Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (23/12/09) (Possible snow in south and east later)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Air temp 2c, DP 2c in Waterford City now.

I'm off to Kilkenny now for Christmas, might see a flake or two in the morning I hope. :pac:

See you all in the post-xmas cold thread next week!

Happy Christmas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Safe journey maquiladora, happy Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Cold sleety rain here now, temperature at 1.4C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Well there is always a chance that the PPN will keep going on the lows western edge as it moves away. t'would be dragging some very cold air in behind it. It is just a case of getting the right things at the right time.

I agree with that statement,in fact there's no real need for any panic yet.
    I was expecting nearly all rain as it approached then much later swing around from north to give falls especially over high ground.
    It is a nowcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

gothwalk wrote: »
    It was frozen over out here a couple of times in January/February, but I didn't think George's Dock would freeze. I haven't seen it freeze further into town than Broombridge before.

Well where he is it is the first time, it came very close a few times last winter though.

Dan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

WOW, the met office radar has showed precipitation really pep up just south of me.
    Its knife edge stuff, will it fall as snow here, only time will tell, but if it does I could get a good bit.
    0.2c ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

This wait is killing me, why wont it move north already!
    I wont be sober enough to post about it at this rate :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

Air temp 2c, DP 2c in Waterford City now.

I'm off to Kilkenny now for Christmas, might see a flake or two in the morning I hope. :pac:

See you all in the post-xmas cold thread next week!

Happy Christmas.

be safe have a good one, thanks for all your help to date:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

temps dropping off ... 2,4... moon hazed over by high cloud

Supercell wrote: »
    This wait is killing me, why wont it move north already!
    I wont be sober enough to post about it at this rate :D
    Carefull what you wish for.
    Whatever sort of air thats coming with this system,the best it did on the high ground down here was a half hours sleety snow and then rain!
    In other words when it comes it will bring higher dewpoints and warmer air.

I'm not being despondent-just relaying whats happening 20 miles or less down the road.

• Advertisement

Carefull what you wish for.
    Whatever sort of air thats coming with this system,the best it did on the high ground down here was a half hours sleety snow and then rain!
    In other words when it comes it will bring higher dewpoints and warmer air.

I'm not being despondent-just relaying whats happening 20 miles or less down the road.

Yeah but then i can moan about the unfairness of the Leitrim, Kerry, Mayo and Donegal westies that got the lovely sneachta when we really deserve it more here!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

-5.9 in Ardee (Reaghstown)
    +6.1 in Arklow

Can that be right?, warmest place in the country by a long way...

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

It's even happening due east of you at mothmans with +5c :eek:

Everything under this infernal system is just on the wrong side of marginal [really high up] to blooming tropical!
    It may advect in some of the cold surface air later but to be honest it's all a mix.
    We need pure.
    I prefer strong Tea :D

Cionád wrote: »
    -5.9 in Ardee (Reaghstown)
    +6.1 in Arklow

Can that be right?, warmest place in the country by a long way...

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm
    Oh it's most definitely right.
    Look at the wind speed 10kmph East in off the sea direct only a half mile away.
    The m2 buoy was 7c earlier.
    My station is west of there further inland and it's now 4.2c.
    I know when I drive in towards the town the temp always rises a degree or two.
    The next report from there though should see it having dropped a tad as it has here.

Incidently as I posted earlier,someone rang me from Enniscorthy where their car thermometer was reading +7c at 4pm.

As I said We have a tropical sector in the infernal machine...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

air temp is now -4.9c here in Ballinrobe, Mayo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

raining here now:(

frost melting fast like the blink of an eye. It feels about 4C warmer than it was 10 minutes ago. Some serious rapid temperature rise's with this rain. Looks like RTE really called this one wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Gonzo wrote: »
    raining here now:(

frost melting fast like the blink of an eye. It feels about 4C warmer than it was 10 minutes ago. Some serious rapid temperature rise's with this rain.

Ice pellets and intermittent sleet falling here - the back roads are like glass now and I actually fell over while walking back from bus!

In town it was pure miserable rain but then on N3 around Clonee it suddenly turned to heavy sleet. The ground is so frozen I doubt all the frost will dissappear. In any event, it will all re-freeze again tonight and tomorrow the roads will be a death rink!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I drove home from Dublin city centre just after 5pm, temp in the car was 7c in the city centre, dropped down to 6c as I approached Drumcondra, 4c as I left the other end of Drumcondra and finally 2.5c when I got back to Lusk... rained (what an awful waste of precipitation!) most of the way but when I got back to Lusk it was still frozen over on my road from this morning with no sign of rain!

Just thought I'd share that. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

in a way i hope it go's coz todays frost and icy road spoiled my plans for 2nite and i really need to make it to the pub 2moro evening for my annual christmas eve drinkies

Temperature not rising yet, still 0.6°C but DP is, up to -0.2°C just about ok for snow here, eh..hope the precip comes soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Rain here in D11, its "kinda" sleety though.
    :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Snow falling in the south midlands (Tipp) according to a poster on NetWeather:

"Moderate snow here for the last 30 mins, coating of a few centimeters everywhere with no let up in sight. Temperature at it's max for the day at the moment, 0.1C! Min of -4.3C for the second morning running..."

Sleet is getting heavier here but judging by radar it should end soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

2.4c and rain in Carlow!

Anyone in Rathdrum here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

It may be 6C here, but much of the ground is frozen and any rain for a while will freeze.

The drizzle earlier is solid here.

Take this as a warning that it'll take some time for the ground to thaw and there may be a load of black ice even with 6C air temp and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Snow flurry just south of Cork City for 5 minutes and its landed.
    Thats about as good as it gets for this neck of the woods.
    Thats our quota of snow for the winter used up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Weather on RTE predicting a white Christmas 'for some'. Graphics showing snow in west, but rather than progessing the sequence it just jumped to when the snow reached Wales. Is that going to be another 'west gets all the snow and the east just gets rain' event ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

still snow forecasted for the east tonight so not worried just yet:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Supercell wrote: »
    Anyone in Rathdrum here?

Yep, huge freeze at the moment, roads are still ok. Do you think we might get some snow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

still snow forecasted for the east tonight so not worried just yet

Yep, met eireann still think those inland will be happy going by that forecast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement