Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (23/12/09) (Possible snow in south and east later)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

freezing fog and down to -3 here in cbar

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Dew point sky rocketing, gonna rain here when the precip arrives, hopefully will turn back to snow later. This cold spell sucks!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

rain on those stats...even with the minus dp.

Temp is still rising here.

Now 1.4c dp is almost 1c

That would bring the snow line up to about 800 feet here.

Dry and very dull here.
    Rain soon.

No BB nothing here.....yet! That was a report from Greystones. 1.1c here now with DP -0.4c.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Slightly less precip on the 12Z run out to 24 hours but no other major changes there? Again looks better in the southern midlands than on the east coast.

And as we get rain, looks like Wales gets snow :

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Reports of heavy snow in SE Wales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

rc28 wrote: »
    Temperature at Dublin airport has now plummeted back to 1c from 4c - how did that happen? (I know the sun has gone behind cloud now but there's no strength in th sun at this time of the year anyway). Even if it's only going to rain this evening and tonight, one thing is certain; the roads will be atrocious in the morning and another hard frost is due Christmas eve night.

I pointed this out earlier and so did someone in Dalkey, where the hell did Met Eireann get their 4c from? Everywhere is coated in ice, cars,pavements,side roads etc and I'm only about 3 miles from the Airport!
    According to my calculations today's max was around 1c or 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

And as we get rain, looks like Wales gets snow :

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Reports of heavy snow in SE Wales.

This isnt fair, it seems Dublin is on some sort of exclude list when it comes to snow !

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Pangea wrote: »
    The ice hasnt thawed here at all since the weekend ,its getting worse and worse, this is great weather! I see on met eireanns 5 day outlook aswell shows snow for monday!

vlcsnap1366528.png w640.png

vlcsnap1366798.png w640.png

Looking good, very Christmassy and the weather isn't half bad either!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I have a very small pond out the back here, went out with a sledge hammer to break through the ice, all 2 inches of it, incredible, never seen ice that thick here.
    Still -1 here, everything still white with frost :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Totally still here amd the most magnificent skies and mountain scapes.

Utter silence.

Some thaw today; mud appearing through snow, but suspect that that will change when darkness comes.

Odd over towards Donegal Town; is there fog there, or is mist/cloud over the sea? Still getting fully oriented.

Glorious sunset now...Rosy snow.. Pink icing...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Its white everywhere here after last nights frost, never thawed out today. Very picturesque.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

We've had freezing fog all day, no sun to be seen whatsoever, the 3 inches of snow is frozen now and getting a little annoying to walk on !!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A couple of pics from my walk this morning. Not great as is typical of my crap photography skills but hope ye like:

DSC02267.jpg

DSC02268.jpg

Some showers hug the far Atlantic Coastline:
    DSC02274.jpg

DSC02275.jpg

The abandoned and ghostly "western corridor" railway:

DSC02283.jpg

:)

you're right.... those picture are absolutely ****. i don't know why you bothered uploading them:P

just kidding! great stuff paddy1:) i love the picture of the railway- eerie... the shot of the field, and the showers way in the distance, is excellent too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Well temp seems to have peaked at +0.1c so far here in my backyard. Hovering between 0.0c and 0.1c at the moment. Frost remained but in exposed parts it has melted a little.

Lashing rain in enniscorthy,which is well inland.. I hear and 7c on the car thermometer down there.
    Dry here still and 1.9c

dp behaving the same all day 0.5 c behind at 1.4c

That rain appears to be moving west rather than north so some snow for the very top of mt leinster methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the fog has rolled in again and the temperature is back to 0.2 c

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some very light something falling from the sky here now (not snow). 1.3c DP 0.0c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

sleety rain melting all the frost and ice here now, temp is 0.8C and DP is 0.0C. :mad:

Dan

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Some very light something falling from the sky here now (not snow). 1.3c DP 0.0c
    it will be the hail pellets we had earlier.
    Expect rain mixed in them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

now all of a sudden i dont want that precipitation to arrive here to melt all my lovely frost. seems everywhere is getting rain that has the precipitation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

you're right.... those picture are absolutely ****. i don't know why you bothered uploading them:P

just kidding! great stuff paddy1:) i love the picture of the railway- eerie... the shot of the field, and the showers way in the distance, is excellent too

Thanks Nacho, you scared my a bit there!

Yep, I am disappointed with the shower shots to be honest as they are hardly discernible in those photos. In reality they were magnificent and blood red when set against the rising sun. :o

Gonzo wrote: »
    now all of a sudden i dont want that precipitation to arrive here to melt all my lovely frost. seems everywhere is getting rain that has the precipitation.

I wasn't really expecting any reports of snow until after dark anyway. I'm not giving up hope. Met Eireann were confident enough to talk of accumulations, has to be a good sign. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I pointed this out earlier and so did someone in Dalkey, where the hell did Met Eireann get their 4c from? Everywhere is coated in ice, cars,pavements,side roads etc and I'm only about 3 miles from the Airport!
    According to my calculations today's max was around 1c or 2c.

Just back from Dun Laoghaire, the temp well above freezing and all the frost had gone. Looking at the DL Harbour website, +4.8 C. It certainly felt milder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

Temp and dp still dropping here with no precip so i still am living with alot of hope (citywest here by the way):D:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I wasn't really expecting any reports of snow until after dark anyway. I'm not giving up hope. Met Eireann were confident enough to talk of accumulations, has to be a good sign. :pac:

I wasn't either Maq.
    I was seeing it more towards snow from 9pm.
    I've still concerns over its intensity and just how far inland the precip will travel.certainly a Nowcast event

Looking at http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ this feature seems to be producing exclusivly rain accross the southern UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Just begun to rain now in Kilkenny city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Heavy rain in Clondalkin @1.1c - 76m asl

Roads that were still white are now like glass

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

Light rain in tallght. Dissapointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Twas an ice day here with the temp staying below zero.

pic of ballinacurra creek covered in ice and snow

attachment.php?attachmentid=99833&stc=1&d=1261585151

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement