Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (23/12/09) (Possible snow in south and east later)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

Dyflin wrote: »
    Just back from Dun Laoghaire, the temp well above freezing and all the frost had gone. Looking at the DL Harbour website, +4.8 C. It certainly felt milder.

All the frost gone? I just slipped and fell on my arse there 10 minutes ago! The rain/drizzle has made the frost/ice even more dangerous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Heavy sleet - Temp 2.5 DP.5

& bitter outside

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

jenzz wrote: »

& bitter outside

Where you at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

jenzz wrote: »

& bitter outside

Where are you?

Dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Darkning clouds now, if this falls as rain there is going to be horrible driving conditions since the ground and everything is frozen.
    If its not going to fall as snow I hope that precipitation stays to my east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

two stations already reporting minus 3 .

going to be a bloody cold one for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭knoximus

Kilkenny city 1.3c. Icy all day. Be it rain,sleet or snow its gonna be bad for the roads.

snow plow wrote: »
    Where are you?

Dan

Jens in Bray + 60m

Ice aint melting out there - Roads are gonna be lethal after midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts..

Has finally just got above freezing..

Temperature: 0.2 °C
    Dew Point: -0.1 °C

The raintoday radar shows a lot of rain off the South-east coast. :(

• Advertisement

two stations already reporting minus 3 .

going to be a bloody cold one for some.

Its not often you see 2 stations reporting -3 at 4 in the afternoon,

cold times indeed..:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Encouraging that temps are dropping back here. 0.7c now with DP -0.7c.

I see the 'rain' band is fairly heavy, producing 3.0mm at Johnstown Castle in the last hour, if it manages to turn to snow for some, would be a nice dumping!

dp heading for 2c now..
    At this rate of going we'll be having hot hail Emperor Ming style

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Encouraging that temps are dropping back here. 0.7c now with DP -0.7c.

I see the 'rain' band is fairly heavy, producing 3.0mm at Johnstown Castle in the last hour, if it manages to turn to snow for some, would be a nice dumping!

yep, nothing like a good dumping.....:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

dp heading for 2c now..

Oh bu**ger! Temp on the way back up again here. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

OK my snow watch is over nothing but rain, rain and more bloody rain!!!
    im off to cry in a corner:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

dp heading for 2c now..

Ah man your cracking me up here:pac:

Best laugh all day

Heavy shower of frozen rain & snow there - I can see catty Gallagher & its getting pasted now - Lethal out there - car flashing the squiggly sign he said all the way back from wex which means was skidding...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

joes girls wrote: »
    OK my snow watch is over nothing but rain, rain and more bloody rain!!!
    im off to cry in a corner:(:(

Nothing like a good cry to sort yourself out.

Drizzle started here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Uh oh, sounds like a big downgrade from Met Eireann :
    23 December 2009 16:25

Today

It will be very cold this evening and tonight, with a widespread severe frost, and with freezing fog in places. Most places will have a dry night. The south will become dry also, as rain and sleet there dies out early tonight. The southeast, however, will have further rain and sleet at times overnight, and this will spread into some eastern areas also. The rain and sleet will fall as snow on mountains, and could turn to snow in some other parts too during the night - mainly away from the coast. Lowest temperatures will range + 1 to - 8 C

:rolleyes:

Oh well...

All eyes to the post-xmas cold spell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hey guys sorry had to go christmas shopping! What's the situation with the south so? Are our chances definitely gone with the snow? It rained today much to my utter disgust and horror! Should we be expecting this rain to freeze over tonight? If so we are screwed....:(

Nothing like a good cry to sort yourself out.

:D Time is a great healer.

1.0c and DP -0.5c - it will probably go all BB before the main band arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

leahyl wrote: »
    Hey guys sorry had to go christmas shopping! What's the situation with the south so? Are our chances definitely gone with the snow? It rained today much to my utter disgust and horror! Should we be expecting this rain to freeze over tonight? If so we are screwed....:(

Not lookin good.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Uh oh, sounds like a big downgrade from Met Eireann :

:rolleyes:

Oh well...

All eyes to the post-xmas cold spell!

I could also present that forecast like this

It will be very cold this evening and tonight, with a widespread severe frost, and with freezing fog in places. Most places will have a dry night. The south will become dry also, as rain and sleet there dies out early tonight. The southeast, however, will have further rain and sleet at times overnight, and this will spread into some eastern areas also. The rain and sleet will fall as snow on mountains, and could turn to snow in some other parts too during the night - mainly away from the coast. Lowest temperatures will range + 1 to - 8 C

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

thats much better weathercheck alot of :(:( today we need positive vibes :D:D:D:D keep the faith;) and noo more:(:mad::rolleyes: please thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

It's -2.1 here and dropping fast, roads are lethal so watch yourselves if your on them tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Ah now we hav to think positive man!! ha

Technically i could call D11 a " small " mountain :D

Ye wats the news on the post christmas cold spell?
    If theres no snow , and just cold i wont be happy.

Oh ye did anyone see on sky news this mornin when they wer showing the news papers?
    I think it was the Guardian , and it said
    " Cold snap could last till march"
    As far as i can remember thats how long winter lasts for! ha:)

Off to see Avatar later, hoepfully coming home it shall be a snowy scene :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Dyflin wrote: »
    Just back from Dun Laoghaire, the temp well above freezing and all the frost had gone. Looking at the DL Harbour website, +4.8 C. It certainly felt milder.
    Pavements still treacherous here on N/Side. I had to walk back from the shop like a penguin a few minutes ago.
    cloudy and 1c at the moment but rising I would think, quite a keen E or NE breeze picking up at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Not lookin good.... :(

You mean for ice? Damn could do without that tomorrow!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

It looks like it's turning to snow on the raintoday radar. There is a chance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement