Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student Union

• 23-12-2009 3:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭

What do you think of this years SU?

I know many people have complained about the SU the past couple of years. I think it certainly seems to be more involved in the student body, ents seems to be particularly active.

(You probably shouldn't mention names of people involved in the SU, keep on the good side of Bryn ;))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Teferi wrote: »

I know many people have complained about the SU the past couple of years. I think it certainly seems to be more involved in the student body, ents seems to be particularly active.

(You probably shouldn't mention names of people involved in the SU, keep on the good side of Bryn ;))

Bingo ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

Well they seem to be good at putting up posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Well they seem to be good at putting up posters.

Please elaborate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I think they're actually doing a pretty good job, based on previous Student Unions we've had.

- Lots of notice for college socials, lots of posters to inform people on what's on.

- Good variety of nights out. Seems they've made an effort this year to do different things, have different artists than before.
    ie. White Party, Felix da housecat.

- they've been pretty good with societies, helping with fundraisers etc.

Much improved on last year, for definite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I think they're actually doing a pretty good job, based on previous Student Unions we've had.

- Lots of notice for college socials, lots of posters to inform people on what's on.

- Good variety of nights out. Seems they've made an effort this year to do different things, have different artists than before.
    ie. White Party, Felix da housecat.

- they've been pretty good with societies, helping with fundraisers etc.

Much improved on last year, for definite!

So they are good at ents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

ANXIOUS wrote: »

Ents are good at Ents.

I think a lot of the work the rest of SU wouldn't be too showy, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Ents are good at Ents.

I think a lot of the work the rest of SU wouldn't be too showy, no?

Yeah your right alot of the stuff would go un-noticed but not everything the only thing pickacucheeks mentioned was ents. I suppose seeing how mark was external ents for two years and three of the same part timers are back again, means they are an experienced bunch.

But has there been a class council ever month?
    Does every class have a class rep?
    Did any of the elected su, show up at any protest over fees?
    Did they organise buses for students to attend these protests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

ANXIOUS wrote: »

Pretty much! They all seem to be putting quite a bit of work in to that side of things.

It's a big part of what the college and students need though, if you think about it:

- Chances for freshers (and students in general) to mix and get to know people.

- Chances to raise money for societies set up and run by students.

- Suitable drink promotions and venues to suit student budgets.

As for the rest of the work they do, I can't really comment ... I'm just discussing what I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

In my opinion I haven't seen a major change in either bad or a good way in how the student union is handled. The socials are the same usual nightclub event, the freshers week was the same events as the last few years(only difference I saw was they made the Mystery tour a bigger scope of where to end up).

As far as involvement in societies, I haven't experienced any hands on help from them and I'm heavily involved in a few societies. I'm sure they would help out if asked but as far as them going out of their way to check if the societies need help I've seen none of this.

Every year I vote for the people with the most potential and good promises but I've gotten to a point where I just ignore the SU,they never seem to follow through with their ideas (the latest president told me he was going to organise main socials in different/better venues yet its still the same tramco/21/tripod) They seem to have great ideas then fall into the comfort of doing what people liked the year before and not taking a chance on something new.

Any social event which doesn't involve a night out i.e weekend trips surfing or even to see a soccer match I would either organise myself or get the help from people running the clubs. They seem to have a lot better handle on advertising it and getting people to go.

Basically I don't rely on the SU because the fact that the members change every year means most cases the club committee's have better experience in organising events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

I have barley noticed them so i not to sure if that is a good thing or bad thing...i mean there not doing anything wrong as events seem to be happening and posters seem to appear left right and centre.......but they have not had any meeting with students or sociteys but hey anything it better then last years

• Advertisement
Advertisement