Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LMMS is it any good for music production?

Options
  • 23-12-2009 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hey, just wondering if anyone has used LMMS for making electronic music?

http://lmms.sourceforge.net/home.php

I'm into Daft Punk, Digitialism, Deadmau5, Justice and that kinda stuff mostly as well as a load more stuff, but that's the type of music I'd like to try.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

It seems to have all the usual functionality you'd expect from a DAW, they are all pretty much the same to use. It's more down to how good at music production you are as opposed to how good the DAW is.

I've always found that open source stuff like that can always be a pain to get up and running, not too sure if you have to build it yourself, or if there's a .exe. I use a Mac mainly, but it looks like you have to compile it yourself for Windows.

I suppose it you are using Linux and into coding it might be of use, it seems to be written in C/C++. It might be interesting to try and build a plugin for it.

My guess is if you are not pretty experienced with computers you should try using Reaper or something like that, mainly because it looks like a real uber geek program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

LMMS appears to be a Linux and windows version of fruity loops, so it will be able to produce that style of music, dont know anything about linux so i cant say how user friendly it would be, if you're a linux user then give it a go, worst case its not for you, try something else, ubuntu has loads of music software available for it. if you're on windows then reaper is free and lots of people swear by it, including one of sound on sounds regular writers, who uses it for the remix rescue articles every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Quiggers wrote: »
    LMMS appears to be a Linux and windows version of fruity loops, so it will be able to produce that style of music, dont know anything about linux so i cant say how user friendly it would be, if you're a linux user then give it a go, worst case its not for you, try something else, ubuntu has loads of music software available for it. if you're on windows then reaper is free and lots of people swear by it, including one of sound on sounds regular writers, who uses it for the remix rescue articles every month.
    Reaper isn't actually free, you're supposed to pay for the license but if you don't its still unrestricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Yeah I'm using linux so that's why I was thinking LMMS. I'm fairly experienced so setting it up should be ok.

I suppose I'll give it a go for a while anyway and see how I get on, I can always switch to something else.

Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Let us know how you get on with it, I've never heard of it before and it would be interesting to hear more about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Yeah I'll let you know. Don't know an awful lot about this stuff though, so just learning how to use it at the moment by following the wiki.

http://lmms.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

It has a binary version as well as the source files. So you can install it on Windows like a normal program/installer.

I tried it on Windows there and it doesn't seem to support my ASIO driver, only SDL.

The GUI really puts me off though, looks so tacky.

Advertisement