Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (23/12/09) (Possible snow in south and east later)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Getting very very dark here in wexford town looks like it could p!ss rain any minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

4pm HIRLAM :

3hr-rain.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

temps are dropping here now around -2c so hopefully we should at least reach -7c...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

1C and dropping here in Chapelizod. The sun has gone so darkness will start to set in within an hour or so and the temps will drop way down again. I'm optimistic for a bit of snow come nightfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

4pm HIRLAM :

3hr-rain.gif

Hi is there a later graphic of this chart ?

Is doesnt look like hitting Nrth Dublin..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Temperature at Dublin airport has now plummeted back to 1c from 4c - how did that happen? (I know the sun has gone behind cloud now but there's no strength in th sun at this time of the year anyway). Even if it's only going to rain this evening and tonight, one thing is certain; the roads will be atrocious in the morning and another hard frost is due Christmas eve night.

francosp wrote: »
    Hi is there a later graphic of this chart ?

Is doesnt look like hitting Nrth Dublin..

Thats what it could look like at 4pm, too early to expect anything in Dublin yet. Better chance overnight and early tomorrow morning I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

rc28 wrote: »
    Temperature at Dublin airport has now plummeted back to 1c from 4c - how did that happen? (I know the sun has gone behind cloud now but there's no strength in th sun at this time of the year anyway). Even if it's only going to rain this evening and tonight, one thing is certain; the roads will be atrocious in the morning and another hard frost is due Christmas eve night.

I think the sunshine was bringing that up a bit.

I see Dunmore East temp has dropped for 4c down to 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Bit of high cloud in North Clare atm. Only places reached by the sun have thawed. I don't want any of that rain. Cold clear frosty mght would do just great. Hope the cloud fizzles out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

These are the temperatures at various altitudes in the atmosphere at 4pm today on the East Coast. 850hpa is 1,500m approx. 925hpa is 500m. 1,000hpa is ground level.
    The left hand side of the chart is inland. The right hand side on the Irish Sea.

http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/coupe2.php?mode=0&x1=42&y1=-11&x2=127&y2=52&ech=9

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

squonk wrote: »
    Bit of high cloud in North Clare atm. Only places reached by the sun have thawed. I don't want any of that rain. Cold clear frosty mght would do just great. Hope the cloud fizzles out.

thats what i want i want to see if we can get below -6c cloud always stop that here never seems to happen because cloud always comes or the temp rises for some unknown reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

I see Dunmore East temp has dropped for 4c down to 2c.

1.5c in Waterford City. Very dark and looks like more rain on the way. What a shame very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Temps definitely on the rise here in Kilkenny. There are drops of water falling steadily from the roof of our building as a week's worth of accumulated frost melts. The field across from here has turned from white to a pastel shade of green.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

will the precipitation come as far north as Meath? Just saw the rte forecast and it looks like it will only effect Dublin Coast and southwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

No thaw at all here in Laois (Mountrath), everything still frozen solid outside. Don't think that precip currently in Waterford/Wexford will make it this far north or west though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Anyone hazard a guess as to the likelyhood of this hitting Navan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

A couple of pics from my walk this morning. Not great as is typical of my crap photography skills but hope ye like:

DSC02267.jpg

DSC02268.jpg

Some showers hug the far Atlantic Coastline:
    DSC02274.jpg

DSC02275.jpg

The abandoned and ghostly "western corridor" railway:

DSC02283.jpg

:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Defcol wrote: »
    Anyone hazard a guess as to the likelyhood of this hitting Navan?

im guessing if it does reach us this far north it will be very light and patchy. I think most of the action will be Wexford, Wicklow, South Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

The GFS run looks promsing for tonight and poss tomorrow in terms of precip for east coast around Dublin doesn't it?

UKMO seems to agree?

think we have hope yet!

• Advertisement

Elmo5 wrote: »
    The GFS run looks promsing for tonight and poss tomorrow in terms of precip for east coast around Dublin doesn't it?

UKMO seems to agree?

think we have hope yet!

God I hope you're right, lets hope it finds its way as far north as D11

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Gonzo wrote: »
    im guessing if it does reach us this far north it will be very light and patchy. I think most of the action will be Wexford, Wicklow, South Dublin.

Still 0 Degrees here in Carlow. What is the chances of us getting some snow? I there a possibility of it coming this far inland?

Was on a job this morning on Bennettsbridge Co Kilkenny and it was -4 at 10:30am!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 burkieboy

Heavy snow reports all over wales the precpitation is further in land there hope yet for inland ireland:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Very dark here and bucketing rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The ice hasnt thawed here at all since the weekend ,its getting worse and worse, this is great weather! I see on met eireanns 5 day outlook aswell shows snow for monday!

vlcsnap1366528.png w640.png

vlcsnap1366798.png w640.png

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Ominous clouds have arrived in Sandyford. No rain / sleet / snow yet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

baraca wrote: »
    Very dark here and bucketing rain!

Oh dear! Very cloudy here with a light east breeze. 1.0c here with a DP -0.5c

Big dark clouds pushing in over me now here in Dublin CC.

They look full.. The question though is, "full of what ? "

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Rained in greystones, all the ice is gone.

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Oh dear! Very cloudy here with a light east breeze. 1.0c here with a DP -0.5c
    rain on those stats...even with the minus dp.

Temp is still rising here.

Now 1.4c dp is almost 1c

That would bring the snow line up to about 800 feet here.

Dry and very dull here.
    Rain soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement