'professional' beggars out there that it makes people skeptical and cold.

No need to be so self righteous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Sorry still not giving money to anything but charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

phasers wrote: »
    Beggars have been nothing but nice to me (Irish guys that is, I've never dealt with any female ones and Roma ones are all scam artists), do they really hurl abuse at people? I must just meet the right ones...

A few years back there was a blonde Irish woman begging at the AIB ATM in Temple Bar Square.
    "Can't you spare a euro or two?"
    And when people ignored her she'd eff and blind at them.

I then set off to go to Reptile Haven, but on my way there I met two guards. I told them about the woman and one of them asked "blondie one, right?" I confirmed it and they made their way down to the square. I followed them a bit and stood at the street corner to watch the proceedings.
    She argued with them a bit before leaving.

I made me feel all warm inside to see the ignorant cow get moved on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Papa Smut wrote: »
    C'mon dudess, are you extracting the urine a bit here?
    :confused:

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Forgive me sir, but upon your moral high horse, you seem to have trampled the disabled.

Never mind sir, the plebs you so condescend are sure to miss the irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

gurramok wrote: »
    Now, all bar 2 of the above were of a certain foreign grouping we know:

You kid :pac:

If we organised a national facebook campaign to royally rip the piss out of any gypsy who asks for freebies or fraudulent charity donations I wonder would the pressure be good enough for them to fook off somewhere else. I never let a Roma who asked for freebies/ fraudulent sh1t away without a royal pisstake, take it up ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Ask them if they have a tax clearance cert for collecting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

I was in getting some food in Iskanders on Dame St on monday when a begger walked in and started to count his change. He pulled out about 70-80 euro in notes then lined up all the coins. I would have said he easily had about 120 euro,maybe even more.by the end of his counting. Its actually sickening when you see cnuts like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 boxclever

i am no racist,just honest,alot of these romanian gypsy beggars are making more on social welfare than i am as a student a week . then they beg on top of this so i wudnt give them them the steam off my piss no matter how many ****in kids they have in their lap sittin on the street. again im not racist,just honest.
    Please dont fool yourself you are 100% racist along with 90% of the people who have added a comment on this subject. If it was an Irish person with a child you would think about how they got to that position but with "romanian gypsy beggars" you are presuming you know there situation based on their race. You are racist

• Advertisement

boxclever wrote: »
    Please dont fool yourself you are 100% racist along with 90% of the people who have added a comment on this subject. If it was an Irish person with a child you would think about how they got to that position but with "romanian gypsy beggars" you are presuming you know there situation based on their race. You are racist

So does that make you a racist too boxclever?

So does that make you a racist too boxclever?
    how do you come to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

flynner13 wrote: »
    I think some people need to realise that not everyone will be having dinner at their parent’s house, or with loved ones around the TV watching a Christmas movie. In fact this year is expected to have the most ever visit the RDS for Dinner.

Belvo lads amongst other groups at Xmas do what they can to help those who are less well off than ourselves. They may be a bit in your face about getting some spare change, but only because they are doing it for the benefit of others. They are not getting paid, it does not go towards admin fees. All the money goes to charities to help them help the homeless.

The Students doing the Sleep out do their best to make as much money as possible. They don’t just do the Sleep out as a once off, their is countless activities during the year, through the SVP and Fr. Peter McVerry, that the students help out with.

You might not see any benefit from it when you walk through town with all the money and warmth you need, and the ability to go home and turn on the heat when your cold, but their are thousands out their who need it.

Its completely acceptable to not want to give to Charity, as obviously you have no idea what it is, but to come on and give out about people trying to help others the best way the can is pathetic.

I've always admired Belvedere College's annual sleep-out. Other schools send their transition year students out in the middle of the school day raising money when no-one is around. Have you ever seen Blackrock College or any of the other private schools making the same effort?

well cos your posting on this topic too. So apparently nearly everyone who posts on this thread is racist according to you. My post had nothing what so ever to do with race so do i get the "racist" tag too just cos i posted here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I donate to non-pushy charities on the streets whenever I have change in my pocket. Mostly around the 2 or 3 euro mark i throw in. i'm never giving to a homeless person directly again after this one Irish aulfella gave me a sob story and I told him I had very little money, which was true, but found a 20 cent when I digged in my pocket and gave it to him. The face he made as if I had just spit in his face and told him to fook off. I'd given him all I had and been nice to the wanker. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihadu

2 most annoying beggars I know (apart form any Roma) are always around Hibernian Way / Duke Lane.

I fella always stands in the sort of crossroads on Duke Lane outside the hibernian way - has a 'tache and black curly hair.

He's there every day "have you got some change for a cup of tea".

I didn't know they sold that much tea in Ladbrokes - because the little fúcker is always in there.

The other annoying little príck pretends he's deaf. He's really short, grey hair and wags his bloody ear at you.

He spends most every day in Ladbrokes too.

I told him to fúck off, trust me he's notdeaf. He stuck his fingers up at me.

I see both of these little bastárds get money from people, then go straight into the bookies.

I work beside the Hibernian way - they really piss me off!

that guy who pretends to be deaf is hilarious. he's freerolling in the bookies and flipping off randomers on the street.... if only i could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Noob.

Ridiculous statement, so by your summation anyone that is on the street is there because of their own stupidity?? Never mind the children that were raped and abused then put in care till they were 18, thrown out on the street with no prospects, guidance, money or very little education, once the government was done with their duty of care as they are now "adults"?

Yes by 18 you should be mature enough to make adult decisions. But when your bounced from home to home all your life and have no family to fall back on it puts you in a sh!te position.

How do you find a job with when you've no fixed address?? How do you get into education without a source of income or means / place to study.

They can be given an allowance by the govt. but at 18 most of us (I know I was) are more concerned on getting your end away and buying a 6 pack of dutch. But I was privileged enough to be put up with my mammy and daddy in my nice warm house, so my primary concern was living for the weekend.

I'm hoping that your just making ridiculous statements for attention or to get a rise. Because if that is your position on the misfortune of others I really and truly hope you have a Sh!t Christmas and a New year...as its worrying to think that Irish society has descended to such a level of ignorance considering the impoverished roots which the majority came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Yes by 18 you should be mature enough to make adult decisions.

pfft what 18 year olds do you know :p

There were 2 Romanian Beggers in Cobh last night..we NEVER have beggers in the town,we had like a wino or two but they died.

There seemed to be this Iish fella wh was shabbily dressed keeping an eye on them as well,seriosuly there must be some kind of organisation of this.Its ridiculouse!.

A friend of mine that used to work in one of the xtra visions in Cork city said one or two of the beggers would come in all the time buying xbox games!

On the same street where that is there was this girl in her early 20's who would stand outside a Londis((Or spar feck I dont realy pay attetion to things other than stuff to complain about beggers)).She was asking eveyrone who passed if they had a spare euro,Ignorig her on the way in i felt bad,so I gae her one on the way out.Now wating oneday at the end of the hill to be picked up after school she walks by asking people for a euro for th bus...then goes dwon to the shop asking for euros....I wanted mine back blah!

But yeah they did a report once ad some"Proffesional" Begers as they called them make 300=400+ a week.I've seen beggers swithc positions using there phones and stuff!,a few times they had ipods and once one had a fecking laptop!,they're not even trying anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihadu

Seloth wrote: »
    pfft what 18 year olds do you know :p

There were 2 Romanian Beggers in Cobh last night..we NEVER have beggers in the town,we had like a wino or two but they died.

There seemed to be this Iish fella wh was shabbily dressed keeping an eye on them as well,seriosuly there must be some kind of organisation of this.Its ridiculouse!.

A friend of mine that used to work in one of the xtra visions in Cork city said one or two of the beggers would come in all the time buying xbox games!

On the same street where that is there was this girl in her early 20's who would stand outside a Londis((Or spar feck I dont realy pay attetion to things other than stuff to complain about beggers)).She was asking eveyrone who passed if they had a spare euro,Ignorig her on the way in i felt bad,so I gae her one on the way out.Now wating oneday at the end of the hill to be picked up after school she walks by asking people for a euro for th bus...then goes dwon to the shop asking for euros....I wanted mine back blah!

But yeah they did a report once ad some"Proffesional" Begers as they called them make 300=400+ a week.I've seen beggers swithc positions using there phones and stuff!,a few times they had ipods and once one had a fecking laptop!,they're not even trying anymore!

i've seen them in cars too... rich ****ers.

Advertisement