Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (23/12/09) (Possible snow in south and east later)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

rc28 wrote: »
    Snow falling in the south midlands (Tipp) according to a poster on NetWeather:

"Moderate snow here for the last 30 mins, coating of a few centimeters everywhere with no let up in sight. Temperature at it's max for the day at the moment, 0.1C! Min of -4.3C for the second morning running..."

Sleet is getting heavier here but judging by radar it should end soon.

No snow here and looking at the radar its literally just a few miles south of me, please let it move just a bit north, PLEASE SNOW GODS HELP ME;)

Bone dry here with the warm air advecting goodo from the irish sea.
    We havent seen any precip here since 1pm or so whilst it's been raining all day in Enniscorthy I hear.

Mind you theres a huge difference in the temp in Enniscorthy now and what it was earlier.
    The nra station on the north side of the town and only 20 miles down the road from me is at 1.8c

Amazing little country we have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

whitemocha wrote: »
    still snow forecasted for the east tonight so not worried just yet:D

Yeaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!1:D:p:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Considering how wet the roads are here now in Waterford City i'm wondering how cold will it get when ths rain passes? Will the very cold freezing temps come back and we get roads like glass???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Yep, huge freeze at the moment, roads are still ok. Do you think we might get some snow?

Yep, I reckon you'll do well there, you are my early warning system , the precip will probably arrive there 15-20 mins before here :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

fisab wrote: »
    Snow flurry just south of Cork City for 5 minutes and its landed.
    Thats about as good as it gets for this neck of the woods.
    Thats our quota of snow for the winter used up :)

Snow flurry in Cork City you say??! Please come to the Northside of the city snow!!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

-6 in Claremorris at the moment . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is being annoyed at a weather system irrational?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

temp just jumped up to 5 degrees, I think I might just stop hoping:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Supercell wrote: »
    Is being annoyed at a weather system irrational?

Not all Supercell, not....at.....all:mad::mad:!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'm keeping the eyes peeled for any snow action here...... :D its getting colder and colder.. We had a few small snow flurries earlier at about 3pm but that was taken over by rain. Some of the secondary roads are lethal..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

most the the frost is gone now, its just stopped raining and already its starting to freeze over... amazing how it goes from a sub-zero day to mild and wet and back to frost again... mother nature is throwing everything she got at us to make sure it does not snow here during this cold spell:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The droplets on the car are just slightly frozen, still overcast and damp in the air.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

0.0c here now with DP -1.1c. Rain earlier did not clear the forst! Road and pavement outside is lethal.

I see Cork AP is reporting light snow showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

where are we going to see the lowest temp tonight?
    does any know the record low temp in Ireland and where it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Gonzo wrote: »
    most the the frost is gone now, its just stopped raining and already its starting to freeze over... amazing how it goes from a sub-zero day to mild and wet and back to frost again... mother nature is throwing everything she got at us to make sure it does not snow here during this cold spell:(

+1
    Ground is still completely frozen though.
    It's actually hilarious how bad our luck has been in the east this cold spell - it's -6c in Clarmorris but +6c in parts of Wickow because the wind decides to blow in off the warm Irish sea the ONE TIME we actually get proper precipitation forecast for this side of the country.

The roads will be a disaster by morning time. The rain and sleet will probably have washed most of the grit/salt off the roads and will readily refreeze through this evening and tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 burkieboy

• picture.png
    • Group: Members
    • Location:Ballyporeen, South Tipperary, Ireland. 90m asl Or Cork City
    Posted 49 minutes ago
    Moderate snow here for the last 30 mins, coating of a few centimeters everywhere with no let up in sight. Temperature at it's max for the day at the moment, 0.1C! Min of -4.3C for the second morning running...

Yes, a tiny net is a death sentence.... it's a net and it's tiny!

:mad: if there is a God then he's obviosly just taken the piss tbh:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

Raining and just above 0 degs. Still icy where the sun didn't reach today, otherwise roads are fine, no frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

+2.0c here - WTF?

This precip seems to be avoiding Wicklow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

demakinz wrote: »
    where are we going to see the lowest temp tonight?
    does any know the record low temp in Ireland and where it was?

from met eireann-

The lowest air temperature was -19.1°C measured at Markree Castle, Co. Sligo on 16th January 1881 while the lowest observed 20th century air temperature was -18.8°C recorded at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979. The lowest observed grass minimum temperature was -19.6°C at Dublin (Glasnevin) on 12th January 1982 which was almost matched by the -19.5°C measured at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Some Armagh Christmas pics. Taken a few hours ago. Unfortunately the camera wasn't fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

-6c in a number of locations, even in the northeast according to the NRA weather stations; see map on the following page http://www.irelandsweather.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Villain wrote: »
    2.4c and rain in Carlow!

Must be a local event. Still touching 0 Degrees in the centre of Carlow with NO thaw. Temp has been rising since late afternoon though.

Could some of the experts please clarify this for me, that front (line of showers) has looks like its stalled or receded furthur south, but the models have it pushing nort and east, no.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

mike65 wrote: »
    from met eireann-

The lowest air temperature was -19.1°C measured at Markree Castle, Co. Sligo on 16th January 1881 while the lowest observed 20th century air temperature was -18.8°C recorded at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979. The lowest observed grass minimum temperature was -19.6°C at Dublin (Glasnevin) on 12th January 1982 which was almost matched by the -19.5°C measured at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979."

I'm surprised they could find any grass in Glasnevin in January 1982. Must have been digging for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Still zero degrees in limerick

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Could some of the experts please clarify this for me, that front (line of showers) has looks like its stalled or receded furthur south, but the models have it pushing nort and east, no.:confused:

ah fek it , i'm off to sweden ffs:p

I've lost the will to care at this stage

Evening all :)
    Just home from town, my driveway is like glass.
    Does anyone think we have a chance in hell of snow this evening?

Thanks.

Ps, waiting for yr sattillte thing to upload. sat24, looks to me like it maybe could, but Im no expert, obviously:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

dublincelt wrote: »
    Must be a local event. Still touching 0 Degrees in the centre of Carlow with NO thaw. Temp has been rising since late afternoon though.

I've noticed a slight thaw the past couple of hours since its become overcast. We had a very slight bit of drizzle a while back, temp currently 0.9c and bouncing back and forth, hasnt gone sub zero this evening yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement