Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (23/12/09) (Possible snow in south and east later)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the rain over dublin is just a shower, the main band of precipitation is still far to the south-east over wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Claremorris is now -4 -1 in Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Claremorris down to -4.0c already!

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Claremorris down to -4.0c already!

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

wow that low already. surely it'll go a degree or two lower before the small hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

1.3C in Maynooth, fallen from 1.7 about 20 minutes ago. Still very frosty here. Hazy edges of clouds, and big masses of clouds were visible to the south-east while it was still light. No sign of any precipitation yet.

I was in at George's Dock in the IFSC in Dublin earlier, and it was still frozen over completely - as was the Royal Canal all the way out.

• Advertisement

wow that low already. surely it'll go a degree or two lower before the small hours.

Very likely, but there always seems to be a "pause" in a temp falls at this time of evening. Very often a sharp fall will occur once the sun goes down, just as a sharp fall will occur soon after sun rise. Will be interesting to see if it will get down to the -7c which Evelyn Cusack suggested it might on the TV forecast last night. :)

How is your own temp doing by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts...

Rain didn't last long..

Temperature: 0.3 °C
    Dew Point: 0.0 °C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

gothwalk wrote: »
    1.3C in Maynooth, fallen from 1.7 about 20 minutes ago. Still very frosty here. Hazy edges of clouds, and big masses of clouds were visible to the south-east while it was still light. No sign of any precipitation yet.

I was in at George's Dock in the IFSC in Dublin earlier, and it was still frozen over completely - as was the Royal Canal all the way out.

yep my dad works beside the royal canal and says it's the first time in the last 25 years that he has seen it frozen over compleatly. :eek:

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hope s[rings eternal here, temp falling again and dp more importantly back in the safety zone.
    The latest Dublin AP taf is promising to, wouldn't be surprised if there isnt a covering by morning and topped up tomorrow :-

EIDW 231700Z 2318/2418 03007KT 9999 FEW018 SCT040
    TEMPO 2318/2418 -SHRASN -SHRA SCT008 BKN018CB
    PROB30
    TEMPO 2318/2324 3000 -SHSN BKN008
    BECMG 2320/2323 07013KT
    BECMG 2404/2407 34012KT
    PROB30
    TEMPO 2407/2418 4000 -SHSN BKN010

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Aww.. you would love it up here...feeling very privileged now..:)
    leahyl wrote: »
    aaawww you've got me feeling all christmassy now...sigh....:) snow on the hilltops...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

0.9c here in Waterford, sleeting away outside. Stove is lighting and the kids aren't fed... tea anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

snow plow wrote: »
    yep my dad works beside the royal canal and says it's the first time in the last 25 years that he has seen it frozen over compleatly. :eek:

It was frozen over out here a couple of times in January/February, but I didn't think George's Dock would freeze. I haven't seen it freeze further into town than Broombridge before.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

:( just looked out and its lashing rain , D15 area

Supercell wrote: »
    Hope s[rings eternal here, temp falling again and dp more importantly back in the safety zone.
    The latest Dublin AP taf is promising to, wouldn't be surprised if there isnt a covering by morning and topped up tomorrow :-

EIDW 231700Z 2318/2418 03007KT 9999 FEW018 SCT040
    TEMPO 2318/2418 -SHRASN -SHRA SCT008 BKN018CB
    PROB30
    TEMPO 2318/2324 3000 -SHSN BKN008
    BECMG 2320/2323 07013KT
    BECMG 2404/2407 34012KT
    PROB30
    TEMPO 2407/2418 4000 -SHSN BKN010
    Well they are obviously wrong anyway...
    I heard a lass from the DAA saying they had the snow ploughs at the ready...obviously on the strength of what the met based in the airport are forecasting.

Here 2 miles from the coast outside Arklow with a wind off the sea its a TROPICAL 4.4c and rising

DP is...oh forget about it....

Here 2 miles from the coast outside Arklow with a wind off the sea its a TROPICAL 4.4c and rising

DP is...oh forget about it....

What are the chances of back edge of that turning to snow as the shallow low moves to the north? I haven't looked at the radar :o

-1.8c.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Still no snow or any rain in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I've arrived back in the north safely after driving home earlier today.

I left Dublin about 10.50am and took it easy and was back into my home down at 1pm. I took the M50, then the M1 as far as the Ardee exit. From there I took the road straight (N2) through/past Carrickmacross and into Castleblayney and then across the border.

When I was driving, the road was clear. On the N2 road from Ardee there was quite a bit of frost and stuff on the hard shoulder but the main road was completely clear. No snow, ice, slush or anything, completely and totally clear. The road looked a little damp in places but otherwise it was ok.

As I came off the M1 the fog along that N2 as far as Castleblayney was bad in places. Also the temp was minus 3 at certain points along the foggy part of the journey. But I had no issues with ice or anything. I took it easy enough and slacked off compared to the speed I'd normally be going. The road didn't seem slippy or anything but I didn't have to be back in the north at any particular time so I just took it handy.

Saw one or two cars just outside Castleblayney at the sides of the road with a bit of damage. No idea how long they'd been there or what happened.

Safe journey to all those driving over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

0.7c here. High cloud. No rain/snow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Lets say what the latest is on the 6.1 news now . . . I am guessing someone from the Met will be on.

• Advertisement

What are the chances of back edge of that turning to snow as the shallow low moves to the north? I haven't looked at the radar :o
    Maybe but I'm deffo in the tropical sector at the moment :pac:

4.5c now for gawds sake lol..

The wind would want to swing round to the west ...

Lol am I reduced to wishing for a westerly now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

-3 here

0.6°C and DP hopping between -0.4 and -0.6°C, it would snow if anything fell from the sky. Just about the right side of marginal here for the moment.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

arctictree wrote: »
    0.7c here. High cloud. No rain/snow.
    I don't think thats even enough for you there artictree.
    The dewpoints seem to need to be below -1c for this mix to support snow.

At current south wicklow temps,it would be lashing rain on the top of croghan at circa 2000ft asl.
    It's actually the warmest here right now that it has been all week :/

Maybe but I'm deffo in the tropical sector at the moment :pac:

4.5c now for gawds sake lol..

The wind would want to swing round to the west ...

Lol am I reduced to wishing for a westerly now :p

Well there is always a chance that the PPN will keep going on the lows western edge as it moves away. t'would be dragging some very cold air in behind it. It is just a case of getting the right things at the right time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Steady rain, no wind.

Freezing fog now. Temp steady at -1.8c.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

-4.2c (air) -8.3c (ground) here in Ballinrobe, Co Mayo

I don't think thats even enough for you there artictree.
    The dewpoints seem to need to be below -1c for this mix to support snow.

At current south wicklow temps,it would be lashing rain on the top of croghan at circa 2000ft asl.
    It's actually the warmest here right now that it has been all week :/

Actually I seemed to catch the edge of that shower giving rain to Dublin now and there was some really light snow from it.
    Just about the right side of marginal here and presumably for arctictree too.

I wish it would hurry up and move up over here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Just thought Id share with you all what my Granny told regarding predicting the weather, " Just stick your fecking head out the window!!!"

She never had much time for Evelyn Cusack and the rest:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement