Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (23/12/09) (Possible snow in south and east later)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

*Drools* hmmmm..............thundersnowww

:p

I think Supercell got some last Feb...... Lucky ba.... him :D

I got thunder snow last february aswell.

Well, I got the big storm in July :P Definitely no snow in that one though :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAjmPlnGaAY

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Washout wrote: »
    had a rain shower here froze instantly id say and now ice everywhere...wondering if it will be safe to drive to cork tomorrow
    Yeah I've noticed, paths and roads absolutely treacherous, is this whats known as ice rain cos if it is then its an extremely rare event here in Ireland.
    Any opinions on what ice rain actually is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I got some too........

.....yearssssssssss ago, 94 or 95 I think, was out in the open when it happened, whiteout!! :eek:

• Advertisement

Yeah I've noticed, paths and roads absolutely treacherous, is this whats known as ice rain cos if it is then its an extremely rare event here in Ireland.
    Any opinions on what ice rain actually is?

Nah it's not ice rain or freezing rain. What's happening here now is just the ground temps are below 0 and the rain is freezing shortly after impact.
    Freezing rain is a different thing altogether. Freezing rain freezes almost instantly on any surface it contacts including trees/power lines etc. We'd know all about it if it was freezing rain!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freezing_rain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Maybe you are thinking of an ice storm (not ice rain).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_storm

ice_storm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Clear skies over Rathdrum now.. a bit cold... not very cold yet.

Having a naturally chilled beer and some home made chicken Kiev at the moment... then its out for a walk.. will report back findings in 1 hour....

P.S. What is it about naturally chilled beer that makes it so good.. hic-up

Any reports from Cork? There's a good blob of precip over the city now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Rougies wrote: »
    Any reports from Cork? There's a good blob of precip over the city now.

Yes precipitation....in the form of rain:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Well I hate to say it people but.....I told you so. :(

It's still early days I suppose but since last night I've held out no optimism for this system, apart for a sprinkling for the lucky few on high enough ground.

The airmass has become too modified in the last day or so. There is no cold advection to spruce things up. The enormous sea track of the airmass down around the west and southwest of Ireland has taken its toll. H850 temps of -4°C at best, above-zero dewpoints, and no upper PVA to sustain convection. I took GFS forecast soundings for several points in the southeast and east for this evening and tonight and they all said no thank you, not this time.

I think the lucky ones again are those in the western half of the country who can look forward to more low temperatures and nice photo opportunities. For us in the east I see only mire.....and black ice! :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

exceptionally cold in westport co. mayo where fog has lingered all day,
    even out at my coastal extremity location is extremely cold tonight!

-8 is forecast for the westport area tonight.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Me too!

Ah ffs, and you're only a couple of miles away :(

Although maybe I was caught napping at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

snow at dublin airport according to met.ie

forkassed wrote: »
    snow at dublin airport according to met.ie

And for Cork airport. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Su Campu wrote: »
    Well I hate to say it people but.....I told you so. :(

It's still early days I suppose but since last night I've held out no optimism for this system, apart for a sprinkling for the lucky few on high enough ground.

The airmass has become too modified in the last day or so. There is no cold advection to spruce things up. The enormous sea track of the airmass down around the west and southwest of Ireland has taken its toll. H850 temps of -4°C at best, above-zero dewpoints, and no upper PVA to sustain convection. I took GFS forecast soundings for several points in the southeast and east for this evening and tonight and they all said no thank you, not this time.

I think the lucky ones again are those in the western half of the country who can look forward to more low temperatures and nice photo opportunities. For us in the east I see only mire.....and black ice! :mad:

what does pva stand for?

i won't lie to you it's a nice scene this side of the country:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Touching on -4c here now in my suburban back garden. Fog coming and going. Incredible amount of coal smoke too. A true winter's night. :)

what does pva stand for?

i won't lie to you it's a nice scene this side of the country:)

Positive Vorticity Advection obviously :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Is there a certain time during the night where the temperature is at it's coldest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

she is still saying snowwwwwwwwwwww:D;)

leahyl wrote: »
    Is there a certain time during the night where the temperature is at it's coldest?

I think its in the morning, around 6-9am or so, at least thats when it is with me. Thats of course if the weather doesnt change, get overcast etc in the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

leahyl wrote: »

Under normal clear sky conditions, the period around sunrise is usually the coldest time of the night.
    Snow is being reported at Cork Apt at 9pm. You seeing any Leahyl?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

temperatures are at their lowest just before sunrise

whitemocha wrote: »
    she is still saying snowwwwwwwwwwww:D;)

Do elaborate! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

Do elaborate! :)

sorry evlyn on rte still says that there is a chance of snow on the east tonight;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

18z GFS virtually vanishes all the precip forecast up the east coast!

Amazing stuff really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

-6 in claremorris at 9 pm .

-2.8c here.

whitemocha wrote: »
    sorry evlyn on rte still says that there is a chance of snow on the east tonight;)

it'll be up on the RTE player within the next hour if anyone missed it (like me)

http://www.rte.ie/player/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Rougies wrote: »
    it'll be up on the RTE player within the next hour if anyone missed it (like me)

http://www.rte.ie/player/

how do you get that to work it dosnt work here.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement