Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this good value?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

cmon, you kinda want to tell us what the purpose of the rig will be, for a full rig for surfing the web and sending emails its grand, for gaming/video conversion/intense cpu tasks its a POS. Its at least 4 or 5 years old, microAtx mobo limits expandibility, IT WILL NOT BE UPGRADEABLE to any of the latest cpu or ram as its most likely socket 939.

Also the harddrive size is junk so you'd need to get an extra one if that case has space for one.

You get what you pay for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

lmimmfn wrote: »
    cmon, you kinda want to tell us what the purpose of the rig will be, for a full rig for surfing the web and sending emails its grand, for gaming/video conversion/intense cpu tasks its a POS. Its at least 4 or 5 years old, microAtx mobo limits expandibility, IT WILL NOT BE UPGRADEABLE to any of the latest cpu or ram as its most likely socket 939.

Also the harddrive size is junk so you'd need to get an extra one if that case has space for one.

You get what you pay for :)

The only thing I'll be doing is playing emulators like PSX, SNES, etc, which is grand, the specs on that machine will support that fine. Emm I don't PC game, but I want to play one game only (been discussing it on the Fighting Games forums) so looking for an answer soon, as far as specs is concerned. As far as upgrading is concerned I think I'd only like to upgrade the graphics if that game doesn't work. I'd just be doing regular browsing after that. Also thinking of getting a cap card to capture decent looking video game footage, so maybe that too

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Ramza wrote: »
    The only thing I'll be doing is playing emulators like PSX, SNES, etc, which is grand, the specs on that machine will support that fine. Emm I don't PC game, but I want to play one game only (been discussing it on the Fighting Games forums) so looking for an answer soon, as far as specs is concerned. As far as upgrading is concerned I think I'd only like to upgrade the graphics if that game doesn't work. I'd just be doing regular browsing after that. Also thinking of getting a cap card to capture decent looking video game footage, so maybe that too

What do you think?
    For those emulators it will be fine, it depends what gfx card it is though, but im sure that would be fine.PCSX2 wont run well at all on it.

As for the fighting game, if its SF4, it should run well, you might have to turn down the settings a bit though( again gfx card dependent ). The only problem with upgrading the gfx card on that rig is that the cpu will bottleneck any decent gfx card( at say 1680x1050 ), but it'll be fine for say a 1950x or 7800GT/GTX.

For capturing game footage you have 2 options:
    1. Use software like Fraps( allows you to set how many frames per second you want to capture ).
    2. Use a capture card, but this card would need a digital input or the gfx card of the rig would need an svideo out.
    Both of those solutions would require a decent enough cpu, for emulators it will probably be fine with either solution but if you want to grab digital video @ e.g. 1680x1050 it will be expensive, also you'd need a bigger harddrive.

Advertisement