Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (23/12/09) (Possible snow in south and east later)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

owenc wrote: »
    how do you get that to work it dosnt work here.....

Cause you ain't part of the Republic bro!

Only messin. Eve just spoke of potential snow for the east and frost elsewhere. She mentioned a possible reload after St Steven's day too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

how do you get that to work it dosnt work here.....

There are ways. But we're not allowed to tell you. Google is your friend ;)

It's ridiculous that people in Northern Ireland can't watch RTE online.

The BBC block us, but two wrongs etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Only messin. Eve just spoke of potential snow for the east and frost elsewhere. She mentioned a possible reload after St Steven's day too. :)

...and what about snow for christmas day paddy1? what did she say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

possibly in the west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Could be fairly severe for a time as it meets the cold air on x mas day she said

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

erm it says it works in ni!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Under normal clear sky conditions, the period around sunrise is usually the coldest time of the night.
    Snow is being reported at Cork Apt at 9pm. You seeing any Leahyl?

Cork airport is a bit of a microclimate that is rarely indicative of what's going on in Cork City. There hasn't been anything other than drizzle in the city so far.

She said there is a possibilty of a white christmas as this front encounters very cold air on Christmas morning. She showed HIRLAM showing the rainband heading for -4c overland. It will be brief, but what better could you ask for than to see snow on Christmas morn? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I was just out and about in the Limerick suburbs - freezing hard again tonight! The snow that fell on Sunday is still lying on the ground as if it fell a few hours ago.

Some of the roads in the estates in Castletroy are like ice rinks, deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

RTE serve the nation and as such RTE is available in N Ireland. However:
    Residential BT Broadband customers in Northern Ireland cannot currently access RTÉ Player as residential BT Broadband customers have a variable IP address that changes every time you turn on and off the modem. This variable IP address incorrectly states that users in Northern Ireland are from England or Scotland. If you go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ this will tell you what region it is incorrectly claiming you are from. Due to this fact the RTÉ servers are being told you are not in Northern Ireland and you are not granted access.

The only way to get this changed is for customers to make official complaints to BT to get this changed. If you contact them they will originally tell you that it is not their problem despite the fact that it quite obviously is, however you can then ask to register a complaint. If enough people do this they will have to take action and make an arrangement with RTÉ to allow NI residents to access the RTÉ content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Solair wrote: »
    Cork airport is a bit of a microclimate that is rarely indicative of what's going on in Cork City. There hasn't been anything other than drizzle in the city so far.

I can confirm that. The airport is a few hundred feet above the level of the city so it doesn't surprise me its snowing there. Theres a small amount of sleet in the rain at sea level.

erm it says it works in ni!

Then there is no reason why it should not work for ye ;)

malman wrote: »
    RTE serve the nation and as such RTE is available in N Ireland. However:

ok thanks i just checked that and apparently im from the lake district funny how does that happen...

ok thanks i just checked that and apparently im from the lake district funny how does that happen...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63633366&postcount=551

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Leeside wrote: »
    I can confirm that. The airport is a few hundred feet above the level of the city so it doesn't surprise me its snowing there. Theres a small amount of sleet in the rain at sea level.

I'm just a few miles south of Cork airport and only slightly below it. I'm at 115m asl and the airport is around 140-150m asl.

We are getting snow drizzle on and off all evening. Landing away but very light covering. Assume just at the snow line and the city is rain/sleet.

She said there is a possibilty of a white christmas as this front encounters very cold air on Christmas morning. She showed HIRLAM showing the rainband heading for -4c overland. It will be brief, but what better could you ask for than to see snow on Christmas morn? :)

nothing paddy1. aside from a bunch of naked women asking you to play in the snow with them:o

LIVERPOOL AIRPORT NOW CLOSED due to same low hitting us

very heavy snow

Does anybody know what the weather is going to be like beyond St. Stephen's day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Seeing as I've seen SFA snow so far, this afternoon I flew from Weston to the Mullingar area. I planned on going up to Leitrim etc but got delayed so Mullingar was as far as I could get.

As I passed Kinnegad I found the landscape turn more and more white, with visually no thaw all day (this was at 2pm). It was amazing to see some small lakes frozen solid, and some larger ones starting to freeze around the edges.

Below are some photos of Mullingar and Lough Owel areas (taken from 6,500 and 3,000ft)

Mullingar
    IMG_1494.JPG

The Shannon and Beyond
    IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

IMG_1507.JPG

IMG_1510.JPG

IMG_1512.JPG

IMG_1513.JPG

IMG_1514.JPG

Does anybody know what the weather is going to be like beyond St. Stephen's day?

it looks like the cold weather could be returning.

• Advertisement

on the bt hub i just turned it off and sure enough when i checked we had moved from lake district the whole way upto glasgow which is still 80 miles away!!!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055777808

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

It hasn't snowed here but today everywhere was white with frost and it stayed like that for the whole day.

Tonight it has rained lightly two or three times, the water on the ground froze within minutes, and now everything is coated with a dense layer of ice.

I walked out to the road, and I could barely keep my footing on it. It would be practically impossible to drive on it without ending up in a ditch.

Su Campu wrote: »
    Seeing as I've seen SFA snow so far, this afternoon I flew from Weston to the Mullingar area. I planned on going up to Leitrim etc but got delayed so Mullingar was as far as I could get.

As I passed Kinnegad I found the landscape turn more and more white, with visually no thaw all day (this was at 2pm). It was amazing to see some small lakes frozen solid, and some larger ones starting to freeze around the edges.

Below are some photos of Mullingar and Lough Owel areas (taken from 6,500 and 3,000ft)

Mullingar
    IMG_1494.JPG

The Shannon and Beyond
    IMG_1502.JPG

excellent photos. thanks for sharing them.

excellent photos. thanks for sharing them.

+1

Excellent stuff Su Campu!
    We now have our very own boards.ie weather forum aerial photographer! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ check out the red blob over balbriggin anyone live there????

LIVERPOOL AIRPORT NOW CLOSED

update

extreamly heavy downpour of snow closed airport in minutes.

ground staff trying to clear runway

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

redsunset wrote: »
    LIVERPOOL AIRPORT NOW CLOSED

update

extreamly heavy downpour of snow closed airport in minutes.

ground staff trying to clear runway

That's our snow! Send it back! :D

Rougies wrote: »

Thanks for that. I didn't realise there was a thread started already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The forecast earlier was something else, it said on the forecast on met eireann that christmas morning could be severe with snow in places!
    This weather has been magnificent, it was -5 earlier in the car temperture thing here in donegal! Cars are abandoned in places because the roads are so bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement