Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to wear to the races?

• 23-12-2009 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

So it's freezing and I've just agreed to go off to the horse races in Dublin after xmas - so just 2 short shopping days to get something if it turns out that I don't have anything suitable in the wardrobe.

What do people wear to the races?!

I only know guys who are going- they're bringing girlfriends, but I don't know them so I can't ask them to do a girly comparison...I'm in my mid twenties and petite. I'm thinking about wearing heels -however is that a good idea with grass? And a black dress - too much? not enough?

what have people worn before? help! totally clueless, it's not really my scene at all, I'll really feel like a fish out of water so aaaaany insight would be much appreciated.

(Not a hope of me wearing a fascinator though! I'd never live it down)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Do you mean stephens day & leopardstown? If so, wear something warm & comfortable. there are some people who dress up, but about 80/90% are wearing normal clothes. theres not much grass, but there IS steps, lots of them, so wear shoes you can get up and down steps while manoevering through crowds in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Definitely go for something warm - nice coat or jacket and definitely bring gloves... And some sort of layering is necessary - I'd always wear tights under trousers on a cold day at the races.

Knee length skirt with boots, or trousers with heels always look nice.

You'll probably be walking on tarmac all day, so if you're wearing heels, wear something that will stand up to that and won't jar your feet. There'll also be steps when you go up on the stands, so something that won't slip off is also necessary.

At a winter race meeting, I'd always wear a knee-length coat, some sort of hat, and gloves. Then, depending on the day, I'd either wear trousers or a skirt just below my knee with boots (boots are great for keeping your legs warm).

It looks smart, but is still functional and, most importantly, warm.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

The races on Stephens Day are great fun youll be fine! My advice would be to wrap up warm! Maybe a nice coat boots and black jeans, and of course its the races so you could wear a hat. Dont wear a dress though Id say I went last year and saw lots of girls blue with the cold! Also theres not much grass if you around if you dont go down near to the track.

Also stick a few pounds e/w on Perce Rock in the Leopardstown hurdle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Styleiser

Unless you're planning on entering the best dressed, I'd say scrap the dress and go super comfy and warm!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

defo stick with warm and comfy as leopardstown has its own flipping climate its sooooo cold out there its crazy!!

I always stick with jeans and heels or boots and a knee length skirt with tights on cold days and can do nothing but laugh at some of the girls wearing tiny mini dresses and stiletto heels teetering around trying to keep warm!!! add a nice cozy coat a hat scarf and gloves and your away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lil*lady

Warmth before fashion it is so.

Thanks everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭waylander2002

interesting im in the very same situation, my gf invited me to go on stephens day, im not from Dublin she is and going with her brother and a number of people in a group who I dont know.
    Shes very excited about he idea of dressing up and told me to wear a shirt and tie. ive no problem with this, but I like my jeans and have some really nice ones, but maybe pants are a necessity.

what do the girls think guys should wear on stephens day at lepoardstown?

i have a nice guide of london black shirt with a matching red/black tie some gas jeans and really nice shoes,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

As you have no doubt found out, those clothes would be fine, waylander.

• Advertisement
Advertisement