Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (23/12/09) (Possible snow in south and east later)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I could also present that forecast like this

It will be very cold this evening and tonight, with a widespread severe frost, and with freezing fog in places. Most places will have a dry night. The south will become dry also, as rain and sleet there dies out early tonight. The southeast, however, will have further rain and sleet at times overnight, and this will spread into some eastern areas also. The rain and sleet will fall as snow on mountains, and could turn to snow in some other parts too during the night - mainly away from the coast. Lowest temperatures will range + 1 to - 8 C

:D

its hard to say whether the glass is half full or half empty. what is known for definate is that whatever is in the glass is frozen solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I don't know what to expect from tonight, but i doubt it will be as straight forward as some people think.

Plus lots of precip brushing with the east coast all tomorrow.

Then a brief lapse before potentially another prolonged period of cold weather from the east and north.

I however will not be making a new cold spell discussion thread every day then! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I could also present that forecast like this

It will be very cold this evening and tonight, with a widespread severe frost, and with freezing fog in places. Most places will have a dry night. The south will become dry also, as rain and sleet there dies out early tonight. The southeast, however, will have further rain and sleet at times overnight, and this will spread into some eastern areas also. The rain and sleet will fall as snow on mountains, and could turn to snow in some other parts too during the night - mainly away from the coast. Lowest temperatures will range + 1 to - 8 C

:D

Always the optimist! :D I was just pointing out that there is an emphasis on rain and sleet in this forecast whereas before it was more focused on snow.

GFS 12Z is an absolute cracker after Xmas though isnt it? Easterly then Northerly again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 5th Avenue

Snowing heavily here in the hills of South Kilkenny! Don't give up hope yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

kleefarr wrote: »
    It looks like it's turning to snow on the raintoday radar. There is a chance.

The radar cannot tell if it is snow or rain, it is just changing the colour based on what the precipitatio should be according to the forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

5th Avenue wrote: »

aaawww you've got me feeling all christmassy now...sigh....:) snow on the hilltops...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

5th Avenue wrote: »

Where exactly?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Light rain here now (a bit icy/sleety), washing away all my lovely frost. 1.1c DP -0.2c.

Have not quite given up hope yet. As WC says, it's not straightforward. If the rain band pivots, you'd never know what air it could drag in from the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

NOBODY GIVE UP HOPE - Its snowing - very lightly but i went out to check - Flakes alright - The dog is out in her santy coat & its covered in flakes...... Harbour is showing 2.8 & dp of 1 so its fallen back again.. But im good bit higher up the town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Feck off Rain

COMEDY.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

The radar cannot tell if it is snow or rain, it is just changing the colour based on what the precipitatio should be according to the forecast.

Was just about to say the same thing!, unless a new radar system was up integrating temperatures of percip. falling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 5th Avenue

fricatus wrote: »
    Where exactly?

Piltown direction. We're on high ground so not sure what the situation is lower down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Piddling rain in south Dublin:mad:. Looks like all the ice that was on the roads earlier this afternoon has gone, but beware, some of it is still there but just can't be seen now. Nearly put the car through the front door:o - driveway just looked wet, but ffs its 10 times more slippy:eek: than it was three hours ago when it had just frost ice on it.

Can't see this turning to snow. Just doesn't feel cold enough. Unless colder air arrives, the air here now just ain't going to cut it.

Ah well, at least we had a good pleasant dry period here. That doesn't happen often.

mad DIY wrote: »
    Can't see this turning to snow. Just doesn't feel cold enough. Unless colder air arrives, the air here now just ain't going to cut it.QUOTE]

Just a query - my mum always says (and she is no weather expert might i add so she is probably wrong) that it gets slightly milder before snow comes? But you say that it isn't cold enough to snow - just wondering cos i'm hearing two different things....:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sleet being reported at Dublin AP at 1700 on NOAA - temp there 1c DP 1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Raining here in on the costa del Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Just a query - my mum always says (and she is no weather expert might i add so she is probably wrong) that it gets slightly milder before snow comes? But you say that it isn't cold enough to snow - just wondering cos i'm hearing two different things....

I would be exstatic if your mother was right. I'm no more an expert than she is. Just seems too warm. And the cloud colour just didn't look like it either before it got dark, they were purple, instead of greyish white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭knoximus

Temp droppin in kilkenny city. 1.2c

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

nothing happing here in D15, still white from the frost (pity is wasnt snow)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

:(

Thanks for clearing that up.

It's raining now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Just back from Gorey. Temp has risen during afternoon to the point that frost that was present for 2-3 days has melted. Still some ice patches on the pavements. White frost has melted from the roads (although the frozen run off at the side remains white and frozen) so the roads are damp (icy, where water has been running across it). Low temperatures tonight are likely to cause some particularly bad road conditions tomorrow morning- worse than early this morning which was a white frost on dry roads

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Sleety mush in Waterford now. It looks like rain until you see the splat on your windscreen. Footpaths are deadly dangerous.

I'd be amazed to see this stuff turn to snow here. AS USUAL :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Is it true we in the East are getting some snow tonight,please say it's true

Trotter wrote: »
    Sleety mush in Waterford now. It looks like rain until you see the splat on your windscreen. Footpaths are deadly dangerous.

I'd be amazed to see this stuff turn to snow here. AS USUAL :mad:

I feel your pain Trotter - we too have to endure the torture of getting RAIN instead of SNOW:mad: I am now moving onto New Year in the hope that that will bring a snow event:D

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

holly1 wrote: »
    Is it true we in the East are getting some snow tonight,please say it's true

Possibly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

lashing rain in north dublin
    if that freezes it'll be lethal in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

neil2304 wrote: »
    Possibly. :D

That's good enough for me.Thanks Neil;):p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still nothing here, clear to my north and west, and cloudys to my east and south, frost still everywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Already freezing hard here, car reported -1.0 °C ten minutes ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Temp beginning to nosedive here, -1.2c at the moment. Some high cloud to the S and SE.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement